Author Topic: Post surgery resting?  (Read 5622 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Post surgery resting?
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:51 pm »
I have read here that most people feel it is important to take a couple of weeks and just rest...allow the body to heal.  Most of you know I am now scheduled for March 5th surgery, but my physician told me that my recovery time is up to me.  He said the sooner I push myself to walk and stay active, the sooner I will be back to "normal".  He said regardless of what I do in the weeks following surgery, my outcome will be the same at the one year point.  He just suggested that I would recover more quickly if I didn't give in to the urge to rest :).

So which is it?  For those of you who have already had the tumor removed, did you rest for the first few weeks, then push yourself when you had recovered from the post-op sysmptoms (not AN related), or did you get right up and push yourself to recover from the AN symptoms (balance mainly) sooner?

I would think the answer would be different for everyone, since nobody knows initially how much surgical pain and discomfort there will be in the first couple of weeks.  But here's what I would like to hear from you all.

1)  Did you push yourself or let yourself heal first
2)  How soon did you feel ready to drive again

Thanks.  You guys are great :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Patti

Re: Post surgery resting?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »
as usual, these surgeons can make you feel like a loser if you give in to your symptoms.  i'm all for not pushing too much, but doing a little each day.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

salamander

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
I vote for rest.  I did push myself, but really felt sick until about 7 weeks.  At that point, I definitely turned a corner and felt more like doing things.  Then I wondered why I felt so guilty at first for not being able to achieve more.  For me it was definitely a lesson of "listen to your body".  Now at about 3 months, I find it actually helpful to push myself to get up and move when my neck and head hurts.  The change of position seems to help relieve the pain.

I was able to drive at about 8 weeks, but was in the great-great-grandmother category until just recently, at 3 months, when I have regained mobility in my neck for turning.

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »
Here's what I would like to hear from you all.

1)  Did you push yourself or let yourself heal first?

I combined healing (resting) and as much activity as I could manage, immediately post-op (at home). The first week, I wasn't up to much but as the days rolled on, I was able to do more and more - and I did.  Walking (2 miles at a time), doing household chores (cleaning, taking out the trash, things like that), accompanying my wife to the mall to shop and generally trying to remain as active as possible. As you noted, Ernie, we're all a bit different and what I did post-op you might find impossible - or far too easy. 

2)  How soon did you feel ready to drive again?

Within a week.  I 'sneaked' some local driving (for sheer convenience) within a week of my release from the hospital and at 2 weeks post-op, my neurosurgeon gave me 'official' permission to drive.  I never looked back.  I drove wherever I pleased on an almost daily basis from that point on.  Turning my head to 'head check' when changing lanes on the interstate was a tad difficult at first but I persevered and soon it was no longer a problem. 

Again, other people's post-op experiences might not be a template for anyone else but I offer my experience in the hope that it will be of some help to you as you prepare for your March 5th surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:35:08 pm »
Hi,
I'm 12 days post op and I'm at the state where I'm feeling better but afraid to push it.  For instance today I was going to go to the store and decided to lay down instead and I slept for 3 hours!  I couldn't believe it, but I guess my body needs the rest.  My mind feels good and my body is right behind it so I'm kind of stuck between two worlds of wanting to do things and knowing I should kind of take it easy. 
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:38:08 pm »
i vote for rest, i know people who have pushed them selves and ending up back at square one.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »
1)  Did you push yourself or let yourself heal first
>  for the first month, i let myself heal first - so i was serious about sleeping, eating the right foods, taking doctor's orders to heart, and vegetate.  basically doing whatever possible to give my body a chance to recover and recharge.  When i felt my body was a little stronger and i was able to do things better with no help, i started to push myself on vestibular exercises and forcing myself to different environments which helped retrained my brain.

2)  How soon did you feel ready to drive again
> end of 2nd mth

hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

texsooner

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:41:31 pm »
Ernie, looks like you'll get a mixed bag here. I vote for pushing yourself if able. I realize that I was lucky not to have major problems with my surgery. I was walking in the hospital(albeit pretty wobbly) as soon as a day after surgery. When I got home, I started out by walking around the block a couple of times and I'll admit that my wonky head was given me some trouble, but I kept walking every day and I think that played a big part in me getting back to some resemblance of normal. After building up to walking 3 or 4 miles daily, at about 3 weeks, I started running and have never looked back. I started driving about 2 weeks post op. I say do what the doctors say, but if they don't place limitations on you, do what you can. Obviously if you have some post op problems, you'll have to take it slower.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:42:35 pm »
Based purely on reading posts in this forum, not my own experience, I think the most common scenario is:

1. Feel like a truck hit you for a few days;
2. Start getting around tentatively for a few days;
3. Start being more active and going for real walks;
4. Start feeling confident and go for something more adventurous;
5. Get slammed to the mat by a Hulk Hogan atomic drop;
6. Lick your wounds for a few days;
7. Venture forth again, a little wiser and more careful;
8. Gently but firmly push on to a full recovery.

