Author Topic: phyicial therapy and other ???'s  (Read 4166 times)

lmurray69

phyicial therapy and other ???'s
« on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:53 pm »
Did anyone have phyicial therapy after the surgery to remove the tumor , if so How long? what are some of the things that I can exspect to  happen . How long is the surgery ?Where can I read about the surgery part and what will happen?
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: phyicial therapy and other ???'s
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:12:31 pm »
  The best description of AN surgery that I've found so far is House's text " Acoustic Tumors".  It's written for fellow DRs, but has chapters on detection, evaluation of hearing, the three surgical approach's normally used to treat AN, drug's administered and why, etc.  I found it in my local teaching hospital's medical library, in the WV250 section.
Good luck,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

becknell

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:39:44 am »
The length of the surgery is very variable — it depends on the surgical approach used, the size and position of the tumor, how sticky and bloody the tumor is and other factors. It may range from a few hours to 12 hours or more. Your doctor probably won't be able to tell you exactly how long the surgery will last, as they often don't know until they get in there, but he/she may be able to give you an approximation of how long they think it might last. We got very different estimates as to how long my huband's surgery would last, ranging from 4 hours to 8 hours, and the surgery ended up taking almost 10 hours.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:48:36 pm »
Good Morning!
I had surgery on Monday, 5/9/05, and discharged on Friday, 5/13/05 directly into a Rehab hospital. My tumor was larger and more complicated than they expected.  I was unable to get out of bed on my own.  I was in the rehab hospital for 8 days, when released I was released and using a walker to get around. I had three hours of OT and PT per day while in the rehab hospital.  Once released I went to out patient OT and PT once a week until the end of June, at that point I was using a cane. Then I was readmitted to hospital for a second surgery to repair a CSF leak.  Once past that hurdle, I went to therapy for a few more weeks, started back to work part time and went for PT only once month, until October.  I was given exercises every week to do at home, and when I went back for my next appointment, they could definitely tell if I had been doing them or not.  I am now walking on my own. I have balance issues, but who doesn't and I am walking everyday to increase my stamina and strength.  I am even able to walk up/down stairs.

I had no idea, prior to my surgery that I might need any kind of therapy.  But, I am extremely happy I participated and while I am not and will never be the same as prior to surgery, my progress has been great.  I still get depressed at times because it is not going as fast as I would like, but there is progress.

One thing I found very helpful was, I keep a journal, I don't write in it every day, but often enough that my progress is being tracked.

Denise

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 06:25:05 pm »
I also had pt and ot after sugery. I was inpatient for 8 days and had 6 weeks of outpatient pt (2x a week) and continued on with ot for about 5 months. The ot was mostly for neck and shoulder stiffness. I miss those massages. They were the best part of the whole ordeal.

If ot/pt is offered, take it. I think it helps speed up your recovery and it is nice to talk to someone in the medical field about how you are doing that isn't a doctor.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:20 pm »
My OT doctor was my favorite.  I was happy to find someone that worked on vestibular disorders close to my home.  After my 8 days in the hospital they said I was doing well enough that they would not move me to the rehab floor.  My few days in OT and PT went well.  I had PT 2-3 times a week for 2 months when I got home.  It helped a lot.  My balance is almost back to normal now.  I go back again next week for a 6 month (almost) check up.  I think I can beat the balance box this time.  I get strapped into the parachute harness and then close my eyes as the floor and walls move.  If I can last 20 seconds I win.  lol  I practice by standing on the compliant surface (a pillow) and closing my eyes.  I've gotten to the point where I can do it with my feet together now.  Therapy is fun. 
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 05:10:18 pm »
Jeanlea
I was in the balance box, too. I called it the "phonebooth from hell." :P
Kind of like an all-over-body video game. Really helps with the balance, though.  My new thing is going to the gym--They have a treadmill used for cariac rehab that's not in use when I go--nice quiet corner--has a great handrail I can hang onto--I get a fasst pace cranked up and do head turns, focusing back and forth on various objects.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:36 pm »
Jean I hate physical therapy  lol

I did pt and vesitbular therapy and am currently doing physical therapy to help increase my stamina.  Like Deb I too walk on a treadmill at a pretty good pace turning my head the goal is to be able to do it without grabbing on the handrails.  I started out very slow which they said is harder but I think faster is harder.  I've also bounced on a trampoline with my eyes closed to get used to unstable surfaces.  I'd say it's like jean's balancing on a pillow. 

I orginally was sent to pt 1 day a week as that was all I could handle with my post op problems
then vestibular therapy 3 days a week for about 2 mos (I cant' say I went as prescribed as I couldn't always get a ride)
now pt 5 days a week for 4 weeks. 

Keep in mind everyone progresses at a different rate.

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:40 pm »
I went back for my 6 month check up with the PT doctor.  I was able to not fall in the test box.  I showed gains in most areas.  I scored slightly above where I should for "a woman my age."  Today I was outside for a walk.  It's warm enough.  I can walk my old route of 3 miles now at about the same pace that I used to.  I also did some 180 turns while I was walking for practice.  I even walked on the white line to see how straight I walk.  I was able to stay on it.  Can you tell I live in the country?  Hardly any cars on the road.  lol
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 07:48:11 am »
Yeah Jean big accomplishments!  I couldn't pass the white line test if my life depended on it  :(  I also couldn't walk three miles right now  lol

way to go!

Static

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 08:50:07 pm »
If I walk and turn my head at the same time it looks like I'm drunk!  Walk a straight line?  If I every got pulled over by an officer who wanted me to do that, I'd volunteer for a breathalizer test instead! Glad to hear you are all doing so well, I just don't have the stamina any more   :(
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:28 pm »
Heck I couldn't pass a drunk test if my life depended on it.  I'd blow too since I dont' drink I have nothing to worry about..with my luck that would be the day the blow test read wrong and I'd get thrown into the clink. >:(