Author Topic: Bad Weather  (Read 9095 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Bad Weather
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 08:22:45 pm »
I have a fond memory from college of driving a borrowed car in January in Chicago during one of those sub zero winter storms, and running out of gas at night, and putting gas in it from a can, and having some spill on my hand. I don't know what the wind chill of that was, but yikes that was cold!

Steve -

are you sure you meant to say this is a "fond" memory?  ;)

And David -

I'm not sure the snow-covered mountains count, unless at some point you have to shovel them  ;) :D  LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:46 am »

I like ye olde time feel of abbreviating Oregon as Ore.

Aha, I know about this!  In newspapers and other written articles it is proper to use Ore. as the abbreviation because OR is only the postal abbreviation and really isn't the correct way of writing it out for other uses.  Hopefully I put that correctly.   

Sue in Vancouver, Wash.   ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Mark H

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 06:40:58 am »
Today God willing and the weather cooperates I'm leaving the bad weather (frozen pipes) behind for a few days. Las Vegas here I come. I'll come home on the 26th and start thawing things out.   
Mark

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 05:06:55 pm »
Our newspaper said that this is the most snow Vancouver,(Washington) has had since 1950!   Wowzer.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 01:44:27 am »
Its snowing again in my neck of the woods and we are to receive freezing rain around the commute into work (for those that have too) and more snow to follow all day.  Is this "Global Warming" or is this just an "Old Fashion Winter"  ???

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:34 am »
Anne Marie we need to send all of this up to the Arctic where it'll do some good.  The Polar Bears need this!! 

(not sure we do!)

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:16 am »
Like Lori I am in the shorts today parka tomorrow weather zone called Tennessee...

It was 11*  Monday morning when I got up with some rain turning to ice , yesterday it was 23* and
raining but not freezing and this morning it is 55* ... raining a little with 100% chance of strong thunderstorms
later today...winds 30 mph with gusts of 45mph... I am gonna have to put rocks in my pockets to hold
me down if I go outside ... but seeing th wind messes with balance big time I may not go out at all ..watching
the trees swaying  through the window is bad enough

Stay warm ,dry and safe

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »
It's melting! Yay.  Back to good ole NW rain shortly.  Our Christmas is going to be on Sunday.  Nobody wanted to get out and about until then.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Mark H

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2008, 03:16:52 pm »
Sue,
I live a bit north of ya and I fully expect all the snow to be gone when I get home tomorrow. Even if my neighbor told me it was snowing this morning. It would be a terible thing to have to spend an extra night in Las Vegas.
Mark

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »
yeah, right Mark.  Another boring day on the Las Vegas strip!  :D

Well, it's melting, sort of.  It's crazy. This is the most snow Vancouver has ever had on the ground on a Christmas Day.  One for the record books, that's for sure.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 06:43:44 pm »
Thought maybe we should pull this one back up, in order to tell all you people to bundle up out there!  Good Grief!  Baby, it's cold outside.  Not here, so much, as our weather has finally returned to a more normal January, whatever that is, but gosh....hope you guys have lots of flannel underwear and down comforters to get you through this/

Brrrrrrr!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »
Seems like this is a pretty appropriate topic for most of the country right now!

All the schools around Nashville are closed tomorrow because it's cold.   ???  What????  Haven't these people ever heard of a winter coat and some gloves?  Today it was 24 degrees - tomorrow is supposed to be 23.  Does that one degree make that much difference?  Oh my goodness, kids these days.

Those of us who survived winters in Upstate NY know what cold is - with a few feet of snow thrown in there for some real fun.  They'd fall over laughing if they found out schools close down here because it's 23 degrees!  And my older kids would be laughing at me for giving the "I used to walk to school in the winter - barefoot - uphill, both ways" speech.

Stay warm - and if anyone knows where it's hot right now, let me know - I need a plane ticket there.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 11:37:59 pm »
Lori -

you are so right about school closings.  Today it was a balmy -10 here, not counting the wind chill.  The school district called me bright and early (5:30 a.m.) to say that school would be closed "due to the extreme weather".  I was hoping for a similar call from work, but no dice.  End result, Jan, at home with two kids - one of whom refused to go back to sleep after that 5:30 a.m. wakeup call  :P 

It's supposed to get down to -30 tonight and I never did hear the potential high for tomorrow, but at 8:35 p.m. the school district called and said that school will be closed again.  Tomorrow was supposed to be an early dismissal day, but now it is a "snow day".  Guess I'll be wasting another vacation day tomorrow at home with the kids - unless my office decides to close.

The amazing thing is that starting with today, my kids now have a five-day weekend, since Monday is Martin Luther King Day.  Thank goodness the school district in their infinite wisdom didn't decide to give them inauguration day off - or it would be a six-day weekend  ::)

My kids were just off of school for two weeks during the holidays - and they got the Friday before off as a snow day.  It seems like kids spend more time out of school than in school these days.  And while I don't at all mind spending time at home with my kids, their school schedule is wrecking havoc on my ability to get to my paying job.

Oh well, at least the school district won't be calling again in the morning; maybe both my kids will sleep in.  One can only hope  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 06:21:45 am »
well.... this am here just outside of Boston, it is just a wee bit cold... picture proof below! (taken just before 7am EST, inside temp bottom left, outside temp, bottom right on our atomic clock)  :o  Not far from here, out towards KBonner, it is officially -20+ below Zero F!  Will take LADavid's Santa Ana breeze anyday!

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 07:54:46 am »
Take heart..  we're in global WARMING remember!  ;)  It still amazes me that 2008 was the coldest year in over a decade, but we're in global warming.  Oh well.  I'd move further south for the warmth (low 30's this morning for the umpteenth day in a row), but my spanish isn't so good..

Regards and stay warm!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager