Author Topic: Post-op MRI's, how often?  (Read 7121 times)

Pembo

Post-op MRI's, how often?
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:49:30 pm »
I'm wondering how often your doctor said you will have MRI's after surgery?

Please say whether any tumor was left or was completely removed.

My tumor was completely removed, MRI's every year for "awhile"
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Post-op MRI's, how often?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:32 pm »
I had one after 3 months (because I had issues  >:( ) ... then every year ... for I assume forever...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:25:52 pm »
I had one at 3 mos, having another one at 10 mos and then I think I was told yearly until  forever.  My tumor was completely removed. 

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:02:34 pm »
Three at two years out. Now on the 5 year plan. They said the got it all.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

stein78

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:40:14 am »
I was told one year, three year, and then the five year mark.  However, I might just go every year, I got good insurance.  :D
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

matti

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 11:22:36 am »
I had an MRI at years one, three and five. I went in for odd symptoms at year 6, had an MRI, no re-growth. (Complete tumor removal at time of surgery)

For the last several months (I am 7 1/2 years post op) I have been having new symptons. severe pain on AN side of head and face, tingling sensations in same areas, stabbing ear pain and it feels as if I am carrying a 5lb. weight on the side of my head. Had an MRI on Feb. 10. Good news is that tumor has not come back, but I might have a virus that is somehow irritating the nerves on my AN side. I have now been referred to a neurologist.

I know that whatever problems  have cropped up during the last 7 years, my doctors do not hesitate to do an MRI and I am more than happy to oblige!!!!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:07:27 am »
  My Drs have asked for MRI exams at 6 months and 1 year post-op.  Not sure if every bit of the tumor was removed-- I haven't wanted to ask just yet. I had a CT scan the day after surgery, I assume looking for bleeding, blood clots, etc.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

sunshine16

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 06:25:36 pm »
My doctor asked for every year MRI.  My 4.5 cm. tumor is completely removed.  * cross my fingers*  No regrowth......... 

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:37:14 pm »
I was told to have one at first year post-op 12/06.   Doc says, "It is all out".  He was there, he knows!  removed the tiny bits.

pstressel

• Caffeine Pit Stop
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 08:46:41 am »
Reading all these replies has made me nervous!  I had mine removed 5 yr ago and have not yet had a follow up MRI.  My doctor (Dr Brackman HEI) told me to get one at 6yr.  Should I double check with this??  ***a bit panicky now***
succsessful translab  2.5 cm right side
left some paralysis
surgery date 1/02 Dr Brackman and Hitselberger HEC

sunshine16

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 10:56:49 am »
hi PStressel,

In my own opinion, (I'm no doctor)  It's good to have one every year, especially the first 3-5 years after surgery, and  if you have insurance and it covers the MRI, just to be in the safe side.  In my case, I have 2 good insurances and I will definitely get an MRI yearly..  my 4.5 cm tumor was completely removed but my doctor still asked for a yearly MRI??? again this is just my opinion....  **Shrug**
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:58:20 am by sunshine16 »

thecakes

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 12:19:40 pm »
  They took my little devil out in 02.  I'v been having one a year, but now they say its not nessasary any more since they got it all out.  I just wander sometimes, if they really did, or just think they did.  I'm not going to worry about it.

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 04:35:37 pm »
Mine was at 3 mos, 6 mos and a year and if all stays clear then I go to yearly.  I read somewhere that there is a high rate of regrowth in the first 3 years?  I hope I was reading about toenails or something! 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 02:12:06 am »
pstressel: don't panic and if it will make you feel better just have it now. I myself was mismanaged in this department and didn't have an MRI until around 7 years post op, it turned out there was tumor there (it is unknown if there was tumor left behind from the first surgery or if I just grew another in the same spot) but it was tiny and causing me no harm. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 04:26:03 am »
General agreement on this site is to have one annually'ish. Its more for peace of mind really.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz