Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you have?  (Read 4895 times)

Pembo

What kind of cell phone do you have?
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:20:09 pm »
Being SSD I rely on the vibrate feature of my cell phone over the ringer. I can never hear the ringer! My phone is now "old" and I'm looking for a replacement. Any suggestions out there? How do my other SSD friends handle this?
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

oHIo

Re: What kind of cell phone do you have?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:33 pm »
No suggestions, just waiting for my contract to expire in December to get another one.  I can't hear mine ring or half the time feel it vibrate.  Texting is worthless, because I can't see the screen without my reading glasses (which have nothing to do with my age ::) )  I currently have an LG 8300.  There is a new version out, but I am looking at the LG enV2.  It has a nice big screen for texting.  I need to find someone who has one and try it out first. 

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:22:19 pm »
yeah same here, i don't brother to turn up my phone anymore since i don't hear the ringer, so i just put it in silent/vibrate mode now.  think silent/vibrate mode is a standard feature for all the latest phones? could be wrong, i am getting the new 3G iphone which is coming out on July 11th, hope they have this feature  ;D 
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:01:56 pm »
I have a Sony Erickson, but I solved the not being able to hear the ring.  I now have a little cartoon like voice that says,"my friends calling me, you dont't have one", and it goes on and on with silliness.  It makes everyone smile and I know it is my phone and not something else going off.  It works for me!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:52 pm »
Mine is a Samsung.  It plays Humoresque for me.  It is a silly old song that grabs my attention right away.

I use a Jabra ear set, works great.  I don't text message.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:12:45 pm by Boppie »

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:19:21 pm »
I use the Palm 680 which works for me.  I always have it on vibrate when I'm out and about.  I also use a headset (bluetooth) that connects to both my cell and the lifter on my office phone.  It works for me except I take out the headset partially when I'm not on the phone becuase I can't hear anything else clearly if I leave it in.  ;)  It also has a nice big screen and a full qwerty keyboard for texting, which I do alot.  And, what sets it apart is that each conversation shows up like a chat session rather than all jumbled together, which makes it easier.  I'm also on the 3G network.

Brian
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:21:49 pm by Pooter »
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:21:32 pm »
Most of the major carriers will allow you to return and exchange a phone within the first 30 days if you are unhappy with the first phone. even if it doesn't meet your expectations.  I don't have a  AN, but do have a significant vision problem.  oHIo i have the Env 9900, and I LOVE it for texting.  The screen is large, easy to use and I love the keyboard.  I've had several friends that checked out the Env 2, but returned to the 9900 so you might want to check out both.  Who'd thought that a Grandma would be texting like a teenager, (tho not as fast)

You might want to check out www.cnet.com and check out the reviews, both user and cnet  rating for phones.  There is usually a video that you can watch as well as the written review.  I've found it useful.  My grandson likes to rub it in that his LG 8350 has a better rating then Nana's.

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:12:33 am »
I have a Nokia 6130 and I keep it on both, ring and vibrate. Keep it in my back pocket so I can feel it vibrate and only irradiate my butt cheek. Going to change it to a new iPhone for easier texting, tose fiddly little buttons on phones are just too irritating for writing texts! I tend to text A LOT and use it as a phone only occasionally.
Lorenzo :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:34:25 pm by Lorenzo »
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:40:39 am »
I have a Motorola C155... and keep it in my pocket on vibrate & ring ... I feel it but
rarely hear it ...

I have yet to text anyone anything due to the fiddly little buttons ... or maybe I have fat fingers ...  ;D
some of the older girls that came to help at Day Camp called it a "dinosaur" while showing off theirs with
all the bells and whistles ... I don't use mine much and looking for a replacement ...buttons are getting
to where they stick... but since it is almost 4 years old and I gave a whole $19.95 for it , I
think it is time for it to retire...been putting it off because I hate change...

So no real suggestions but will watch here for info
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:45:50 am »
I just got a Blackberry Curve and really like it.  Screen is big enough that I can read emails easily, and it has several really loud ringer capabilities.  It also has an alarm tone that is very loud - I've been using it as a backup to my clock radio since I don't always hear it when I'm sleeping on my hearing ear.

Also, it has the full keyboard so texting is easy - and, like Pooter, I do a lot of texting.

Debbi - proud owner of a CrackBerry
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:31:07 am »
We are waiting for our contract to expire so that we can switch carriers.  I actually went yesterday to look at plans & phones.  Right now I just have a Sanyo flip phone - pink, of course.  I got it when my other one fell in the toilet...I am looking at the new iphone.  Dave has a Blackberry & doesn't love it b/c the keys are too close together.  I didn't think about asking about the hearing features - I'll definitely do that next time!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 10:06:30 am »
Well, I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't hear the cell phone ring, but I can hear it vibrate from across the room.  My family thinks that's just crazy, but now I have proof that it's not. Or proof that we're all crazy here!   :D

I don't know what model I have but it has the full keyboard on it.  Otherwise it would take me 2 hours to send my kids a text message.  Now it only takes me 1 hour.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 10:17:02 am »
I have the cheap - as in free with the 2 year contract - cell phone.  I think it's made by LG.  I don't text nor do I access the internet.

I totally hate cell phones and only carry one to be in touch with my kids and my office when I'm not there.  IMO cell phones are necessary evils  :o

Somehow one of my kids has my phone set to not only ring, but to also vibrate when it rings.  So, like Soundy, when it's in my pocket I can feel it ring, but rarely hear it.

My ringtone is currently Cheeseburger in Paradise (Jimmy Buffett).  Rawk on, parrotheads  ;)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ellenmn

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:26 pm »
I have a Blackberry Pearl.  I have the text message alert on vibrate and the phone on virbate twice and then play music. I have to make sure that I keep it on the left side. I use the hands free when I am driving or if there is an important call I'm waiting for and I'm in a crowd.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:10 pm »
oh, i also forgot to mention the other feature i always use on my Audiovox phone is the speakerphone.  i don't put the phone to my ear anymore due to SSD, as other SSDs can attest aside from the phone conversation we don't hear anything else!!! the speakerphone really helps me to be more aware of the sounds around me.   hope this helps!

p/s lorenzo, do you know if the new iphone have vibrate and speakerphone features? Thanks!

chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan