Author Topic: I don't dream anymore--you?  (Read 4120 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
I don't dream anymore--you?
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:35:11 pm »
I haven't had a dream since surgery.  I find this very weird (the least of my problems but the most intriguing).  I have always had vivid dreams but now have none, or at least none that I'm aware of.  Anyone else??
Marci (an ex-dreamer)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Denisex2boys

Re: I don't dream anymore--you?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:56 pm »
Hmmmm this is interesting .... I cannot recall dreaming either!  I know I had some very vivid, weird dreams while in the hospital and soon after being released home - but they were due to the drugs - and no, I cannot remember having any dreams since coming off the meds.  I also find though that I am sleeping straight through these past couple of weeks ..... 
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

mrgarlic

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:29 am »
Greetings Marcy, Darn ! !   Does this mean that I will quit dreaming about you when my pills are gone??? Ha ha ha ha,,,,,,,,,So sorry, but it funny !  Blame this on my pills, I am dreaming big time.
Have a good turkey day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:43:23 am »
Hi Marci -
Actually, my dreams have become more vivid since surgery, maybe because I sleep better.  I know I've mentioned more than once that being SSD gives me the added benefit of not hearing my husband's snoring!   ;D  It's nice that there is an up side to being deaf in one hear!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:57:15 am »
this is an interesting observation, Marci, but i cannot help you here! neither before the surgery, not after it have i dreamed - so nothing changed for me. soorry i can;t help!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

MAlegant

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »
I miss my dreams, they were very entertaining.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:14:42 pm »
Marci:

I still dream - but rarely can recall more than a fragment of the dream, although those are usually quite vivid.  Go figure. 

I have no substantial evidence to support this theory but I suspect that acoustic neuroma removal surgery is not the culprit for your loss of those once-entertaining dreams.   Of course, I could be wrong.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »
About dreaming.  You do dream.  It's vital to the operation of your brain.  People who are deprived of dreaming in labs will deteriorate over a short period of time.  If everything else is copacetic with your behavior, then fear not, you are dreaming but you aren't remembering it.  My husband rarely remembers his dreams, but he does dream, because like some old dog, he can twitch and moan and groan, but no barking that I have noticed!  I have always had interesting, long epic dreams and usually in "living color".  I don't have as much recall over the dreams as I used to, but you can re-train yourself to remember them better if you want to.  After my hysterectomy, when I was on the pain medication, I had the mother of all dreams.  Bright colors, very psychedelic, crazy dreams.  I would dream, think I was waking up, but I was still dreaming.  I had dreams inside dreams.   I was glad when THAT was over with. 

My anxiety dreams have changed over the years.  I rarely, if ever, dream anymore the dreaded "school" dream.  You know.  You've had them.  Can't find the locker, can't get the locker combination, can't find the right room, or you are in the wrong room, or you are late for the test, or you are not registered and school is starting and you don't know where to go.  You know.  THAT dream.  That has changed to anxiety over my purse.  Can't find my purse, or left the purse somewhere and I have to back track to try to get it before it's gone.  Looking all over the place for the missing purse.  That's more common to me now that the school days have been left behind long ago.  My mother died when I was 15 and we lived in Ventura, California.  I can't tell you how many dreams have centered around Ventura and Anacapa Junior High.  I've trekked all over that town in my dreams and that school was usually where I was frantically trying to get to class or find my locker.  A psychiatrist would have fun with that, although it seems pretty obvious to me and I don't need one to tell me that the obvious anxiety dream centers around a place that gave me a lot of anxiety at one point in my young life.

Happy dreaming, if you can!  (loved the flying dreams when I had them on occasion, hated the tooth dreams.  Ever had dreams about your teeth? Yuck)  I've also had dreams, now, about my AN. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mrgarlic

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »
Greetings to all. Since surgery my dreams are way out there. Yesterday I dreamed that some people had to move out of my neighborhood because the angle of their necks didn't match the angle of their roofs ????????? I don't recall any flat roofs :)  :) I highly suspect my daily dose of pills are to blame.  Take care and thanks for looking after me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:41:50 pm »
You would not believe the stuff that I experience. I've written some of it down and could post it if you're interested. Lots of heavy clairvoyant/precognitive stuff as well.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »
Me Too Crazycat, sometimes it scares the poop out of me!  Must be my Hungarian Gypsy blood!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 11:12:56 pm »
Oh, I've had AN dreams since my surgery, too. Once I dreamed that it came back. eerily enough, one of my daughters had a similar dream about me the same night. How freaky was that? I actually think remember my dreams more since the surgery.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 11:22:08 pm »
I've had a number of very vivid and exciting dreams that my hearing was coming back in my AN ear.

However, I do know what you're talking about Marci. It takes a while to shake-off the anesthesia and get back to normal after surgery.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:25:28 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 01:36:31 am »
Sounds like we are in a Twilight Zone episode now! HA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:04 am »
Thanks all.  So, in fact, it is my ability to recall my dreams that I am lacking, since as Sue pointed out, I am dreaming.  I'll chalk it up to the mysteries of brain surgery.  And I'll let you know when I can remember a dream....
Marci