Author Topic: Home from Hawaii  (Read 3601 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Home from Hawaii
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:22:57 pm »
We survived our trip to Hawaii and I survived being on a cruise ship!  I took my seasick bracelets and wore them on occasions and I never got sick.  I wore them on our whale watch trip, which was, of course, a smaller boat and I had a great time.  I had no particular balance issues, and we had "moderate" seas, except for the last day and those puppies were pretty big to me!  Everyone was staggering around, so I just fitted right in.  The only balance problem that I had was at Poipu Beach, on Kauai.  The soft, soft sand, the waves pushing me around, and looking down into the water kept me very unsettled and I had to slowly retreat and get my hubby so that I could hang onto him when we went out again to get into the water.  I probably looked like an old lady dork, but that's the way it was.  Now I have the sensation of moving up and down, which doesn't surprise me, because the last small cruise I went on, that stayed with me for a few weeks.  I don't like it however!  I've got my own little roller coaster thing going on here.  I'm grateful that I had no balance issues on this trip.  We had a nice time. Weather wasn't all that great, but they are in a cool, wet weather pattern now and have been for a few months I guess.  The locals are tired of it.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

Re: Home from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:09 pm »
Sue,

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip (although I'm quite jealous!).

I think I would put up with the dizziness, balance issues, etc if I got to be in Hawaii when it happened.  Seems like a good trade off!

Welcome home.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »
Weather wasn't all that great, but they are in a cool, wet weather pattern now and have been for a few months I guess.

Judging by the picture you posted in the GM thread, the weather wasn't all that bad either. I hope you invited them to the Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area, for a taste of what a real cool, wet weather pattern is like. We've been in one for a few years, I would say.

Glad to hear you had a good trip.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »
We had decent weather on Poipu Beach, but it got really windy and we had nice weather in Kona.  But, mostly cooler and wetter than you would want in Hawaii.  But I'm not complaining.  We was a nice vacation.  And if you want to see a little bit of the entertainment we saw, go to youtube and put in The Fountains NCL and you can watch the video of what is really a funny bit NCL put together.  It was a different ship than ours, and the routine is a little different, but basically the same thing.  We thought it was hilarious.  I knew Youtube would have it on there. And, yep, there it is.

Maybe I can get another picture up here to show you what the weather was really like! 

Sue in Vancouver

This is one of the last sugar mills in Hawaii. This is on Maui.  When I lived there in the late 1960's I worked for Hawaiian Sugar Planter's Assoc. and I did data entry and I did monthly reports from all of the sugar mills.  They are almost all gone now.    Notice the clouds!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:22:08 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »
Okay, that is not your standard Hawaii postcard, I will grant you that. Still, in Portland we would call that "scattered sun breaks," and consider it a pretty nice day!

So, it wasn't a warm sunny vacation every day, oh well. It sounds like you had a good time, and it beats hanging around the Pacific Northwest all the time.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:34:42 pm »
 :D :D

Yes, in Portland that's not a bad day for March! 

We had a good time, clouds or no clouds. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:01:23 am »
Hi Sue,

I just got back from Maui on Tuesday and thought it was pretty funny to see some of the locals walking around in snorkel jackets and winter boots....I was in board shorts and a t-shirt..... ;D. A friend there said whenever its "cold" you can tell when people 1st moved to the island by the style of the warm clothes they pull out of their closet.

The "postcard picture" doesn't give you the wonderful smell that you get as you go past the mill on the shortcut to kihei... ::)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:19 am »
Hi Sue!
Glad to see you had a nice trip to Hawaii and are home safely!
I had the good fortune to go in 2003 -it was a long flight from the East Coast - my daughter and i are still trying to figure out a way to 'beam' over there to avoid the travel time!  Your picture is kul - i didn't get to see a sugar mill while i was there. - We went for a wedding on Maui, but stayed 10 days - so we hiked down into the volcano on the Big Island, went back at night to see the lava flow, saw the black beach, as well as visited Punch Bowl, North Shore, and my choice - paid our respects to the Arizona.  -- An incredible place, Hawaii.

So - we are headed southward in a week to the BVi.  This is closer than Hawaii for us.  [My daughter keeps saying she wants to go to New Zealand, OMG!]
It is about 25+ degrees warmer there and partly cloudy.  I'll take that.

All my best to you and yours!
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:15 am »
Sue,
A good time is a great vacation...wherever you go.  Must be this odd weather has even affected or infected paradise!!  I got dizzy reading about the waves.....darn!  :)  Glad you had a good time and got back safely!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:57:48 am »
Sue and Stoneaxe in Hawaii!!!  Really, that's not fair to the rest of us! 

...yes, I'm just jealous...

Glad you guys had a good trip, despite the "cold" Hawaiian weather ;)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:51 am »
Hu Sue,
Welcome home!  I'm glad to hear you had such a great vacation -- I've always wanted to go to Hawaii.  Sorry you don't have your land legs back yet and I hope it won't be long.  Take care.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:40:24 am »

So - we are headed southward in a week to the BVi. 
It is about 25+ degrees warmer there and partly cloudy.  I'll take that.

Them's me old stompin' grounds, the BVI!!! I usta be a charterboat captain down there in the 1970's and lived on St John and St Croix as well. Are you bareboating?  Be sure and spend the night at Marina Cay and take in Michael Bean's music show--he's my old music partner from my St Croix days.  He is quite a character and a fine and original musician and salty sea dog and fellow pirate.

Here's his website: http://www.beansmusic.com/

And---Welcome home Sue-wench!  We Missed Ya!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »
Thanks everyone. Glad to be back.  Hopefully the "rolling" won't last too long.

Well, better go do something.  I feel sorry that my husband had to go to work today.  We need a few more days to recover from the vacation! Go over to the Good Morning thread and you'll see the famous Kauai rooster!

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

OTO

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »
I live in Hawaii....   when it hits 70 deg, we start wearing long underwear... ha ha...  one the central plain of Oahu (up around Wahiawa... Mililani area) it was in the low 60's for a couple of evenings...  people thought it was the next Ice Age...   

On the Big Island (Hawaii), up in the Mauna Kea area there is alot of snow this year, so the locals have been snowboarding...  The problem is the altitude is so high, most people get dizzy....  another problem is sliding off the snow field into the volcanic rock... always a hazard...

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
Yep, Oto, the locals aren't used to the frigid air!  ;D   But, rightly, so.  You get used to that warmth and so, the 60's feel pretty darn cold!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode