Author Topic: Surgery date scheduled  (Read 1576 times)

Sammict

Surgery date scheduled
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:45 am »
Hi everyone

I finally got a date for my translab surgery 2/4/2009. My tumor grew 50% since my last MRI in August. So they are taking it out. It's now 1.5cm and causing me lots of facial numbness and balance issues and I lost all my hearing on the left side.

I'm a little nervous but can't wait to get it over with.

Sam

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Surgery date scheduled
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »
Sam,

I'm deeply sorry for the recent growth discovered by way of MRI and about your onset of new symptoms.  You have every right to be nervous, however be confident that you are doing the right thing.  Jenni tells the story of her professor that once told her (when she was about to give a speech to 200+), "it's okay to have butterflies, as long as they're flying in formation".  In short, it's okay to be nervous.  It's expected given the circumstances.  But, use it to your advantage and draw strength from that nervousness.

Keep us updated on the surgery and going forward.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »
The good news is that 100% of people named Sam, who have translab do extremely well!!!

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:16 pm »
Sam:

Congratulations on having surgery scheduled.   I suppose that may seem a bit optimistic but I expect you'll have a successful surgery (they'll get it all) and a smooth recovery.  Nervousness is not only expected but almost a requirement as you await a serious surgical procedure.  Please take heart by knowing you'll be in my prayers and those of many others.

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to the AN Treatment Calendar.  Feel free to edit it, as you wish.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:35:32 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:23 pm »
Sam -

sorry to hear about the growth of your AN, but glad you've decided on a course of treatment.

Waiting for your big day can be a little nerve wracking, but it will be here before you know it and as Dr. Sam mentioned, you'll do just fine.

Thinking good thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:40:13 am »
Hi Sam,

I've  been thinking about you and wondering how you are.  I'm sorry to hear about your tumor grown, but glad to hear you have a date for surgery. I know the facial numbness is probably making you a little nervous -- is it constant or does it come and go?  I had a lot of intermittant numbness before my surgery but for as much noice as my facial nerve made everything tujrned out okay -- no facial nerve problems post-surgey.  I hope it works out that way for you too.  In the meantime, try to stay busy to keep your mind off your upcoming surgery as much as you can. -- it will help you stay calm.  Keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:07 am »
Thanks everyone for all your well wishes i will keep you update as time goes on.

Sam