Author Topic: If you decide to watch and wait ..how big before you have to get it out ?help  (Read 1856 times)

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
I have my surgery Date set for Nov 20th ...but I have some other health issues going on depression is one and stress ...I really would like to get a hold on that and have a more positive outlook  before I go in ...I have had 2 Mri's the first dec 2006 it was 1.2 cm and then another Dec 2007 and it was 1.4 cm ....I was thinking of getting another Mri in Dec and setting my surgery for Jan do you all think that would be ok ...and what size is it considered it has to come out ....I also am worried about my kids ...I just really wanna be ready ...please tell me what you all think.
The surgery that Im having is gonna be through my ear .....the location is on my accustic nerve pressed up against my brain stem ....

vjgfamily

It's very difficult for me to suggest what path you should take, because I'm no expert.  But I was told that they tumor is very slow growing.  I don't have any knowledge of the size limits, and since my AN surgery was 20 years ago, I don't remember how big mine was (I want to say, "golf ball" size, but I may have exaggerated that in my mind over the years).  All I know is what I was told by Jack L. Pulec (my dr.)...slow growing.

I don't know if anyone's ever totally READY to have the surgery.  It's a tough thing, it is.

I'm not very current on the surgery (and options), but I bet they've improved the process over the years.  You can do it.

Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

sgerrard

Hi Rhonda,

I think it would be okay to get another MRI in December, and postpone surgery to next year. You might even decide to wait some more, depending on what sort of symptoms you having. Going from 1.2 to 1.4 cm over the course of a year is right at the average growth rate for ANs, 2 mm (0.2 cm) a year. If it is not affecting the nerves very much, you could wait quite a long time if you wanted to. Typically an AN does not become seriously threatening until they reach the 3 to 4 cm range.

I also think it is wise to have your other health issues addressed, before going into surgery. Recovery takes some strength (along with patience), and being in good condition before hand is a smart move.

Hope things work out well for you,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kenneth_k

Hi Rhonda.

I totally agree with Steve. You have to look at the big picture and your overall health.
However, I have been told that the risk to the facial nerve increases with sizes above 2 cm. Maybe you should discuss this with your doctor? It also depends on location of course.

If your depression/stress is caused by the AN solely, then you may not want to wait to long. But if your emotional issues are related to something else also, maybe you should take care of that so you can be ready with a positive attitude.

Don't be afraid of the operation it self. The doctors and nurses are profesionnals and they will take good care of you. In the first couple of days you will feel sick, but also very happy (I survived!!!! syndrome). Your mental strength is needed when you get back from hospital.

I wish you the best,

Kenneth

Tumbleweed

Rhonda, I agree with Steve on the points he made. I will also add that once a tumor grows to be over 3 cm in size (along any axis of measurement), most medical institutions rule out radiosurgery as a treatment option. Since you have elected to have surgical resection instead of radiosurgery, and because your tumor is likely several years away from growing to 3 cm size anyway, the 3cm limitation for radiosurgery shouldn't concern you. I mention it mostly for the sake of other people who are considering radiosurgery and who will read this thread.

In rare cases, an AN can cause sudden (overnight) and total hearing loss. [Dr. Brackmann (House Ear Clinic, L.A.) told me that prompt administration of sterioids (within 24 hours of the onset of hearing loss) totally reverses the hearing loss in 50% of cases.] My point is that new symptoms may suddenly appear or existing symptoms worsen -- sometimes dramatically -- before getting treated, so there is some risk inherent to watching and waiting. But it's probably safe to say that most ANs cause a more gradual progression of symptoms over time.

Your tumor is a small-to-medium size tumor and shouldn't require a frantic rush to treatment. You can probably afford to wait a few months before proceeding with treatment.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
Thank you all ....I defintely want it removed ....I just needed a little more time to try to take care of the other issues I have ....I know I will never be totally prepared ...I cant wait till it is totally behind me ...you all have been great ....and I appreciate the input ...it really means alot to me.
also can someone tell me how to put a picture up on here I have tried but it hasn't worked  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Rhonda -

I think you should wait also.  ANs are typically slow growing and unless yours starts to give you some major problems, surgery in January - or even beyond that - should be just fine. 

IMO it's crucial to go into surgery with a positive attitude.  I also think that dealing with your other health issues first is a great idea. 

Here's a link that tells you how to post a profile picture http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7039.0

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

Hi Rhonda,
Your AN is considered to be on the small side so waiting shouldn't be a problem, of course, I am not a doctor and that is juist my opinion.  You mention it  is presssed against your brainstem so I don't know if that is a consideration. I agree with the points that Steve made and the fact is, you're not planning on putting it off indefinitely so it might be a good idea iif that will give you the time you need to address your other problems.  A poistive attitude when going into surgery makes a huge difference.  The big question is what does your doctor recommend?

Wishing you only good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!