Author Topic: 7 mo post-op & happy new year to all  (Read 1572 times)

calimama

7 mo post-op & happy new year to all
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:04:09 pm »
Hi All,

Just wanted to wish everyone here a happy new year.

For those of us who got through our diagnosis and treatment in the last year (me included) -- GOODBYE 2008!

I am enjoying extendied holidays with my hubbie and little one and reflecting on the year that was, and the one to come.  I am 7 months post RS surgery today, and feel great despite my lingering issues (facial and of course SSD). My face is coming along SLOWLY... i don't think i saw any movement/improvement for the first 5 months, and then just a tiny bit of movement in my cheek, along my jaw. Just in the past few weeks i find that i can FINALLY see some of front left tooth, maybe half of it now, and even a speck of my second tooth past the front one. I feel like i have put in the hard time of healing and now am finally getting some recovery in my face. The corner of my mouth turns up a little (mona lisa style) when i smile. My eye still won't close, but after recovering from mean double vision at around 5 months, i don't complain about my eye anymore. I manage to take pretty good care of it, although i never did get the eye lasher curler or mascara to work for me. One day...

The SSD is manageable, although there are a few times when it is pretty nasty (combined with tinitus), but most of these situations are avoidable, or temporary, so OK.

Anyway, I hope that those of you who are still struggling in the early days/weeks/months post treatment can hang in there ... things do seem to get better over time. Don't give hope and keep smiling.

Happy 2009.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: 7 mo post-op & happy new year to all
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 03:46:50 pm »
Hey Trish,
Thanks for the update.  Yes, all of us 2008 "alumni" are happy for a new year.  I'm so glad your face is making progress.  I wish you continued good health and a very toothy 2009.  ;D
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »
Hi, Trish:

Thanks for your encouraging update.  I know you've had some obstacles to overcome this past year and I'm very pleased to learn that you've met and surmounted most of them.  Your admonition to those recently into the recovery stage is appreciated and certainly accurate.  It really does get better!  maybe not 'perfect' - but definitely better.  A happy 2009 to you, too. Trish.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:16 pm »
Trish~
Eyelashes are the least of your worries now - it took me almost 13 years and not having itty bitty kids to have time to try it!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:02:08 pm »
Hi Trish and Happy New Year! ;D

I'm very glad to hear you are starting to see improvement with your facial problems -- 7 months seems like a long time to be struggling with these issues but I know it takes a long time for the facial nerve to regenerate.  You have a wonderful attutude and I hope now that you have started to see improvement it helps to keep you going.

2008 was not so great -- hopefully 2009 will be very fine!

Best wishes and sending healing vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
Trish -

You are to be commended for all the things you've overcome in 2008.  And as Wendy said, you have a wonderful attitude.

I hope 2009 is a better year for you - and for everyone else on the forum who is still struggling.

Hugs to you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MKLady

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:48:08 pm »
Hey Trish,

Happy New Year and I'm right there with you about 2008.  Glad to see it go!  January 2008 diagnosis, April translab, so I'm about 8 months.  Just a little ahead of you.  I didn't have any movement until 6 month and my progress sounds exactly like yours.  I can see the front tooth, the one right next to it and now I can see just a little of the next one.  So hang in there it won't be long until you see that one too.  By this time next year maybe we'll have big ol grins   ;D 

Congratulations on your progress.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:03:42 pm »
Hi Trish,

I would like to add my thanks for your participation here, and your great spirit and attitude in the face of adversity. Especially that wicked double vision, thank goodness it cleared up. One tooth a month sounds like a good plan to me.  ;D

Best wishes to you and Cali for a good year in 2009.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »
Hi Trish!
2008 don't let the door hit ya in the butt on the way out! Good-bye! Hope and happiness for 2009! Cheers to a healthy, fantastic 2009.
I am so glad to hear about your recovery. Slow just doesn't begin to describe facial recovery but it is happening so celebrate.
Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:24:30 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Keeping Up

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:27:29 pm »
Congratulations on 7 months - and cheers to a wonderful new year!

Up for a playdate?  I think I am running out of questions for now as I am getting much more comfy and happy about just waiting... but I am sure we could chat about something.

Take care

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'