Author Topic: tinnitus in other ear?  (Read 12157 times)

cin605

tinnitus in other ear?
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:26:55 pm »
Lately i have been getting tinnitus in the opposit ear of surgery & also some noise that sounds like someone moving a chain necklace around.Does anyone else have this?
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: tinnitus in other ear?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:14:29 pm »
Hi cin,

funny you mention it... I have had it happen since CK, but very rarely. MRI's are clean, so have no clue, for me, why it happens. Will watch this thread to see what others have to say.

Be well,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:35 pm »
Yes, I have constant tinnitus in the good ear which occurs with every sound.  Yes, my tinnitus is the sound of a chain necklace.  Sometimes I describe it as the sound of B Bs dropping into a glass jar.  This started post op when I turned on the televison for the first time.  It has never gone away.  It is worse and most annoying when I am tired.  But just mention it and I can hear it there.  For a long time I was determined to avoid it by ignoring it.  Then I became depressed because it wouldn't go away.  Then I decided to only use the telephone for brief periods.  Now I have adjusted and don't give it notice.  I still avoid the phone if possible because most of them are too loud in my ear.  I avoid loud situations with a custom fit ear plug.

eugd

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
has your symptoms went away or became worse? did anything develop as a result of the new symptoms?
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:51:01 pm »
I noticed that I now have a small hissing tinnitus  in my "good" ear.  I am very bummed, to be frank.  If it gets as bad as the bad ear, I will really be bummed.  Just needed to tell you all that I was bummed!,   >:(

Sue in vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »
I started havving tinnitus in my good ear back in October. It seems be getting louder. It doesn't compare to the noise I have in my AN ear, but I worry.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:20:04 am »
Oh, this is so good to know .....  Several months ago I began noticing tinnitus in my right ear (AN is on left side).  It is not as loud as the AN side, but definitely there.  Like others, the tinnitus is definitely louder on both sides when I am tired or stressed ..... neither of which can I always control.  When I am busy, I can usually put it to the back of my consciousness, but when I am trying to relax and/or going to sleep, it is like a very unpleasant noise machine.  For whatever reason when I am in a loud environment or even not so loud but with many "mixed" noises (many conversations and/or different types of noises ..... fans, soft music, conversation, etc.), the tinnitus is almost overwhelmingly loud.

Believe me, I have signed up for every workshop at the Symposium on tinnitus research.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kzepol

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »
I've been hoping it won't be true, but tinnitus symptoms in my left ear (lost right ear hearing 5 years ago and 7mm AN just dx 3 weeks ago) started about 6 months ago - a machine gun type rat-a-tat-tat happens throughout the day starting when I am first up in the a.m. and moving around getting ready for work, then very prominent in the evening when I'm laying back slightly watching tv. That is what sent me back to my Dr. to further explore possibility I was losing hearing in 'good' ear even though 5 years ago when MRI did not pick up AN, I was told it was very unlikely I would lose hearing in left ear. With what I am going through, I find it hard to believe anything the dr. tells me and I am really learning a lot on this site - Thank You all so much! Question - do any of you with "roaring, 24/7" tinnitus want to strangle the people that say "oh, you mean that little bit of ringing in the ears"? Arghh >:(

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 02:21:04 am »
Me too!!!!
I noticed about maybe four years ago that when I lie down, and I lie with the functioning ear to the pillow, I can hear "white noise" (I think that's what they call it) you know like that sound you hear when you put a huge sea shell (conk shell I think it's called) up to your ear. I also perceive a ringing when I'm up and about, keep answering the phone when it's not ringing and at times I get a loud buzz followed by what I believe to be a brief period of deafness in that ear! Really scary stuff. I had an MRI done and it's negative????? ENT believes it's "sympathy tinnitus" for the other ear but it seems so weird to have started so many years after the initial hearing loss.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Ellen K

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »
I am in w and w with small tumor and ok hearing, but get a thrumming sound in the ear opposite the AN ear. It is almost like I have a winged bug in my ear.  Does anyone else get this?  It is not constant. Thanks and I wish everyone some peaceful quiet.
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »
Sympathy tinnitus.   Good grief Grace, I think we all deserve a little break here!!   It scares me to think I might have roaring tinnitus in both ears.  That does not seem very nice of the Universe to heap more noise at us.  What a strange combo...oh you won't hear out of one ear, but oh yes, here is the constant static,whistle, beep, ping, hiss, snap, crackle, pop ( if we wanted that, we'd listen to our cereal!)' crunch and whatever all else our brains have decided to listen to.  Bad brain!  Until somebody tells me that this is somehow good for us, I am bummed and will remain bummed.  I will do my best to live with it, but I am seriously bummed!!!! >:(   Whew, I feel much better now.  ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MKLady

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:18:35 am »
I am 3 years post translab and suddenly I have ringing in the good ear accompanied by a reduction in sound volume.  It lasts only a second or two, but it is scary.  It has happened 5 or 6 times over the last month.  My doctor says that is nerve related.  I have a hearing test next week to check it out.  I also have my yearly MRI next week.  Hopefully all will be clear and it's just stress or fluid in the ear.  Maybe I can give ya'll some helpful info on this after the tests.

Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

kaykay

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 05:49:13 am »
I get it too. Started the past few months. Can go from a high pitch hum/buzz to a low pitch. just lovely.

free2be

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:25:52 pm »
It's been a long time since I posted (having read much either); need to just post an update, but found this thread interesting.

I have had some tinnitus in my "other" ear since the CK; however, it is not bad by any means and it comes and goes. No explanation given that one had anything to do with the other. Additionally, the last 2-3 months I have had another sensation in the "other" ear. It's kind of a periodic pop; almost sounds and feels like the ear drum moving. It's hard to explain. It's very annoying when it's happening and don't know what to think of it, but thankfully, it too, is very intermittent.

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »
 i have posted on here twice i think, but Interesting I should see this topic again, when the "other ear" tinitis is bothering me.  I have a sound machine in the bedroom, and with the warm weather we have a fan in there too, but I woke up last night, and I'd swear it was because of the tinnitus!  The AN side is a constant  zzzzzzzzz with variations from high pitched zzzzzzz to a background hisssssssss. The other side tends to match my heart beat, I think, with a pulsing softer zzzz zzzz zzzz.  DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!   I know we just have to deal with it, but I get a bit weary, don't you??    And it makes me mad.  That is wasted energy, I know, but that is my reaction.  Anger, frustration and well, ANGER.   If I have a grave marker, (probably won't) I want it to say, "Peace and Quiet, at last. "
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode