Author Topic: Third opinion just in  (Read 2844 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Third opinion just in
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »

Hi everyone!
In my seemingly endless quest for an accurate diagnosis, I called a friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist at U of M hospital in Ann Arbor.  He works for a head and neck surgery group, so I asked if he would flash my MRI at his team.  He agreed, but only managed to catch one out of the three he was aiming at.  That one, however, said I  have a meningioma, and gave reasons why.  He said it has a wide dural base and dural enhancement.  He also said it extends out into the IAC and looks more like a meningioma than an AN.

I have just about decided that I would have surgery for a meningioma, but radiate for an AN.  Then I heard from an old friend who lives in Scottsdale, checking on me after the hurricane (we're fine...even have power!).  When I told her what was going on, she urged me to think about the Barrow clinic.  Her son had surgery there after a bad car accident, and she says it is the best in the area.  Now I feel like I should contact them.  I will be glad when the day comes when I can move forward w/out feeling like I am missing something.  Please tell me that day will come! Today I felt a little disoriented, and am wondering if my balance is being affected, or if I am imagining things.  Sigh...

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

Re: Third opinion just in
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:57:50 pm »
Hi "MsMaggie"~
I think that it is good that you are checking out ALL of your options - I think you just KNOW when you have found the right one!  Sorry your balance is not so good today, but I am glad you have power!  Back to school tomorrow??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:59 pm »
Hi K!

I have a workday tomorrow to put my room back together.  All my computers are in the bathrooms at the present time--they were the only rooms w/out windows  :D.  Kids come back on Tuesday.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I kinda have a working plan, but when my old friend/roommate called and told me about the Barrow clinic, I wondered if the Lord wasn't trying to get my attention.  I will call them tomorrow and see what I need to do get some sort of consultation.  The House clinic does it for free over the phone-wish everyone did that!

Mags
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:16:35 pm »
My neurosurgeon trained there and it supposed to be an excellent place.  And he was amazing. 
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:54 pm »
Didn't MaryBK or someone else on the forum have treatment recently at Barrows?

BTW, Mags, nice picture  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:22 pm »
Mary did have CK at Barrows a few months ago; she is on vacation till mid October, though. I have also heard good things about the surgeons at Barrows, and of course like the fact that have a well rounded approach to treating ANs, with both radiation and surgery available. The name Daspit comes to mind.

I say give them a call, Mags, and like Jan, I also like the picture. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:17:47 am »
Maggi
I'm sure you will feel that "gut" feeling most of us get when we've reached the treatment decision that has been right for us.  My advice is that once you have that feeling hold onto it and don't second guess yourself -- this is a tough decision and you can make yourself crazy going around and around.  Nice picture by way.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:57:55 am »

As usual, thanks to all for being the wise sounding board that I needed.  I'm good at sticking to a decision and living with it in the everyday world, but I confess that this is putting to an extreme test!  I do feel like I need to explore the latest avenue just a bit so that I can either include it in the process or eliminate it. 

As for the picture, it was taken at my son's wedding a year ago.  I wanted something to remind me of happier times and important life events besides treatments and symptons :).

Mags

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 01:09:30 pm »
Hi, Maggie:

Barrows has a fine reputation but the ultimate decision is yours, of course.  I realize it can be frustrating to have 'too many' options but I would look into Barrows, anyway.   As many others have correctly stated, you'll know when you have the right facility and more importantly, physicians.  I'm sure that day will be here soon.  :)

I wish you all the best in the days and weeks ahead.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 03:39:07 pm »
"MsMaggie"~
LOVE the picture!!   ;D

How was the 1st day back??  Did the kiddos come too?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »
It doesnt hurt to get a third opinion...I say go for it
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

lori67

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »
Maggie -

I think it's probably easier to stick to a decision when it involves something a little more routine and common than a brain tumor!  Like, maybe what to have for dinner?

I'm pretty sure everyone here has had trouble coming to a decision, but you'll just know when you've done enough research and you've found the right way to go.

And I like your picture too!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »
Hello to all,

I got some info today from the Barrow clinic and will send yet one more MRI out to be reviewed.  I was even able to get the doctor my friend recommended.  Then I am done w/the research and will be ready to make a decision...  I think--just kidding!   I want to have some resolution here, ready to move forward.  Be prepared for an announcement in the future!

I went back to school today, but my kids don't come back until tomorrow.  I spent the day retrieving computers from bathrooms and getting the room ready.  Discovered a whole stack of papers to be graded-rats!  Back to reality.

Mags

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:27 pm »
Oh, and Lori...making routine decisions is WAY easier!  Dinner, what color to paint my bedroom, what tile to put in the bathroom---piece of cake!  Surgery or cyberknife???? Um-m-m-m-m-m-m.....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
Maggie -

I'm a big advocate of "gut" feelings when it comes to AN treatment and which procedure/doctors to use.

When the times comes, you'll know the decision that's right for you.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways