Author Topic: Waht are vestibular exercises?  (Read 1900 times)

mlouise073

Waht are vestibular exercises?
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:13:49 pm »
Can anyone explain to me what vestibular exercises are?
Thanks!
Mary
8mm by 13mm located in left cerebellopontine angle extending into internal auditory canal growing toward brainstem. Surgery in March 07 with Dr. David M. Kaylie at Baptist Hospital in Nashville

cin605

Re: Waht are vestibular exercises?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »
These are exercises designed to improve your vestubular.One is focusing on fixed object on wall & turning your head side to side while keeping you eye on object & walking toward it.
ther are lots i am sure others will chime in in them.
Walking outside up n down grassy area is one.
Any thing that chalenges your balance,Just be careful & do not over do or you may pay. :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:10:10 pm »
Hi Mary .....

You might be able to talk with your primary care physician or ENT and have him/her prescribe professional vestibular therapy.  I did "vestibular" therapy through a physical therapist but it was not until I started with a trained vestibular therapist that I saw any real progress.  Because of my surgeries on both sides, I do not have any vestibular function ..... thus, the therapist has worked with me on building up my vision/gaze stabilization and muscle strength.  I was seeing real progress until this vertigo hit.  (How can one have vertigo with no vestibular function????? ..... maybe some on my non-AN side is kicking in????)

My insurance will pay for the specialized therapy so it is worth exploring if you have someone in the area.  I have had to drive 50 miles to my therapist once a week but it is worth it.  He put me on a home regimen (many different exercises) to do in between sessions and testing with him.

Let me know if you want more specifics.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:59 pm »
Hi, Mary -

vestibular exercises are basically "exercises" that help with your balance, focus, and eye coordination. 

Cin gave you some good examples. 

My neurotologist gave me a list of vestibular exercises to do during my recovery.  He actually had me start doing them before my surgery because he said that would make them easier to do post op.  He was right.

I think the vestibular exercises really helped me.  Post op I had the option of doing them on my own or being referred to a PT.  I chose to continue them on my own and as a result never needed a PT.

I still have a copy of the exercises and wouldn't mind passing it on to you if you'd like.  If you are interested, just PM me your address.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways