Author Topic: Upcoming surgeries - Liz, Lacey, Charlene & Dave Benz  (Read 6892 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Upcoming surgeries - Liz, Lacey, Charlene & Dave Benz
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:34:03 pm »
As LADavid mentioned earlier this evening, it's a busy week on the AN Calendar.  Carrie is scheduled for surgery tomorrow (Tuesday), followed by Liz H (Effiya) on Wednesday, Lacey on Thursday, and Charlene and Dave Benz on Friday.

IMO it's never too early to wish our fellow forumites the best, so since we've already got two threads going for Carrie, I wanted to officially start this one for Liz, Lacey, Charlene, and Dave.

Good luck you guys!  My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and I wish each of you the best.  I can't wait to personally welcome you back as posties!

Stay strong and know you are not alone in your AN journeys.

Best wishes to all,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

Re: Upcoming surgeries - Liz, Lacey, Charlene & Dave Benz
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:14 pm »
No slow AN week here (as Steve once put it).  To all of you future posties, I'm sending you my prayers and best wishes for great surgeries and speedy recoveries.  And Dave, I'm hoping to be able to visit you at St Vincents.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:15:57 am »
Okay, I'll wish them all well, but I am at least giving them each their own sentence.  ;)

Liz, best wishes on your surgery on Wednesday.
Lacey, best wishes on your surgery on Thursday.
Charlene, best wishes on your surgery on Friday.
Dave, best wishes on your surgery on Friday.
I see some middle-fossas scheduled in there, so extra wishes for hearing preservation as well.

Busy indeed. I hope all goes well, and we will see you all back here shortly.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:16 pm »
Yes, The AN Treatment calendar is full this week so lots of prayers and good vibes are filling the air.

Liz, Lacey, Charlene, Dave: May your treatment go smoothly and may you emerge with much success and no complications - and may your recovery be swift and complete.  :)  We'll see you back on the 'other side' as 'posties' as soon as you're able.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:27:46 pm »
Good luck to everyone have a surgery this week!  Speaking from recent experience, it's no cakewalk but you live from it.. You all will do GREAT!  Just relax everyone!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:30:18 pm »
Liz, Lacey, Charlene and Dave Benz,

Praying for a successful outcome.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:27 pm »
Hello  --

This is Lacey's daughter, I just wanted to let everyone know that she is out of surgery and everything went very well.  The surgeon said he got 100% of the tumor and he expects her to do fine.  They are moving her to ICU very soon.

Thanks for all of your prayers.  We appreciate it.

Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:14:13 pm »
Lacey's daughter -

thank you for the quick update.  I'm delighted to hear that your mom's AN was 100% removed - very good news  ;D

When she's feeling up to it, please tell her we are thinking of her and wishing her the best for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:55:03 pm »
Hi Lacey's Daughter

Thank you so mmuch for the fast reply.  We get kinda antsy around here when we don't know what's going on with our AN buddies.  Great news on your mom's surgery.  Please give her our best and make sure she gets some rest and doesn't try to tackle too much too soon.

BTW, my daughter was my number one supporter when I had my surgery.  You guys are the best kind of support there is  ;D

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 02:15:09 pm »
Lacey's Daughter:

Allow me to add my thanks for your thoughtful update on your mom.  I'm delighted to learn she did so well.  Prayers will be said for her full recovery and of course, we hope she'll be up to posting here soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:22 pm »
Thanks for the update!  I'm glad they got it all with no danger anywhere else!  That's great news!  When she's up to it, tell her "Hi" from us!

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »
Hey All --

This is Lacey's daughter giving another update.  She had a pretty rough night last night in ICU.  They are having trouble controlling her pain and she was vomitting quite a bit through the night and this morning.  She got a low fever and her blood sugars are running a little high (something she's never had trouble with before).  They are keeping her in ICU for another night just to watch her closely.  When I left for a little while late this afternoon she seemed to be doing a little better.  She had finally slept for a little while (she didn't sleep last night).

Thanks for your concern and prayers, it is appreciated!
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:09:05 pm »
Lacey's Daughter,

I know the ICU can be scary, but it may be the best place for her right now.  I know my surgery wasn't over until almost 7:30pm and I didn't get moved until 8pm the next day.  Of course, I remember none of it.  I'm glad she seemed to doing better later in the afternoon.  She'll make it through this part of her recovery just fine.  Stick by her side, like you have so far, and everything will be fine.  Keep faith.  Keep praying for her just as we all do.

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 11:32:54 pm »
Lacey's daughter -

keep in mind that it's very soon after your mom's surgery and she's been through a lot, so the rough night is very normal.  She may continue to have rough nights down the line, but in most cases patients who have had AN surgery improve daily - even if it's only a little bit.  She will eventually get to a point where her good days are more frequent than her bad days. 

Although I didn't have any pain post op, I did have incredible nausea for days.  I couldn't keep food down for a while and nothing they gave me for the nausea seemed to work.  In time that issue got better on it's own.  The best advice I can give you is to encourage her to eat - even small amounts of food when her nausea subsides.  I know this sounds strange when she is vomiting, but in order to get up and walk around in a day or two like the doctors will want her to, she will need to have strength.  Not eating will make her weak and may hinder her progress; this happened to me and as a result I was kept in the hospital an extra night.

It's hard to sleep well post op - medical people keep coming into the room at all hours and it's also hard to get comfortable with a huge pressure bandage on your head, but the more sleep your mom can get, the better.

I'm keeping your mom in my prayers and am confident that everything will be fine for her.

Thanks for your update.  Make sure you get some rest; surgery is hard on family members also.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 10:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the update on Lacey.  I can't believe I missed this thread and her date of surgery.  It sounds like she is having a tough time right now and will keep her in my prayers.  I hope she starts feeling and doing better soon. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!