Author Topic: Sonja Update  (Read 6753 times)

NL

Re: Sonja Update
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »
I just spoke to Sonja and she is doing great! She's had no nausea or dizziness, and no pain with the exception of a minor headache. She sounds like she has much more energy than I did at 10 days post-op - she even accompanied Dexter on a trip to the store!

They are flying home to Maryland tomorrow, and Sonja will be returning to the forum soon to fill everyone in on her experience first hand.

Here are some pics from our lunch two days before her surgery:

David, Lainie, Sonja, & Nancy

The group with Sonja's hubby Dexter

Sonja - Looking forward to hearing from you once you're back in the comfort of your own home. (And to your BAHA update in 90 days!)

Rest well and enjoy the naps!

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 04:46:11 pm »
David/Nancy ~

Thanks so much for the photos - and the update.  Sonja looks wonderful and apparently had a very successful procedure.  I look forward to reading her account when she returns.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:48:28 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 05:04:36 pm »
Continued healing Sonja.   Keep a peaceful heart.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:50 am »
Glad to hear Sonja's recovery is going so well.  There's no place like home  :)

Love the pictures - great hat, Sonja!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NL

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:42 pm »
Sonja is going to love reading everyone's well wishes when she gets home.  ;D

Cheri - Thanks for the reminder on the "pics" thread. I haven't seen it for a while - I think it's time for a bump, anyway.

Jan - Are you sporting a Steve Gerrard original in you new pic, too? You and Phyl are two lucky girls!  ;)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
Hi Sonja,

I wish you a speedy recover and I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you feel up to that.

Best wishes,

Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 11:32:29 pm »
Jan - Are you sporting a Steve Gerrard original in you new pic, too? You and Phyl are two lucky girls!  ;)

As a matter of fact, I am.  It's a one of a kind original  ;D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 01:21:07 am »
Thank you, Cheri  ;D

Actually Phyl and I have both posted pictures on other threads. 

They're somewhere in the AN Community topics.

Jan

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:33 am »
Hi Everyone:
I wanted to give everyone an update of my surgery and recovery and especially thank all of you wonderful folks. I am so appreciative and thankful for all your sharing, caring, and wishes of wellness. You really make a person feel not alone. Words do not express adequately how grateful I am.

I want to also express my deep appreciation to the wonderful House Alumni group, NancyL, Lanie and LADave. They were very kind to take their time and meet with my husband and me before the big day. They will never know how helpful that meeting was. They answered questions, shared their experience and gave their support. You guys are truly my heroes.

Today is a little over two weeks since my surgery. Doctor’s John House, Swartz and Stefan from the House Ear Clinic were my team of doctors. I cannot say enough about these humble, experienced, doctors. I would have to agree with Jerseygirl2; in if I had to do it over again I would walk from Maryland to LA to have these wonderful doctors on my surgical team.

I had no vomiting, nausea, blurred vision or dizziness. I was awoken with no facial weakness but had a delayed 2 on the HB scale. I believe I am now back to a 1. My balance is good and I am stable. I believe I may have started compensating before surgery. My tumor was 2.2cm x 1.6cm. It had not grown since my last MRI in October 2008 but it was complicated because the facial nerve had wrapped around the tumor. In my case it’s a good thing I did not opt for radiation. The last few days I have been getting headaches, they aren’t too bad but annoying. I am of hopes that they are temporary. They almost feel like sinus headaches.

If I can answer any questions or help anyone please PM me. If anyone is considering the House Ear Clinic and wants to talk I am always available. No longer a lurker but a posrie.

Thanks again you guys.
Sonja

Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 07:59:21 am »
Great news, Sonja!
So many upbeat surgery outcomes lately, I know I and others will make that list in weeks to come.
Thank you for reporting.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 09:24:40 am »
Sonja,
That's awesome.  Take good care of yourself.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 10:15:45 am »
Sonja,

Congratulation on having such a wonderful surgical outcome.  We always love hearing good news from our new posties!  Rest and heal and most of all be patient.  Patience is a key ingredient in recovery.

Sending you continued welness wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 07:50:57 pm »
Sonja,

It was wonderful to read about your outstanding surgical results! Sounds as though you're doing just great, and I'm so happy for you. Get lots of rest and continue your good recovery.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 06:06:25 am »
Hey, Sonja!  Great to hear from you and SO glad things went so well for you in LA!  Yes, weren't those LA folks great?!?  They were a huge factor in my success story!

I too had a delayed facial weakness - very minor.  At about 2 1/2 months out, it was all but gone and now at four months out, it would be very difficult for anyone else to notice anything. 

Again, glad you're doing well - and glad you're not going to be a lurker any more! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:40 am »
Congrats Sonja!  I'm really happy that things are going well.. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager