Author Topic: Post BAHA surgery  (Read 2554 times)

Tamara

Post BAHA surgery
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:51:29 am »
Good Morning -
  I've got a question for the BAHA wearers:  As I've mentioned, I LOVE the BAHA so far.  Surgery was easy, and it's fun to HEAR the little noises when I play with the abutment.  However, I've had scalp pain since surgery, now almost 2 weeks out.  At my postop, I mentioned it, and my dr said that he hears a lot about scalp numbness and scalp pain.  I neglected to ask him how long I can expect this to last.  Now, the numbness I'd be OK with, but the pain is, well....a pain.  The pain is from the area of the surgery all the way to the top of my head.  It has not subsided and is interfering with my sleep.  Aside from the sleep issue, it's OK, as it is only painful when touched.  Has anyone else had this?  Does it go away?

Thanks!
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post BAHA surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:28:55 am »
Tammy -

I had some scalp pain post op, but it went away in a few days.  I took Tylenol and Alleve to relieve the pain.

I'm not a doctor, but I would think the pain will subside in time - afterall, you were literally "scalped" during the surgery  :o

Not that it wasn't worth it.

And for you non-BAHA wearers, it wasn't her whole scalp, just a patch.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:58:19 am »
Tammy,

After my surgery, I had some areas of my head that just seemed more sensitive to pain than others.  There were some spots that I couldn't even stand to touch.  It took a few months for all of that to completely calm down.  I managed with just tylenol or Aleve. 

There are still some nights when my head is sore around the abuttment and I find it hard to sleep on that side, but it goes away in a day or two.  I guess sometimes it just gets irritated or the nerves in there are still working on getting themselves settled.

Once your incision is all healed, you can ask your doctor about a cream called Clobetasol.  It's a steroid cream that helps keep any swelling down and helps to keep the skin from wanting to grow up towards your abuttment.  Some people never need it, but I use it probably once a month or so.  I just put a little on there before bed and wash it off in the morning.  Some days it just doesn't feel as good as others, and the cream seems to help.

Your surgery wasn't long ago, so I know you'll get past this annoying stage and it will be well worth it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:06:26 am »
Lori -

is Clobetasol a Rx or can you buy it OTC?

I asked my doc about it at my 3 month appt. and he said it wasn't necessary for me, but I'd still like to look into it.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:08:36 pm »
 I'm not Lori but yes it is a prescription ointment.          My husband has some for another reason since no way is his for a BAHA.           
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:39:55 am »
Thanks, Cheryl.

Rx, huh  ???

Guess I won't be overruling my doctor and using it anyway  :D

Probably a good thing, since he's the one with the medical degree.

Jan