I'm sure you'll be no different.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
Hi there Ernie:  I pushed myself,  walking, driving @ 3 weeks,  had an eye surgery 1 month after the AN surgery,
back to work (3 days/week for 2 weeks, then full time) 2 months after AN surgery.
This is no 'walk in the park' surgery,   give your body the time it needs to heal.
I needed 2 months post op to re-coup. 

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 11:35:56 pm »
Steve summed it up pretty good, I thought.

I tended to push myself as soon as the nausea got better. I walked several times a day and slept in between. Would push myself to go to malls, shopping, as time progressed. And, I of course pushed it too hard several times, paid the price and took a few steps back, but kept going.

I was walking outside on my own by 2 weeks (slow, but I was doing it). Shorter walks more often worked better for me, and my doc agreed that was better. I was driving at 6 weeks.

I was told that the more I walked the faster I would get better.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:03:04 am »
Steve said it very good!!  That was funny!
As you can see at the bottom of my post, shows that I had the AN surgery, then went home after 7 days.  I was home for 3 days, and spinal fluid starting leaking out of my nose!  YUCK.  So, had to go back, and have the same surgery all over again....including going in the tummy for the fat.  Then I was in IC for 5 days....lying with a spinal tube out of my back.  I also had to stay on my back....couldn't move for 5 days.  Thank goodness he gave me some stronger meds to kinda keep me relaxed.
Anyway, it made it allittle harder in recuperation.  He did tell me at my first appt. to him, about a week, to start walking for 30 minutes, but not fast.
So, I did rest for acouple of weeks, then was made to walk.  I found it got me stronger alot faster.  My hubby always went with me at first.  I was slow, and he just walked along.  The next week was alittle faster speed....and so on.  But, I think I got stronger faster by walking for 30 minutes.  I was thankful he told me that.....or I would have layed in bed and not tried anything for a few weeks....and that wouldn't have been good.
I didn't feel like going shopping, mind you, or a restaurant,....just walk slow.  Then, the rest will come.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:25:40 am »
Wow, it's amazing how different recovery can be for each person :).  I will plan to go easy the first week anyway, since I was told I will have significant balance issues early on due to my balance nerve being largely intact right now.

Even with the differences...it looks like I can plan to be driving again in the 3 to 6 week time frame.  Some of you were 2 weeks, others 8, so that gives me a window to shoot for.  I am off the work schedule for 8 weeks, so I think I can go easy in the beginning :).

Thanks for sharing your wonderful (and in some cases, scary) stories.   Now to find a way to make the next 4 weeks prior to surgery go by faster so I can get this behind me.  For starters, We, as a family, are heading to Universal Studios for the weekend, February 13th through 15th.  My 13 year old daughter will be confirmed (in our catholic faith) this Thursday, so this will be a treat for her as well as a way to pass the time for me :).

Anyone gonna be in Orlando that weekend?

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:06:10 am »
Weighing in late on this one, but as someone already said, you need to listen to your body.  It will tell you what you can and can't reasonably do.

I found fatigue was the longest lasting factor in what I did and how soon.  And to this day I'm still surprised how all-encompassing the fatigue was - just taking a shower in the early days post op required a nap.  But if you can get past that, then walking, etc., IMO will definitely speed your recovery.

Steve is very astute about post op stuff for someone who had radiation (how did he do that?) but in my case I followed points 1-4 of his list and then just skipped the part from the body slam forward  :D

I definitely experienced the "feeling like you've been run over by a very large truck" and it took a while to get my bearings, but I eventually did.  Towards the end of my hospital stay I started to make progress - although sometimes it was extremely slow - every day.  I had a few "one step foward, two steps back" experiences, but nothing major.

As for driving, it depends on you and how you feel.  It also depends on whether you have a necessity to drive - or if you have someone around to drive you.  I had the latter scenario, so I didn't drive until six weeks post op, even though the doc said I could drive sooner if I felt up to it.  The biggest thing with the driving is to take it slow in the beginning - short trips, uncrowded local streets - and build up to the highways, the traffic, and the faster speed limits.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 03:26:15 pm »
Hi Ernie,
I think I balanced pushing it with resting.  Another words, I really wanted to be up and moving as soon as possible, so I walked every day, a little at a time, until I was walking confidently. I think that took about 2 weeks.  At 3 weeks I felt much stronger and started to run a bit.  By 5 weeks, I was running again.  When I wasn't walking or running I was sleeping or resting.  And eating very healthy foods.  So, move, rest, eat, and listen to your body. Oh, and I think I was driving by 3 weeks but very short distances.  That also improved incrementally until I was back to my old driving self.  So much of this is dependent on balance issues and other post-op things.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.