Author Topic: Rejected!  (Read 5025 times)

Cheryl R

Rejected!
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:25:42 pm »
I recieved the letter from the Social Security Disabilty today with pretty much what I expected!    Rejected!          Ok, now will appeal and think have done better thinking of how to talk about myself and what I may have forgot.         I can do a different type of work they think.             It must not have sunk in that it is not safe for me to be out in winter icy weather!       Most places do like you to work year around.            I wonder if next time they will say I have to move to the SW US!            I really didn't want to open the envelope but took it pretty well after some time of being the sad and mad part.             So now try again and see how it goes!                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Rejected!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:23 pm »
Cheryl,

I wish you had received the news you wanted. It sounds like you have already decided on a next step by working through the appeal process.    I wish you the outcome you want in the second round.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »
So sorry Cheryl - good luck with the appeals!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:52 pm »
Well that stinks. My suggestion is to start asking around and find out if there is a social security issue lawyer in your area who would take your case pro bono or at a reduced rate.

Best wishes,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »
Yeah, it's hard to get Disability for an AN.  Just ask Cap' Deb!  It's nuts.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
LADavid managed the feat. You might PM him for tips.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
Sorry to hear this news, Cheryl.

As Sue mentioned others, like Capt. Deb, have had a hard time getting disability - but she eventually did.

So keep up the good fight.

We're cheering for you!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:14:27 pm »
Well that stinks. My suggestion is to start asking around and find out if there is a social security issue lawyer in your area who would take your case pro bono or at a reduced rate.

Cheryl,

My thoughts exactly.  The IRS is very good at taking our money and the Social Security system and some politicians are very good at handing it out to people who have no right to it, but when someone like you comes along who really needs and deserves the disability benefits they are entitled to, they tend to give you a hard time.  I hope you are successful in your appeal.  Somtimes it takes help from an attorney who specializes in this field to get them to see it your way.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:49:14 pm »
Cheryl
PM me.  I need to know more.   I might have some suggestions.  I got my disability on first pass in three months.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:53 am »
Cheryl,
It took me over three years and three trys to get Social Security Disability.  I finally got it just weeks before my hearing.  Don't give up, that's what they are hoping for. I hired an attorney and he said the same thing to them in letters that I did but far more eloquently.  I think it depends on what your jobs were prior to the surgery and what part you can't do.  The being out on icy roads won't count for anything.  Weather doesn't figure into whether or not you can preform a job......................plus we had snow and ice this past year here in the good old Southwest!
I am keeping you in my prayers.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

LisaP

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 05:19:13 am »
Cheryl,

Good luck, don't give up, it took a friend of mine three times to get disability due to his mental illness.

Best wishes,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
Cheryl ~

I'm so sorry to learn that your claim for disability benefits has been rejected by the Social Security administration.  Unfortunately, I believe they tend to turn down the majority of original claims, unless you're very fortunate, like our own Social Security maven, LADavid.  I know you won't give up and I believe you'll be successful - but you have to remain tenacious.  It isn't easy.

My wife went through the Social Security Disability grinder back in 1996-97.  She suffered from serious spinal problems, Crohn's disease and fibromyalgia.  She had reams of physicians statement attesting to her inability to work (she had a supervisory position at a major insurance company in Hartford) but she was turned down, twice.  She finally engaged an attorney who specialized in Social Security claims.  It took over a year but my deserving wife was finally victorious in her quest and was 'awarded' disability status and a monthly benefit from the bureaucracy she'd been paying into for over 25 years.  I trust you'll have even greater success and in a much shorter timeframe.  Don't give up!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:14 pm »
Cheryl,

I know this is frustrating as all heck..... but, as you have also witnessed, LADavid and Capt Deb and others here, with perserverence (did I spell that write? ;) ) were able to achieve, even in appeal processes! Go get 'em! Keeping my fingers crossed that is comes through.

Please hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GARZAP

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »
Cheryl,   I don't work for Social Security Admin, but I do work for DHS (Welfare) we make people apply for soc sec as a condition of eligibility.  Allmost everyone is denied the first time.  You need to appeal.   
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

cin605

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »
I got approved this month,i applied in Oct. .I am confident you wiil get what you need.I also hear they usually deny the first time.
I actually got approved through determination services it got sent out & picked for review sent back to determination services who had to prove to the review board my case all over again in march.
If i can help you w/ any info pm me.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old