Author Topic: My Story, My questions, Please help!!!!  (Read 9312 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: My Story, My questions, Please help!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 02:57:51 pm »
Sonja,

I was sorry to read your news re: getting a BAHA. After your surgery maybe you can think about it some more, determine whether or not you feel it would be useful, investigate the TransEar device as well, and investigate the insurance issues once more. Don't let this get you down!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »
Jerseygirl:

Thanks for the encouragement. My insurance may pay for the surgery. I am thinking if I have both surgeries at the same time maybe they will pay for the BAHA surgery and up to $1000 (this the max amount they will pay for the BAHA) towards the BAHA. That would leave me with a bill at approximately $4k versus $15k.

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:41 am »
I am thinking if I have both surgeries at the same time maybe they will pay for the BAHA surgery and up to $1000 (this the max amount they will pay for the BAHA) towards the BAHA. That would leave me with a bill at approximately $4k versus $15k.

BAHAs (the device part aka a hearing aid) typically cost $4,000 unless they went up $1,000 in the year since I've had mine.  So, if your insurance company pays up to $1,000 towards it, you'd only have to pay $3,000.

Also, I was told that it typically takes 4-6 weeks to get insurance approval, so you might want to give yourself more than 30 days to hear from your insurance company.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways