Author Topic: Mammogram, ladies?  (Read 9272 times)

cindyj

Mammogram, ladies?
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:41:50 pm »
Hi girls (and guys with female significant others),

This being October and breast cancer awareness month, I would not feel right if I didn't take this opportunity to ask if you have had your mammogram done?  If not, get it scheduled, please!!!  Early detection IS a life saver for breast cancer. 

I know many of you here have been touched by breast cancer and will share my wish to be sure that every female is getting checked regularly.  I continue to hear tragic stories about women that did not have regular (or any) mammorgrams - with outcomes that could have been so different if only they had known earlier about the cancer.

Ok, I'm getting off my box - have a great week everyone!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Mammogram, ladies?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:31:43 pm »
I had mine today!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:37:45 pm »
I'm going on Halloween.

I wonder what kind of costume I should wear to that?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:50:16 pm »
Something wiv a bustier methinks!

Capt Deb

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:53:27 pm »
Already done!  But thanks for the reminder, hope it reminds others...
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:55:11 pm »
cindy, speshal hugglez for you ;)  :-*.. and for reminding us of this most important test that we should have done.

Had mine this past January... they are monitoring a few things but heck, me likes to grow lumpy-bumpies.  Continue to monitor and found out that my back-up brain surgeon also has a specialty in breast cancer research and surgeries... so, I bring her my head MRI's and mamogram reports. Go figure... a "2-fer" the price of one! :)

A speshal shout out as well to my dear friend weezie.  Those that were here with me during my CK process know that weezie got her breast cancer diagnosis simultaneouly and that we both went through our processes and post treatments together.  I have walked the local breast cancer walk with her the past 2 years (yep, with my cane!) and continue to walk in her name.. as well as many others (you know who you are here that have shared that you have also endured...) that participate here. So, to weezie, the survivor.. and for all the other survivors here on this site... and beyond... I continue my efforts for breast cancer research in your names.

Huggles all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »
I am a twenty-two year survivor and had mine already this year and it was an all clear!!  Very happy about that.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:31 pm »
OK...I hate to even ask this...but at what age should you start getting one if there is no history of breast cancer in your family??  I was all prepared to start at 35 and then the Dr. told me I could wait until I was 40.  I guess I am still too young??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:18:26 am »
OK...I hate to even ask this...but at what age should you start getting one if there is no history of breast cancer in your family??  I was all prepared to start at 35 and then the Dr. told me I could wait until I was 40.  I guess I am still too young??

K

K, I may be wrong, but I heard approx 35-40 yrs of age... also depending if there is family history (great news for you that there is no family history). Your gyn can give you better guidelines and also check with your insurance company... they may have certain guidelines as well for their coverage (ie: 1 mammogram every 2 yrs under age 40, thereafter, 1x/yr, etc).  I know my insurance company laid out similar guidelines to me.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 05:54:35 am »
K, I'm w/ Phyl...my doctor told me that insurance companies want you to wait til 40, but 35 was what she recommended and she gave me some good sound reasons...I started at 35 -  I honestly don't remember if my insurance paid for them or not - my cancer was found when I was 42 - by mammogram!

Lori, you must wear Capt Deb's suggested attire to your apptmt!  (How are you feeling, by the way?  You've sounded great in all your posts, but are you doing ok?)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Tamara

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:58:30 am »
I believe the latest recommendations for those without a family history are:  age 40-50 - once every 2 years.  Above age 50 - every year.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 06:55:28 am »
Thanks ladies!  I will check again when I go this spring for my yearly!

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:43:12 am »
I think I will wear that ensemble to my next squish-a-gram.  I'm sure I'd get a few laughs!!

Ok, so funny story (I seem to have one for every occasion, don't i?).  Last year when I went for my mammogram, there were posters and flyers all over the waiting room about the new "Mammo-pad" .  "Ask for it!" they said... "No more painful mammograms"...It sounded wonderful...I half expected the tech to come out with two feather pillows.  Well, has anyone experienced the "mammo-pad", which, I assume was invented by a man?  It's a little piece of foam - like the kind you use to wrap your dishes in when you move.. they put it on top of the hard metal thing (apparently before they stick that part into the freezer) and this is supposed to cause the awful torture device to feel like a day in Paradise!   :o  Afterwards, the lady was like "isn't that mammo-pad just the best invention?".  I just looked at her and said "yeah, right up there with bikini wax and control top pantyhose".  I think I hurt her feelings.  Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed in the whole mammo pad.

Ok, sorry, just had to share that.  How often to you have a funny mammogram story?

Cindy - I'm feeling back to my old self again.  The stitches and incision are at that itchy, annoying stage now, which is usually a good sign that things are healing.  Thanks for asking!  :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 11:36:50 am »
Ah yes, the mamm-o-pad! It was deeeeeee-lightful! No more cold metal plate thingy! Kinda like when your female gyno runs the spelunker under warm running water before spelunking around in your ladyland! The wonders of modern medicine and Walmart shelf paper!

Capt Deb

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 05:03:09 pm »
I appreciate the medical technology that has given us the mammogram but there has got to be a better way!  Lori, love the story, alas I had no mammo-pad to cushion my torture.  The technician said she used to tell women to hold their breath until she figured out that at that special moment no one can breathe even if they want to!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.