Author Topic: New Blog  (Read 4685 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
New Blog
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
Everyone,

I've finally gotten around to posting my story to a blog.  Thanks to Debbi's help in editing, I've finally gotten it done.  It's somewhat of a long read, but it takes you through my journey from about diagnosis, surgery, and recovery.  I welcome all comments.  The address:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

texsooner

Re: New Blog
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:41:06 pm »
Brian, great job on laying out your story. I enjoyed reading it. I can relate to a lot of what you and your familly went through.  Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:33:16 pm »
Pooter -

haven't had time to check it out - will do so later - just wanted to say I love the title!

Quite a tongue twister though  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:00:05 am »
Haha.. I'm glad you like it!  It's part of the reason that I picked it.  It may be a tongue twister, but I bet you'll never forget it!  :)

Patrick, thanks for the kind words.  I hope that someone will get something useful out of it.  My road was less than easy, at least to me, but I've managed to come out relatively unscathed thank God (with the exception of my scar which I proudly show off with short hair).  Time will tell if it's actually useful to someone.

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »
YAY my Pooter! Looks great from initial scan ... will read in its entirety later.... good for you for keeping one! I tried... I failed....

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keeping Up

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:13 pm »
I think it is great - Jenni sounds like one very nice wife!

I like to read the stories post-surgery.  As I walk this path, I appreciate the reality bite of the surgery and recovery.  It is so far from my current reality that it is good to keep it in check.  It seems on paper that brain surgery, 1 day in ICU and home 5 days later ... doesn't sound so bad.  The recovery, however, is so much slower. 

In retrospect, I am so happy with my ENT. Pre-MRI, he went through the most likely options - nothing, Meniere's or unlikely but possible an Acoustic Neuroma (and the whole run down that it is typically benign).  I researched the crap out of it between then and the MRI, and so was very well versed when he said small AN.  (Heck, I had already posted 5 or so times here!!!!)

I agree this board is a tremendous help as we all face the decision that is right for us.

Congrats on the blog ... so do you plan to keep it up?  (I am a blogger ... but very little is about ANs, and is mainly about my kidlets so likely bore the crap out of any sane soul!)

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:31 am »
I think it is great - Jenni sounds like one very nice wife!

I like to read the stories post-surgery.  As I walk this path, I appreciate the reality bite of the surgery and recovery.  It is so far from my current reality that it is good to keep it in check.  It seems on paper that brain surgery, 1 day in ICU and home 5 days later ... doesn't sound so bad.  The recovery, however, is so much slower. 

In retrospect, I am so happy with my ENT. Pre-MRI, he went through the most likely options - nothing, Meniere's or unlikely but possible an Acoustic Neuroma (and the whole run down that it is typically benign).  I researched the crap out of it between then and the MRI, and so was very well versed when he said small AN.  (Heck, I had already posted 5 or so times here!!!!)

I agree this board is a tremendous help as we all face the decision that is right for us.

Congrats on the blog ... so do you plan to keep it up?  (I am a blogger ... but very little is about ANs, and is mainly about my kidlets so likely bore the crap out of any sane soul!)

Jenni's been great.  I kind of like her a little bit.. ;)  As for the blog; I'll probably add some here and there.  For the most part I wanted to post my journey out there for people who've just been diagnosed to get a dose of reality.  Not all surgeries end with on-going complications, surgeries don't end in death, you can have a normal, happy life after surgery.. I wanted them to be able to read about while sometimes being painfully slow, recovery isn't the end of "normal" life.. but, the beginning.

Thanks all who have responded.. Hopefully what I've done is helpful to someone along the way..

Regards,
Brian

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:16 pm »
Brian -
I really enjoyed reading your blog.  I came to the forum after your surgery and never knew your whole story -- all I can say is wow you've come a long way!  I always knew Jenni was special from the way you write about her but she is even more special than I thought, you are a lucky man. 

Wishing you continued good healing,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:44 pm »
Hi Brian,

thanks for sharing your story,  I'm a newbie and still on the watch and wait, and still learning.

thanks again

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

deblyvers

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
Everyone,

I've finally gotten around to posting my story to a blog.  Thanks to Debbi's help in editing, I've finally gotten it done.  It's somewhat of a long read, but it takes you through my journey from about diagnosis, surgery, and recovery.  I welcome all comments.  The address:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Brian
Pooter, I am new to this. I read your story and it brought back so many memories, good & bad...I am jealous that I didn't get a cap :D You did a great job in writing your story. I am glad you are doing so good. Jenni is a godsent as my husband was for me 20yrs ago. May we stay in touch and share our experience. Many blessings to you and your family...

Debbie Lyvers

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »
Thanks Wendy, LisaP, and Debbie!  I'm glad you each got something out of it.  Jenni was a very big part of my recovery (and my life) and she is fairly prominent in my story for that reason.  I guess that goes to show you that no matter what part of the journey you're on, you can get something out of it.. that's what I was after.

I've had one request that I post a more recent picture to show the latest progress in my facial weakness.   I think it's a decent idea, but what does everyone else think?  Does it belong there?

Regards,

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »
I've had one request that I post a more recent picture to show the latest progress in my facial weakness.   I think it's a decent idea, but what does everyone else think?  Does it belong there?

Brian -

I vote yes.  I also think you should post the picture here so those who don't access your blog can see it.

In fact, if you can post the new picture to the old thread it would be nice; that way we can see where you "were" and where you "are" all in the same place 8)

Jan
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:44:37 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LisaP

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »
Yes, please put more pictures of yourself on the Blog so we can see the difference.

thanks

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »
Brian:

I read your blog and - I'm impressed.  Good job!  Informative and concise.  Your heartfelt appreciation for your wife is both poignant and affecting - as well as deserved.  I feel the same way about my Tina.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:58 am »
Brian:

I read your blog and - I'm impressed.  Good job!  Informative and concise.  Your heartfelt appreciation for your wife is both poignant and affecting - as well as deserved.  I feel the same way about my Tina.  :)

Jim

Heh.. Thanks!  "Concise" is not really the word I expected from you or anyone.  If anything, I felt it was kinda long-winded.  I guess I've been through alot so that begs for a longer story, but I guess I never expected that word.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,
Brian