Author Topic: Balance Outside ......  (Read 2956 times)

Denisex2boys

Balance Outside ......
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:16:28 pm »
Hi everyone .....  well I am in my 5th week of recovery .... :)  Facial is coming along nicely, still have half a 'frozen' tongue, mouth and throat though - and my eye is driving me NUTS - especially now that the cold weather is here and the furnace is on ..... I am using lacrilube at night but find I have to use it during the day as well - the drops are not cutting it - - if I don't use the lacrilube it feels like there is sand in my eye - - but I hate that it makes everything soooo' darned blurry!  Can you recommend a different eye drop for day use?  My eye does blink and close - but not fully and is lazier than the right eye.

As well, my biggest disappointment this week is my balance - or maybe not so much balance but walking a straight line .... I am ok in the house and actually can even stand in the shower now as well as use a small step-stool but I have been trying to go on long walks this week outside to get some muscle back .... I was rather embarrassed about being 'bumped' from behind by an older woman - I didn't 'hear' her coming and basically even though she was behind me - I swayed into her - - she must have thought I had been drinking or something :(  she did not seem too impressed ....  I seem to find myself swaying somewhat on the sidewalk and not able to stay on the straight and narrow or maybe I am just trying to hard.

Is this 'normal' ..... I was very lucky that my right side had compensated already for the left - but I am finding outdoor walking quite cumbersome ....... is this just another bump in the road that I will have to overcome or is this something that will stay?
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Boppie

Re: Balance Outside ......
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:51:05 pm »
Denise, This will pass.  Try speeding up a bit, and keep the arms gently working in rhythm with your pace.  Don't put hands in the pockets.  The momentum might help propell you straighter.  Keep the eyes on the horizon.  I find that taking the time to think who is behind me would make me stagger, too.  Glancing down and over the shoulder is difficult.  This would make you swerve, I'd think.  Cold weather is certainly going to make your gait more stiff and inevitably more cautious. 

I imagine you are doing much better than you realize. 

I agree the dry eye is the pits outdoors.  The manufacturer for Lacilube makes a product with a viscosity that is between the tears and the nite goop.  That one worked for me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:58:36 pm by Boppie »

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »
Denise, the balance will improve. I'm a couple of months ahead of you. I agree with Boppie...the faster you go, the better your balance willl likely be. That's why when I run, I have no problem keeping a straight line, but when I slow down to a slow walk, I get a little wobbly sometimes(but this has improved).

I also had/have the same issue with the dry eye(especially outdoors), but this is also improving for me. I used Refresh Liguigel and Celluvisc(which are thick drops). Someone posted on the eye forum that the non-preservative drops(like Celluvisc) would do less harm to your eyes long term, so that is what I switched to. I'm using about half the drops now that I had to just about a month ago, so I guess my eye is improving. My left eye sounds about the same as yours...my eyelid closes, just not near as tightly as the right eye. I can tell this is getting better, but it's a slow go.

Anyway, at 5 weeks, it sounds like you're doing pretty well. Stay positive.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

kenneth_k

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 05:47:34 am »
Hi Denise.

I have the exact same problems you have and I'm in my 6th week:'( When I walk fast, it feels and looks like I'm drunk.
I tried to run earlier this week with my wife. I felt confident, that I could keep up with her. I couldn't and had to quit. The day after I felt quite depressed and just wanted to cry. Maybe my body was stressed out from the running. I'm also worried whether this will be better. I guess I simply have to pull myself together and think positive.

On the upside: I can drive my car for short distances. I can ride my bike, as long as I'm veeeery carefull looking over my shoulder.

The face has improved a lot, but my eye still gets dry, because I'm not blinking subconciously. I have to force my eye shut.

I wish you the best continued recovery :)

Kenneth

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:23:11 am »
Hi Kenneth,
I can't believe you are already riding your bike -- that is simply amazing!!  I have thought about trying to ride my bike,  but could just barely manage it before my surgery (7/25/08), and given the problems I've had with balance figured springtime would be more realistic.  I just may have to drag it out and try today!  In spite of the problems you had with running, you are having one heck of a quick recovery.  Don't be so hard on yourself, your surgery was not that long ago.

Keep up hte good work!!
Wendy ;D
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:29:51 am »
it will come back ... as long as you dont give up .. keep on pushing yourself... I was still on a walker at 2 weeks... today 3 years later.. I'm taking the kayak for a weekly spin ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

calimama

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:02:36 pm »
Hi Denise,

Glad you are doing well despite a few challenges.

I totally "hear" you about getting sideswiped! I had it really bad because not only can i not hear on that side, but i had an eye patch on for the first 4+ months so my left side was just one big blindspot. And i work downtown toronto, so there are lots of people walking close and quickly. Anyway, i got through the eye patch phase, so the the SSD only will seem a bit of a cake walk  ;)

I also find that the drops are only so good, especially with the cold winds of winter closing in and dry central air to boot. I am using the lube during the day too, cuz i figure a bit of blur is better than a damaged cornea. There are some gel-like drops that are kind of a happy medium between the wet drops and the ointment.

You are only 5 weeks out, so it sounds like you are doing great really. I am sure the balance issues you are having will resolve in good time, probably faster if you get out and keep moving and challenging yourself.

Keep up the good work.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.