Author Topic: Facial Paralysis and Facial Numbness  (Read 3427 times)

Jeanlea

Facial Paralysis and Facial Numbness
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:06:30 pm »
I am interested in finding out how many people who've had AN surgery ended up with facial paralysis and facial numbness.  The numbness part is causing my eye doctor to really worry about my eye because I can't feel anything in the eye.  I have had one infection and it gets red which tells me something is wrong.   Today I went to another eye doctor that my first eye doctor referred me to.  He wants to do something to lift the lower lid and sew the corner shut.  The goal is to bring my eye closer together so it can close easier and to decrease the open surface area.  I can close my eye on my own.  It's just slow.  I don't blink automatically yet.  I also have a gold weight in my eye.

Anyone else have these issues?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pembo

Re: Facial Paralysis and Facial Numbness
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:57:38 am »
I have facial paralysis and numbness and yes it is annoying. I too can't feel when something is in my eye. My surgery was 19 months ago and the feeling is just now starting to return. It is a little less tingly.  As for my eye, I keep it well lubricated and check it when I put in the "lube" to see that it's not got anything in it. I've had no problems. My eye dr said he didn't feel the gold weight or the stitch were necessary as long as I kept it moist.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

pejavar

• Live Life King Size!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:24:02 pm »
Dear Jean

i have the facial paralysis and numbness since the day i was operated for AN , Now here is what i beleive

1) I went through the process for a week with the procedure as "something to lift the lower lid and sew the corner shut" but it dint help me
2) I ended up getting a gold weight implant and from FEB8th , God willing I have no issues at all with the eye , Iam perfectly ok and iam able to return back to work which involved 12 hrs of computer work ( Iam a software professional)
3) Never  underestimate the advantages and beauty of Gold weight . It can solve all issues that u have due to facial numbness

Any questions please let me know

Pejavar
5.5cm Acoustic Neuroma - Right side
Removed Dec 14th, 2004
Onset of Bells Palsy Dec 16th, 2004
Gold Eye weight Implant Feb 5th 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago

Patti

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 02:18:06 pm »
It has been 5 years for me and I have permanent (I assume) paralysis of the face and scalp.  Eye care is most critical since I can't feel anything.  I have a gold weight and the corner of my lid is stitched.  The eye is the big issue.  I have had 3 bad infections in 5 years from a scratched cornes.  I lubricate often.  It is the only medical issue that I have to take care of forever.  The thing that bothers me most besides the eye is that I get wierd sensations on my scalp and face-itching, electric jolts, pain, twitches.  The eye maintanance is a lot of work but I am glad its not worse.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:14:28 pm »
I have some left side facial numbness but not paralysis. My facial nerve survived intact thankfully.
The numbness is attributable to the trigeminal nerve being moved, stretched, or, as they say in medical parlance, "insulted". I've noticed that it is gradually improving, as the doctors said it would.
     Although I have no trouble at all blinking my left eye, I do suffer a bit from "dry eye" but nothing severe enough to warrant complaining over. For someone with a 5 cm x 5 cm a.n., my doctors did a great job on me. I remember the neuosurgeon, Dr. Barker telling me that the tumor separated from the nerves really well. So it would seem that I was very fortunate!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:37:30 pm »
Generally speaking the problems that you mention are often times associated with larger tumors.
Regarding the eye issues it's important to stay on top of things.  I also have a gold weight and long term facial paralysis. The gold weight for me is a positive.  it allows me to move my eye lid more comfortably.  With it I can easily read.  It also helps in protecting my eye. It's not a cure all, but definitely adds to the quality of my life. With long term facial paralysis as time goes by additional issues arise due to loss of tone and gravity. Things that I discovered along the way.

Have regular eye check ups.  If something changes contact your Doctor.
Wear sun glasses.  With more of your eye expose you're at a larger risk.  Wear glasses on windy days to.  Invest in a good pair that goes around to the side of your head so you're protected from all sides..  Sporting good stores have some great ones.

Use eye lubicants as directed by your doctor.  Dry eye can occur for many reasons from facial paralysis, to aging. Damage to the cornea is a possibility.  Remember that not all eye drops are equal.
Stuff that gets the "red out" can actually make things worse.  Make sure that you're using artifical tears.  Ask your Eye Doctor for samples this way you can find the one that works best for you without having to pay alot in the process.

Those eye tucks that you mentioned.  Over time due to the loss of tone all things head south, most people  over the age of 30 begins to notice the shifting of body parts,  and understand the issues of gravity <g>.  The same thing is happening to your eye, with no tone over time the skins sags and pulls on the eye due to gravity, exposing a larger portion of the white part of your eye.  The eye tucks you mentioned helps to keep things in balance and protects the eye.  You will can actually see the difference.  By the way eye lid redness is a sign that needs to be checked  on and monitored.

Best to you
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:28:28 pm »
Hi Jean,

I haven't had the surgery yet, but do have the facial numbness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mary

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 06:08:14 pm »
Jean,   

I just took my mother to Dr. Baker in OKC because of the eye issue we have been battling.    It's been close to 3 months since mom has had the eye spring placed in the lid.   The swelling has not gone down and sometimes it increases.   

Dr Baker wanted to remove the spring and let mom's eye heal.   Then put a new spring in.   That was untill I told him the 5th nerve was involved.   See too has no feeling on her right eye.   So now we are trying another approach to get the swelling down.   With the lid closed it has protected the eye.   If he removes the spring he will probably sew the eye shut to protect it.

Has your doctor placed a contact over the cornia to protect it?

Mary

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:02:13 pm »
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.  It is helpful to me.  I'm leaning towards saying no to the surgery at this time.  It's only been nearly 5 months.  I want to give myself more time to heal before doing anything that drastic.  I am taking good care of my eye and keeping it well lubricated.  I still wear my goggles in the shower. 

I have learned from the many people on this board that I have to advocate for myself instead of simply accepting whatever the doctors tell me.  It's difficult for me, but I am adapting.  :-)

Phyl, good luck on your surgery.

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Karen

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 09:58:24 pm »
It has been 2 years ago Dec. 2003 that I had my surgery.  I have facial paralysis and numbness.  I have a gold weight and the corner of my eye    stitched.  I had the 12/7 nerve graft done Jan.2004.  I am hoping to have the weight removed and a lighter one put in as I am getting movement back around the eye and I can't keep it open all the way be cause the weight is so heavy. Has anyone else had this problem?  I use Refresh pm ointment 4 times a day.  Have any of you women tried wearing eye shadow on your bad eye? Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear