Author Topic: Sonja Update  (Read 6755 times)

LADavid

Sonja Update
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:53 pm »
I talked with Dexter, Sonja's husband -- and probably the happiest man alive.  Sonja's out of a successful translab -- and fitted for a Baja.  She went into surgery at 7:30 and was out by 2:00.  Dexter said she had a bit of a headache but was fine other than that.  He'll provide more updates that I'll post on this thread.

Lovin' good news
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

Re: Sonja Update
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »
Lovin' it too. Hope she goes home soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:29:05 pm »
David~
You're so good at delivering news - ever thought about being a newsman??   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:13 pm »
Hmmm.  That is actually what I went to college for, Kay.  But through the twists and turns of fate, I ended up in Advertising -- which I spent most of my somewhat adult life doing.  Before I really got serious about things and started acting.  But looking back on it now -- it would have been fun being a Dave Barry -type columnist.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

NL

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:34 pm »
Thanks for the update David. I'm glad Sonja's doing well - and Dexter, too! I think it's much harder for those sitting in the waiting room.

Looking forward to more good news,

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:17:30 pm »
David -
Thanks for the update. 

Sonja and Dexter -- I'm glad to hear things went well.  I hope you are both resting comfortably and that Sonja will soon be released.  Please keep us updated.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »
David ~

Thanks for the update on Sonja.  I'm so pleased to learn how well she's doing, post-op. 

Advertising man, actor, newsreader.  Pretty much all in the same ballpark, as it were.  Besides, I worked in positions peripheral to the broadcast news business (radio D.J.) and it isn't all that glamorous as some think it is, and, as you well know, 'show-biz' is loaded with strange people and a sea of gigantic egos.  Now, a Dave Barry-type column might be a lot more interesting.  I could go for that too, but, alas, I get no offers.  Must be my occasionally esoteric verbiage.  Oh, well.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »
Weird that you mentioned Dave Barry - he is my new hero and I don't think I have ever seen or heard him!!  Addi has started reading the Peter and the Starcatchers series (it is a prequel to Peter Pan) and was co-authored by Dave Barry!  Addi has really never finished a book - even though we have started millions!  I think she is a bit dyslexic (as do her teachers) - she has compensated well and does EXTREMELY well in school but I think unless something is VERY interesting, it is too much work for her to read for pleasure.  Well, these were the books that kept her interest!!  The 1st was 400 pages (I think that is pretty good for her 1st major book to finish!) and the 2nd was 567!  She is now on the 3rd book - thus, my new hero!!  I can't get her to put them down - love it!!!

K - the happy mama!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:13:53 pm »
Kay -- Great to hear that about Addi.  Dave Barry is a good read.  He gained his fame in the 80's and 90's as a very witty and saterical columnist for the Miami Herald.  There was even a sit-com based on him called Dave's World staring Harry Anderson. He's written a bunch of books -- my favorite is Dave Barry's Greatest Hits -- published in 1988 -- back when you were a mere tyke ;).
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:18 pm »
That is terrific news....sending healing vibes..... :-*
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:06:14 pm »
Thursday Update:  Sonja was moved from ICU (Ice Chip Hell) to a Private Room (Purgatory) this afternoon.  She still has a bit of a headache and slight palsy but is doing well.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 08:13:05 pm »
Just heard from Dexter.   Sonja is doing outstanding.  She's up and walking with little assistance and will be released tomorrow.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 02:08:51 am »
David, if you are going to be a TV newsman, you will have to get into the mode:

"This is David Shannon, live at the world headquarters for Acoustic Neuroma Surgery, the House Ear Clinic here in Los Angeles, California. We have just learned in an exclusive interview with Dexter that Sonja is doing outstanding, and she is up and walking with little assistance. Our exclusive sources indicate that she will be released sometime tomorrow. We will continue to bring you live coverage of this breaking news story as it unfolds. This is David Shannon, live at the House Ear Clinic. Now back to you."

Steve  ;D
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 02:29:56 am »
Steve -- I heard a bit of Geraldo in that.  I need to refresh my learnin'.  I'll try it out next week.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Lainie181818

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »
Hi David,
great news about Sonja. That is fantastic that she is being released tomorrow. When are they returning to DC ?
Lainie