Author Topic: No twitches or zaps.....am I done?  (Read 3014 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

No twitches or zaps.....am I done?
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »
Okay, I already know the answer to my own question. Who knows!!!!!! NO ONE! But it is on my mind. I am 17 months post op facial paralysis and am at grade 2/3 and wondering since I haven't felt the usual zaps and zings I am thinking that I am done. What are your thoughts as I would like to go ahead and have another eye tuck but my facial therapist keeps telling me to wait..........I HATE THAT WORD! WAIT AND PATIENCE.....yuck, curse words in my book. Would you guys go ahead with the tuck or wait the full 2-3 years? What are your thoughts on no new stuff over the last month? I've heard so many good stories from people seeing alot of their improvements right now from 18-24 months but my nerve.....I guess....is lying around going........hooooo hummmmmm...... being lazy. Were ya'lls improvements drastic during this time or just a little finishing touch to what you had already gotten?
Angie.....freezing in Arkansas.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:36:34 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: No twitches or zaps.....am I done?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:21:22 pm »
Hey, Angie. Since I am behind you on the timeline, I can't give you any feedback on the twitches, etc. but I am wondering whether your facial therapist has given you any kind of guidance on how long she thinks you should wait? For example, if she says wait for the 24-month mark, that sounds reasonable. I know how hard it is to wait, but another seven months is not that long in the great scheme of things.

But if she is just asking you to wait indefinitely, you could ask for a second opinion from a neurologist or ophthalmologist.

Also, I have never had any real zaps or zings to speak of, but the progress is coming along, sloooooowly.

Hope you are having a blessed Christmas season, Angie. Have fun with those boys.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:14:09 am »
Hi , i would wait, as i am just gettng alot of movement back at 2 years post op, i would give it 2.5 - 3 years
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:56:56 am »
I'm with jazzfunkanne.

I don't speak from personal experience, but I've read on this forum numerous times that facial nerve damage can take up to 3 years to improve.

Healing takes time, especially when facial nerves are involved.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

calimama

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:46:41 am »
I was told 2 years, but i don't think the doctors know as much as the people on this site who live with this everyday. If somebody is still getting movement back at 2.5 years, then the doctors don't have all the answers.

Maybe you need some kind of distraction from all this facial business ... although it sounds like you have your hands full with kiddies! I work full time and have a 21 month daughter and a house and a hubbie and i barely have time to go to the bathroom (what mirror? what face?)  ;D

Best,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:31:24 pm »
Trish,
Good point. I don't work. I am a stay at home mom and have help with my kiddos 3 days a week. I will say that when I have my kiddos here I have much less time to criticize my face and eye. I will admit though that I am bad....when in school if I woke up with a zit I would be sick so that I didn't have to go until it went away. This facial stuff has taught me ALOT about being less vain, more patient and realizing there are more important things in life than just our faces and what clothes we wear. It has been a HUGE lesson for me and even though it has been hard I have become a more compassionate, understanding individual. I have also learned what is truly important in life and it has nothing to do with looks although what bothers me the most now is the discomfort from the paralysis more than anything. My eye.....the synkinesis, etc. If I could just get this darn eye to blink.....that is all I am really hoping for because it is hard not to focus on that when it is something you use every second of every day. Anyway........you made a good point. When I am busy, I am better.
Angie