Author Topic: I Got My Hat!!  (Read 9441 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: I Got My Hat!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 04:24:55 pm »
K- what a great hat!  Steve, I continue to be impressed...Oh and K--you look fabulous!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »
Blue was the perfect choice!  You look terrific. Steve, you just keep on spreading joy, one hat at a time.  Pretty soon newbies to the site are going to think we are a cult ;D.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 05:06:06 pm »
K -

the blue was definitely the right choice - so beautiful with your eyes!  I'm glad you passed on the red one - it probably looks better on DHM anyway - in light of her glasses & moustache LOL

Hmm, I have blue eyes too.  Will have to contact Steve about making me another hat  8)

Yes, yes, I know, many others in line before my name comes up again  :D

Hey, Lori, where are you on the hat list?  Two-thirds of the comedy team have their hats already; we're waiting on yours.

Jan

PS to Capt. Deb - love the new picture of you and the pirate dog  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:06 pm »
Kaybo,
I love how you look in your hat! I happen to check in yesterday for an update on Scott's (former) book project, and noted you mentioned as a potential contributor.  Then  saw your wonderful website about curly girlies.
Just wondering, who is Steve, and what is the deal with ANers in hats? Right after surgery almost nine years ago, I always wore a big Panama hat outside, to help keep the sun out of my eye.
Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:58 pm »
Amazing picture Kay, and what an amazing hat Steve.  Just wiping the tears in my eyes. 

Such a lovely man!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »
Very cool hat Kay and Steve.  It goes well with the pearls.  Looking great,Kay.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »
Just wondering, who is Steve, and what is the deal with ANers in hats?

That would be me, and the deal is that I knit hats for people.  ;)

I suppose you want more explanation. I could say it started as a joke after we read The Friday Night Knitting Club in the now dormant AN Book Club, and then escalated to the point where I decided in January 2009 that I would actually start knitting hats. But I think I would rather just ask: why not knit hats for people? It is fun.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the hats. More are in the works, and I am always taking notes...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:25 pm »

Just wondering, who is Steve, and what is the deal with ANers in hats?

Sunny Disposition Steve is this absolutely wonderful guy in my PDX ANA support group and one of our ANA on-line moderators who is winning the hearts of many... with his poetry and knit hats (known to Canadians as “toques�) … his hats are magical and cure AN “wonky head� moments.

He is one of those warm fuzzy kinda guys

Here is his poetry...

Steve is THE Renaissance man of our ANAUSA  ;) :-*

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5644.0

DHM  8)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

kate

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 12:23:59 am »
Steve and DHM,
thanks for the speedy reply on "who is Steve" and "what's the deal with the hats". I loved the story of the book club and how it evolved to Steve knitting hats for people. Such a very nice thing to do. And the Christmas poem was hilarious.
Kate
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

wendysig

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 06:16:42 am »
K -

I noticed when I was reading the latest posts to Donnalynn and Family you were wearing a "Steve original"  and asked when you got it.  Now I know  ;D

Blue is definitely your color!

Steve -  Nice hat!!! ;D  Your fingers must be tired from all the knitting you're doing!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

moe

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 10:02:15 am »

[/quote]

I decided in January 2009 that I would actually start knitting hats. But I think I would rather just ask: why not knit hats for people? It is fun.

[/quote]
Steve,
You are being quite productive for just starting knitting in Jan 09.  Great job :)
Kay, I love your pic, and your hat.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:25 pm »
Lori there's a hat list???? ??? Oh Steve your hats are fabulous... I think you've got something here. First a scarf now a hat...
Looking good K!!!  :-*
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 06:51:46 pm »
Michelle - how did we miss out on getting on the list?  I guess I was too busy coming up with money-making ideas for the garage surgery business and you were too busy thinking about your tattoo!

Maybe we can get Stoneaxe to add body art to our garage business, and Steve can set up a table with handmade hats.  Talk about one-stop shopping - this will be better than Walmart. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

NL

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 01:47:34 am »
Kay,

You lucky girl - you got a Steve original! You look beautiful in the blue  - and it does match your eyes!

Jan - I really thought your eyes were green - they must have picked up the color of your hat!

Kate - I think we met last month at the new LA support group meeting in Burbank. I was the one sitting over by the table with the food ;D with dark, curly hair. If it is you, we were both among the last few people to leave. Good to see you here!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

kate

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 01:53:53 am »
Nancy,
Yes, indeed, we did meet at the Los Angeles support group which met in Burbank. I am glad the meetings are starting up again, it was so inspiring and empowering to hear everyone's stories. It is nice to see you here, and I look forward to seeing you again at a meeting.
Kate