Author Topic: Off to Work - and a PROMOTION?!!!  (Read 2865 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: Off to Work - and a PROMOTION?!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:01:15 pm »
You guys are just the best.  I'm all fluffed up like a peacock (in heels) and feeling great.  I have just loved reading so many positive stories about overcoming challenges and what life can be like post-op.   With so much crap we have to deal with as we follow our own paths, it's nice to share good things too.  What a place this is...help with coping, advice, counseling, encouragement, and cheerleading. 

BTW..thanks Verl for the practice tip.  My fellow clarinetist dropped off a folder of music to me to start getting my chops back.  Patience is not one of best traits!!!  I'll lower my expectations...just a tad!!! 

Lilan, you made me laugh - me and a prom at 48 painted quite the picture!!! Brought back some good memories...that 70's music, platform shoes, bad hair, no worries.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Coincidentally....my daughter, husband, and I are going to an Aerosmith and ZZTop concert in July.   We can't wait!

Well, it's 9:00 pm and I'm exhausted.  Off to bed!!!  Love you guys!!!

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »
Verl~
Good to "see" you! - Missed ya!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:36 pm »
Kathy, you sound great and I'm so glad you're having such a good time to boot.  I think it's important to remind people (especially those waiting for surgery) that life does go on, and sometimes (promotion?!) it can get even better.  What an inspiring post.
Thank you,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 05:37:18 am »
Kathy

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well and getting a promotion to boot!!  Congratulations-- you've come a long way in a very short time!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

vjgfamily

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 10:11:42 am »
Kaybo, I check in from time to time.  But I mostly just "lurk", because usually someone else has already said the good stuff.  Hope all is well.

Peace,
Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

suboo73

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:48 am »
Congratulations, Kathy! 

What a way to go, back to work and those 3 inch heels (i haven't been able to do that one for awhile...! LOL!)
Wishing you all the best with your promotion.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 06:56:57 am »
Coincidentally....my daughter, husband, and I are going to an Aerosmith and ZZTop concert in July.   We can't wait!

Hi Kathy,

Nice choice!  I love ZZTop and Aerosmith.  I know it's not until July, but if you remember, report back here on how the concert went for you.  I don't do well in loud places anymore.  I'm SSD also, plus I have a type of tinnitus that gets amplified by sounds coming into my good ear.  Lucky me.  I was at a baseball game last weekend and I actually ended up with pain in my AN ear.  It wasn't constant, and it won't be enough to keep me away from another game in the future :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

texsooner

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 07:41:43 am »
"small hijack warning"......my son and I are also planning to go see Aerosmith and ZZTop in the Houston area in July. I'm also SSD and don't like loud places, but I try not to let this stop me from things I enjoyed(pre-AN).

I have found that if I use an ear plug in my good ear(I do this a lot at restaurants) it cuts down a lot of the background noise and I can still hear what I want to hear at the table.

I know it may defeat the purpose some, but I'll probably also do this at the concert as my good ear is really sensitive to loud sounds and can really increase the tinnitus on my SSD/AN side. May not work for y'all, but thought I pass on what works for me.
Enjoy.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 11:56:07 pm »
Kathy,

Congrats!! Awsome news! I got a promotion within 2 weeks of returning from my leave so can relate with some of the worries of if I could handle the new position and only 8-9 weeks post op. I too work in a big building with very high ceilings and at the time a lot of noise. Although it was challenging at first, I think in the long run it actually helped me get better quicker. (I still won't do 3" heels, though...of course, I didn't before the surgery, either!) LOL

I know this forum is an awesome place, especially when one is having issues or problems or just needs someone who understands what they're talking about. But, I also think it's great when we share our successes, too. Shows that everyone is indeed different and although we may all go down similar AN recovery paths, there are little twists and turns in it that make it unique for each of us.

Cathy

HOORAY!! CONGRATS!!!
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »
Congrats (belated) to you too, Cathy!!!  Here's hoping for lots of terrific new beginnings for you and yours as you go....

Patrick and Ernie - yikes!  I never thought about how the loud noise might affect my ears!  I'm so glad you brought it up - I will definately look into ear plugs.  I've really not been exposed to many loud noises since surgery, but i'll surely have some great loud music to deal with at the concert.  I will definately report back on the concert.  I am so excited!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!