Author Topic: Newbie with Hashimoto  (Read 1750 times)

Mathilda

Newbie with Hashimoto
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
Hello again,

My second post already.
Is there anybody out there who suffers from hypothyroidism (Hashimoto)
If so, how did you deal with your medication during and right after the surgery ?
I would appreciate some input. Am seeing my internist tomorrow and extra info might help. Thanks
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

andrea in slc

Re: Newbie with Hashimoto
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »
Oooo, good question, one I hadn't thought to ask. I have hypothyroidism, but I haven't had my first consult yet, so I'm not much help, sorry!

Good luck with your appointment, and please let us know what they say (if anything) about the medication.

Andrea

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »
Mathilda:

Welcome! Although I'm sorry you have an AN, I'm glad to see you post.  I assume you're suffering with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and are taking Levothyroxine.   

My gut feeling is that you'll continue taking your medication or the dose will be lessened or stopped for a few days.  Frankly, as much as we like to help and advise, this is really a question for a medical professional because it involves a prescription drug and a condition that is specific to you.  What other people taking the same medication and had AN surgery were advised to do may not be what your doctor, who is well acquainted with your medical history and your general health, might advise.  My only advice is to go with the doctor on this one.   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:53:35 pm »
The odds are that you may be told to go ahead and take your med the day of surgery and then they will make sure you you get it post op.          They do make sure and check out your home meds.       I am a recently retired nurse and saw where the post op patients had already took the most important meds that shouldn't be missed prior that am to their surgery and was directed as such by the dr.           We would have orders to continue home meds post op so had to make sure and see which ones were taken that am already and which ones to go ahead and give.         This was not in ICU but will be similar.                        I have had multiple AN surgeries due to NF2 and have been given my home meds each time.         
                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Tamara

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:09:56 pm »
I have hypothyroidism and take Levothyroxine.  I took it every day pre- and post-op except my 3rd day postop when I was extremely nauseous due to the pain meds I was taking.  There was no problem with it - the hospital included it with my meds.  Of course, your doctor will advise you.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

NL

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:24:35 am »
Hi Mathilda,

I also have hypothyroidism and take Armor thyroid. The only day I didn't take it was the morning of my surgery - since I wasn't allowed anything past midnight the night before.

When you have your pre-op exam with Dr. Stefan (the internist who sees all House patients), he'll prescribe all your regular meds to be given to you by the nurses while in the hospital. They started giving me my Armor thyroid with the other post-op meds the day after my surgery.

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Mathilda

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input ! It's good to know what usually happens. I have no experience with any kind of surgery whatsoever.
I've seen my internist today. He tells me it would be Ok to skip my medicines for a couple of days if necessary.
He'll also give me a letter to hand to Dr. Stefan, so everything is under control.

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

Patti

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:24:51 pm »
i also have hashimoto's.  i told my neurosurgeon before surgery and he put me on intravenous synthroid  for the reamining 2 weeks (longer than most people but i couldn't swallow).   patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015