Author Topic: facial numbness  (Read 5858 times)

satman

facial numbness
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:23:55 pm »
hey there everybody,have a question for you guys.
for those of you who dont know of me, i had a 8 cm AN removed in april 07.
Hello to all of my buddies that were here for me in the roughest of times.
my question for all of you posties is,does anybody still have facial numbness on your non-animated side.
it's been a year and 3 months for me and it still feels like i just left the dentists.
i have no movement as of yet but the numbness will drive one crazy.
please chime in,want to pick your brain,ok ,pun intended.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Patti

Re: facial numbness
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:31:25 pm »
Was it really 8 cm?  Mine was 4 cm and it was removed 8 years ago.  I still have facial, scalp, tongue, and teeth numbness but some movement.  I do get lots of unpleasant sensations on the numb parts.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »
John:

Unfortunately, unless it dissipates within a few weeks or months of surgery, your facial numbness and/or any paralysis will probably last for up to 18 months, although the literature states that permanent facial numbness is somewhat rare.  So they say. ::)  I trust that the 'temporary numbness' designation will apply in your case.  If not, there is therapy available and many of our members have had success with it.  Of course, if it comes to that, a nerve graft is always an option.   You might want to mention the numbness to your doctor on your next visit, following an MRI scan, so he can look for any facial nerve impairment.  I just hope the situation is resolved soon.  You've been through a lot.  Try to stay strong.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

calimama

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:17:25 pm »
i have numbness but am only 1 month post surgery. i am trying to look on the bright side... at least it does not hurt!

hope you find the answers you seek.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:25:36 pm »
satman~
Let me get this straight...are you saying you have no movement and no FEELING on the AN side - is that what you mean by numbness or do you feel a bit of something like when you leave the dentist? maybe heaviness?

K

PS - Will be in Southlake next week...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:58:25 pm »
Satman -

I have very little movement on my AN side, but the numbness did go away - mostly.  It still doesn't feel exactly like the other side, but pretty close.  That post-dentist feeling did go away.  I'm at 16 months post-op and it probably took almost a year for the numbness to go away.  Now if the movement part would kick in, that would be nice.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:24:54 am »
Hi Satman,

I had my surgery nearly 3 years ago.  I have facial paralysis and numbness.  The numbness is still here, but I think it is showing a bit of improvement.  My lips feel tingly from time to time.  I can feel pressure on my face but no light touches such as like a feather.  I don't know which one makes my face feel tight, but that is better than right after surgery.  At least there are times now when I forget all about it.
Hope you hear some other good information.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:43:43 am »
Hi there John:   my AN side 'feels' numb, but if I pinch my cheek I feel it.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:51:55 am »
thanks everybody,yea patti it really was 8 cm wish i was kidding but it's true.
jim,i believe i am going to run with your prediction of 18 months,sounds good to me.
kim , how long are you going to be in dallas,would like to meet you and chat it up a bit.
you asked if i had any feeling at all,when i rake my finger across my face i can feel it.what it feels like [numbness] is like i had areally big hit of novacaine and that is
starting to drive me crazy,as if i need any help with that.
thanks again everybody,your input is highly appreciated, heres smiling at ya,crooked that is, wink, wink [i wish]
happy 4th everybody.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »
I still have some numbness  :( but is getting better..  ;D and its been almost 3 years
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:24:02 pm »
Well, if it's any consolation at all, I had Gamma Knife and I have numbness on my AN side.  Possibly not as bad as what you have, but it affects most of the left side of my face, and it's worse around the temple area.  I am thinking that I'll have this the rest of my life.  I am not expecting this to get any better, so that if it does I can be pleasantly surprised. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 09:16:41 am »
Surgery was 4 years ago and my numbness is still recovering. The entire right side of my head was numb in the beginning and now it is more localized in my face. I saw a lot of recovery around 18 months. The facial therapist I saw in Pittsburgh said he has seen cases where sensation has returned after 15 years!!

I hate the just went to the dentist feeling. Somedays are worse than others. Have you tried any exercises for sensation? I used to tap my face with my fingers, use one of those vibrating massagers made for your back, and I would just massage my face gently.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »
The facial therapist I saw in Pittsburgh said he has seen cases where sensation has returned after 15 years!!

better late than never !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:12:52 pm »
5cm growth. Surgery about 3 years ago now. No facial paralysis at all. Still some deep numbness on AN side but gradually improving.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:48:36 pm »
pick away satman and let me know if you find anything    ;D

one of my "friends" asked me to have the surgeons install a glass plate back there so we'd always have proof i have a brain  ........ :o

i'm 8 months from surgery and my AN side has no feeling . no numbness or tingling . i have found that folks tell me the color is better and the muscle tone is too. i do facial exercises to help.

and i massage those muscles a bit too.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here