Author Topic: Newbie--scheduled for surgery in October 2008  (Read 31841 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Newbie--scheduled for surgery in October 2008
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2008, 07:12:43 am »
Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

Regarding the background check - probably a good thing for some of us  ;)  :D LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2008, 07:30:36 am »
What, a background check?  Uh-oh, I had no idea....can I return my membership?
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

dufreyne

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
I agree with all of you, I think it best to simply join as a regular member.  Despite the unique circumstances, I'm here because I am a patient with an Acoustic Neuroma. 

As far as a background check is concerned, I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Does that count?

D--

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2008, 01:38:31 pm »

That would depend on who you were with at the time :D :D !

Mags
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

MAlegant

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2008, 02:43:40 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Never, ever, lose your sense of humor Dr. D--it will get you through most everything.  ;)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »
Great comeback Mags  :D  :D  :D

I agree with Marci, D.

IMO humor is a vital part of dealing with an AN and the after-effects  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dufreyne

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 12:25:47 pm »
Jan:

What does "IMO" mean?  Pardon my ignorance on this one.

D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2008, 12:53:08 pm »
Jan:

What does "IMO" mean?  Pardon my ignorance on this one.

D

Internet Lingo for "In my opinion".... much like TTYL... "talk to you later", LOL for "laughing out loud", etc. Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2008, 02:13:37 pm »
I love it when someone else asks the question you have been wondering about, we might need a glossary because I didn't know any of the acronymes you listed - thanks Phyl.  I found a love note in my son's pocket when I was doing the washing and it said LOL I thought it meant Love of my Life. 

Kimbo
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

dufreyne

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 02:19:50 pm »
Phyl:  Thank you!  I think we need to create a spreadsheet of internet acronyms!  Jan could help us with that given her accounting background.  That's the ticket!

Kimbo:  Ha! That is funny.  My kids are young--not looking forward to dealing with the soap opera drama of the teenage years that some of went through!

D--

MAlegant

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2008, 02:51:51 pm »
When your kids are teenagers it will make brain surgery feel like a picnic.  My son is 20 now and has turned out to be a great guy but for a while there I thought we would be visiting him in jail instead of college. 
M

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2008, 03:03:44 pm »
Phyl:  Thank you!  I think we need to create a spreadsheet of internet acronyms!  Jan could help us with that given her accounting background.  That's the ticket!

Kimbo:  Ha! That is funny.  My kids are young--not looking forward to dealing with the soap opera drama of the teenage years that some of went through!

D--

Here's the list as a reference.
http://www.safesurfingkids.com/chat_room_internet_acronyms.htm

Ok, back on topic gang! :) Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

dufreyne

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »
Has anyone gone through Vestibular Rehab after surgery? Is it worth it?

Should I set that up now? ???

Dufreyne

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2008, 05:53:11 am »
Yes, yes, and YES! 

See if the facility nearest you has vestibular rehab, ask using the word as the exercises are specific to retraining the brain/eyes/feet, etc.  This specific retraining speeds up your loss of balance helping the brain to fully compensate.  As part of my re-training I was put into a semi-circular machine where after being strapped in, and the computer program was set, the floor would move, the walls would move away from me, there was a screen on the wall that also had visual effects going on at the same time.  This machine I heard is similar to the ones the astronauts use after returning to earth to gain their balance.  My course was 6 weeks, with at-home exercises done every hour on the hour into the evening where you can shut off the lights and take advantage of dim lit room.  I ended my day after one round in a dim lit room.  These took about 20 minutes to perform, so not so time consuming.  Your at-home program will be tailored to you and could be different. 

I most definately would recommend this if it is available to you, otherwise you can ask for exercises your treating physician has, use the ones the ANA puts out, and collect the ones that have gone around on this site.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

andrea in slc

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2008, 08:26:27 am »
Hi dufreyne, sorry you had to join our happy bunch here, but welcome. :)

I'll second the vestibular rehab as helpful and I haven't even had surgery yet. For the past 18 months when they thought I had Ramsay-Hunt syndrome(which is a weird syndrome that affects your 7th and 8th cranial nerves) I have been getting vestibular rehab, and it did help with the vertigo. Quite a bit initally. But since we now know it's a tumor and not the chicken pox virus attacking some cranial nerves, it makes sense why it hasn't been helping the past year. I did go in for a pre-op talk to my balance therapist who gave me some great ideas and exercises to do both pre and post. And I'll definately be doing them!

I would definately find someone in your area that does this, I think it will help immensely. (just my nonprofessional opinion here). ;D