Author Topic: Muffins? Stress management . . .  (Read 5333 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Muffins? Stress management . . .
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »
I think it is how I deal with stress . . . baking, that is.  So, I got up early this morning and made flax,oat, carrot, apple, walnut, raisin muffins, and they were so good that I decided to load up a basket to take to the surgical team on Wednesday morning.  But that wasn't enough, so I baked blueberry corn muffins with my homegrown blueberries.  Am I nuts?  Will they even let me take those to the surgical team?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Muffins? Stress management . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:31:50 pm »
Nancy ~

Keeping busy baking muffins is probably a very healthy way to deal with stress.  The results of your bake-a-thon sound delicious!  I'm sure the surgical team will be delighted with your culinary gift.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:05:58 pm »
The doctors probably won't want them, but I wouldn't want them to go to waste, so just send them here and I'll make sure they get eaten - every last crumb!   ;)

Ok, maybe the doctors want them, I was just trying to score some homemade muffins.

I brought homemade Christmas cookies to my doctors office last year - you would have thought those people hadn't eaten in a month!  I'm pretty sure they were gone before I even made it to the elevator.  I know your doctors and nurses will appreciate the muffins too! 

Besides, you'll want them well nourished for the job at hand.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:54:24 am »
To handle my stress I have been Knitting...an afgan for my 5 mt old grandson. And lots of those knitted dish cloths
Good luck Nancy on Wed.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

NancyMc

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:51:56 am »
I gave all my knitting equipment to my daughter, so . . .

Good luck tomorrow, JO.  Wow, can you believe it?

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:36 am »
Good luck tomorrow, JO.  Wow, can you believe it?
Nancy, I know...Took so long to get here, but yet way to fast. Not sure what I'm feeling right now...Going to see my grandson shorty and then to Walmart to stock up on some wool for when I get home.
We'll both be a postie soon :)
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

NancyMc

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:15:08 am »
Well, you're optimistic, JO, about knitting post-op.  I was wondering yesterday if I was going to be able to bake or iron or read!  Time will tell.  I was so close to being a postie in February and then my balloon got popped, so it seems a little unreal at this point.
I asked my brother who is a surgeon if they will let me bribe the surgical team with muffins.  Here's what he said . . .
That stuff never hurts and almost always gives you an edge.
Pretty funny.  With my luck, I'll give them all food poisoning, and the B team will have to be called in.
Well, I'll just carry the muffins along and see if they accept the offering.
Looking forward to hearing your news post-op,
nANcy

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:29 am »
Nancy and JO,

Just wanted you both to know that my prayers will be with you!  JO, yours is Tomorrow and Nancy, yours is Wednesday, right?  I should check the calendar :).  Just checked it :).

I see DLM4me is also scheduled on Wednesday at House!  Prayers going out to you too!

I bet they will accept the muffins Nancy.  They will share them with the rest of the staff as well.  Don't be surprised if they are chowing down muffins even during your surgery :).

As far as being able to knit or bake after surgery...I'm going to say absolutely yes!  You may not feel like it for the first week you are home, but you will soon start to get back to your old routines as the fogginess fades and the body heals.

Take care of yourself these next couple of days, don't do anything to jeapordize your surgery date!  No 2nd degree muffin burns or knitting needle puncuture wounds!  ;D

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:34:50 am »
Too funny, Ernie.
I called and asked if they would accept the muffins for the surgical team, and they, a little too eagerly, said YES!  I wonder who really eats them.
And then I though of just that . . . eating during surgery . . . and would they be careful about crumbs falling into the craniotomy.  (I just learned that word, so I'm trying to use it.)
Is LA David on vacation?  Where's my word of the week?  I've been anxious to learn which one he applies to us lovely ladies this week.

JudyT

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:24:18 pm »
Nancy.....cooking is also a great stress reliever for me also. I love Italian cooking..soooo I get in my kitchen, pull up a barstool if needed and start in. As I am a widow it's just me.....1 person trying hard to maintain weight and I cook enough food to feed an army. (raised three boys) You would think I was a caterer or something. I have to call my son and ask him to come take home dinner.....he says I am the best "take out" ever and free to boot. I shop like there is going to be a famine....2 fridges...1freezer and a walkin pantry......always at the ready to "relieve the stress" It is so enjoyable for me as my son has a family of 6 and both work and they welcome whatever I send home.....grandkids even put in their requests for food from Nanny if she is in the mood to cook.......first thing they do is go to the fridge/pantry and begin the "search" Keep it up as it is a great thing and much appreciated too as well by all including us.....the "cooks". Food is good for the soul and spirits. When I have a "not so good" day....cooking/baking is very beneficial for me.
Judy

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 06:30:35 pm »
I made a 'Bribe basket' for my surgical team.  It went over really well, they all loved it!  It's such a long surgery, I figured they needed 'fuel'.  I made them biscotti, chocolate chip cookies, morning glory muffins and lemon blueberry scones.

3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »
Oh WOW ..... wish I had surgical team skills if that's what they get!! ;D  Not only delicious (I'm sure!!!!) but cleverly packaged and delivered as well!!

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ghenier27

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:20:24 pm »
Well Ladies, I am glad that I am not the only one who 'cooks' when stressed. I thought about making some dishes and freezing them so when I get home I would have to wonder about meals. But I have heard that some people experience a metal taste after surgery. Anyway, when I do to start to feel like eating- the food will be there to heat up.

I wish everyone luck on the way to their date and please keep us updated. Debi

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »
I made them biscotti, chocolate chip cookies, morning glory muffins and lemon blueberry scones.

You do remember the rule that if your surgery is successful, you have to mail a basket to each of the forum moderators, right?  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »
LOL Steve.

Ummmmm........can't say I heard that one?  ::)
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!