Author Topic: BAHA Trial ?  (Read 5597 times)

Micky

BAHA Trial ?
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:53:36 pm »
Hi all SSD is starting to have a bit of an affect on my general life.

I have been to my ENT and I’m going to have a BAHA trial in the next month or so when one is available. my question to all is before you had the BAHA installed did you take home a BAHA trial kit, he said it is a BAHA but on a head strap so kind of acts like a BAHA, if anyone did how did the sound compare to the real BAHA being installed? And any other pluses or minuses with it.

Thanks Mick

3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

jazzfunkanne

Re: BAHA Trial ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:52:17 am »
Hi Mick i am in scotland, i had a baha trial over the weekend and i must admit i did find a difference, i couldnt wear the headband as it was too tight, so she gave me a device that fits on the baha and you can bite on it with your teeth  sounds strange but it works (because it was a dentist who invented it) also you can press the same device against your skull where the baha would sit and it works as well. To start with they gave me the old version to try which didnt work, then they let me take home the Divio (think thats how you spell it) and it was great, there is a good site which a few americans are members and its free it answers all your questions about the baha http://www.baha-users-support.com/
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:53:07 am »
Hey, Mick -

I tried the BAHA demo prior to my surgery and found it amazing!  I didn't get to take one home, just had a chance to try it out in the doc's office, but I was impressed nonetheless. 

The demo is very much like the real thing - aside from the processor being on an elastic band, that is  :D  IMO the sound is the same.

I have been in love with my BAHA from day one and I continue to be.  I know it's not for everyone, but for me it's been wonderful - well worth the time, effort, and cost my insurance company paid.  At first I thought that learning to attach the processor to my head was going to take quite a while, but it only took a day or two.  I also very quickly got to the point where I forget I'm wearing it.  Although it's not like hearing "normal" again, it's a fantastic imitation.

As jazzfunkanne mentioned the BAHA users support website is a great resource.  There are also many posts on this forum that you'll find helpful.  Just search BAHA.  In the meantime, here's one that you might find interesting.  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6785.0

You'll also find photos of my BAHA and sabuck's BAHA if you search for our posts under our user profiles.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathleen5306

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:30:59 am »
I did the trial at my doctor's office the day prior to my translab surgery which was four weeks ago.  I have been deaf for six years since I did CyberKnife.  I loved the trial and thought the sound quality was very good.  I know I will go ahead and get the BAHA because when the audiologist turned off the trial device, I felt like I had been robbed of something!  It had been so nice to hear the full room and not feel like I was missing half of the conversation.  She told me that the real BAHA would be "even a little better sounding" than the trial.  I would be thrilled if it was just the way I heard it!  Good luck.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:05 am »
I also did the trial in the audiologist's office.  My personal experience is that the trial version was somewhat better than the real thing.  The trial totally eliminated the feeling of fullness in my good ear which the real thing hasn't helped at all.  By fullness I mean how your own voice sounds when your ear is stopped up.  I've had this since my AN surgery in April of 2007.  Keep in mind this is my personal experience.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:41:44 pm »
Linda, this is very interesting.  I wonder why the trial eliminated the feeling of fullness, but the real thing didn't  ???  Did you ever ask the audiologist about it?  I'm very curious as to why this would happen.

And I'm puzzled as to why your good ear would feel full.  Did you mean to say your bad  ear?

I have noticed no difference in the sound of my own voice with the BAHA, although it was initially hard to get used to hearing it every time I spoke.  Since the BAHA processor amplifies sounds, it was actually very disconcerting to hear myself.  I'm used to it now, so it's not an issue for me.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:24 pm »
Jan:  It is my good ear that has the feeling of fullness.  It's like when you have a cold and your ear is stopped up.  The eardrum in that ear had a "spondaneous" rupture at the time of my surgery so I was told when that healed the feeling of fullness would go away.  I've asked every doctor, ENT and audiologist I have seen and no one has an answer.  I will continue asking though.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »
Linda -

thanks for the clarification.  I thought that maybe you meant your "bad" ear had a feeling of fullness because that was one of the symptoms I had leading up to my AN diagnosis.

Sorry to hear about the spontaneous rupture, I hope it heals soon. 

Jan

Micky

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:02:49 pm »
Thanks all for the responses, can’t wait to have the trial I will let you all know what I think cheers.

Mick   :)
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »
Good luck, Micky - I think you'll like it  ;D

Jan

Tamara

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:44 am »
I am scheduled for the BAHA implant on Sept. 25th.  I have not been offered a trial of any sort.  Should I ask?  Has anyone ever gone ahead and done it without a trial?  I'm sort of banking on the info from this forum that it's a good idea - I remember only hearing about one person who didn't like it.  Thoughts??

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:51:10 am »
Tammy -

first of all the 25th is a wonderful date - my birthday - so it sounds like you and I will both have something exciting to celebrate  ;)

As far as the trial goes, IMO it's up to you.  I can't imagine anyone trying the demo and deciding not to go ahead with the surgery, but that's just me.  I could be wrong, but I think the major issue about whether or not to pursue the BAHA lies in being comfortable with a titanium fixture implanted into your head.  It was a non-issue for me, but it's not for everyone. 

Just my two cents worth,

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:55 am »
Jan~
I am pretty sure that you got your BAHA on MY birthday!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tamara

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:20:45 pm »
Jan,
  Yes, I saw that when I put the BAHA on the calendar - it should be a good day all around then! :)

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »
Jan~
I am pretty sure that you got your BAHA on MY birthday!!   ;D

K

So, your birthday present went to me this year, K  ???  Does that mean Tammy gets my gift?

I had my surgery on 3/4 and got my processor on 6/4.

Jan