Author Topic: This Week (5/17) in the Rumbustious World of the AN  (Read 8713 times)

LADavid

This Week (5/17) in the Rumbustious World of the AN
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:56 pm »
I found a bit more time this week. 

First I want to mention something.  Several of you suggested that Steve make me a hat.  He did.  It was Black and Gold in honor of the Steelers -- my fav team. I was planning to wear it during the upcoming season. He sent it with a return delivery notification.  It was indeed delivered. And today, I would love to wear it for all to see.  Unfortunately, on the day it was delivered, I came home to find my mailbox door standing open.  I didn't know it at the time, but the package had been taken.  There are several of my neighbors who are unaware that it is a Federal crime to tamper with mail -- in fact they are generally unaware of any law.  I won't say anything more except to say that it has been reported to the post office ( who won't do anything) and to say thank you to Steve for being a great guy and trying to do something that I truly appreciate.

Off the soapbox, Dave.

Monday, it's Victoria Day in Canada.  Enjoy May Two-Four and long live the Queen.

A bit farther south, Ernie (EJTampa) is having a 2 month follow-up.  As fast as you got out of the hospital, I'm sure you'll be just fine, Ernie.  Best wishes.

Also on Monday, Melissa (Melissa778) from Ohio is having an annual visit to the T o' G.  With all that you have been dealing with this should be a breeze.  May your scan be unremarkable, Melissa.  (Busy week for you).

On Tuesday, Alicia is having a Translab at House.  Best wishes, Alicia.  I'll see you on Monday to tell you in person.

And on Tuesday, Marci is having a 10 month follow up hearing test.  I lost track of things -- has your hearing been coming back?  Hopefully you get positive results.

Then on Wednesday, Carolyn (heyct) is having a Translab at Stanford.  I remember you doing your homework on this decision.  May you have a very successful surgery.

And, in doubleheader week, Melissa is having surgery to "clear out the sinus gunk."  Gauze in the ear, gunk in the sinus.  Hopefully this is the end of this stuff for you Melissa.

And finally on Wednesday, Helene (catlover) from Sweden is having a Retro Sig.  Lycka till, Helene.

Last up for the week, Ann (keeping up) is having a six month postie encounter with the TOG.  As always, may the experience be as comfortable as possible and the results unremarkable.

Have a great week everyone.

David

Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

Re: This Week (5/17) in the Rumbustious World of the AN
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:35:32 pm »
David~
Once again, a great summation and greatly appreciated by those of us who live by your updates!!  :D  That STINKS about the hat - I can't even believe it!!

Good luck & prayers to all!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:44:42 pm »
Best of luck to all of those having surgery, followup appts., and encounters with the Tube of Gloom. 

You'll be in my prayers.

I love the adjective this week, David, but I confess I'm waiting for Jim Scott to give me the definition  ::)

That really sucks about your hat.  I can come up with a lot of adjectives to describe this situation, but I'm confident Phyl would censor me.

I'm sure if he can think of a more secure way to mail you one, Steve will graciously knit you another. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:50:51 pm »
Best wishes to all this week, you'll all me in my thoughts for great results.  Ernie, has it already been 2 months??

David, I'm sorry to hear about your hat, that really stinks.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 12:00:41 am »
Last up for the week, Ann (keeping up) is having a six month postie encounter with the TOG.

Minor correction: Ann (KeepingUp) is watch and wait, the calendar entry says 6 months post dx MRI, meaning post diagnosis, not treatment. I blame the error on the boisterous and unruly nature of ANs.  ;)

Alicia, Carolyn, Melissa, Helene, very best wishes for you surgeries. Clean MRIs and tests for the rest.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 04:43:16 am »
All,
My hearing hasn't left yet.  The test is to confirm that it is still here and to determine whether it has deteriorated since my 3-month follow-up.  Here's hoping I continue to beat the odds!  (David, I can't believe that about your hat, I'm so sorry.)
Good luck and best wishes to everyone else this week.
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:15:38 am »
Wow, Alicia's date came up fast -- her week of vacation is already almost over and it'll be dr. appointments tomorrow! Go Alicia!!  :)
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:11:58 am »
thanks guys.  we've had a great time so far.  trying to decide what to do today!   :)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »
First - real bummer about the hat, David.  Maybe sometime this winter you will notice a neighbor sporting a Steve Original.

Prayers and well wishes going out to Alicia, Carolyn and Helene for successful surgeris and quick recoveries!

Prayers also for Melissa's sinus surgery.

Good luck to Melissa and Ann as they brave the ToG!  Prayers going out for great results!

And also well wishes and prayers for Marci's hearing test.  I hope it's still stable!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:44:24 pm »
May this be a good week for procedures and examinations!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »
Thanks everyone

Have to say, I am so so so excited about this Thursday.  But, more importantly, huge thanks to everyone on this site who patiently responds to all the queries.  I remember when I first posted here way way back in November pre-diagnosis, terrified at what the ENT was talking suggesting could be the cause of the mild hearing loss.  I had my bumps along the road in those early days as every particular thing could be blamed on the AN but only to realize that while the symptoms were mild, it was the anxiety that was causing more havoc than my little tumor ever could.  I may be a bit smug at times - suggesting this sucker isn't going to grow (positive thinking) - and hopefully, it hasn't.

However, if it has or if the ENT or neurosurgeon suggest a different approach - I am comfortable with my knowledge base and almost all of that knowledge has been learned here.

I do hope I am that young(ish) IAC tumor person who can wait, wait and wait and won't show growth or meaningful symptoms (hearing loss ain't included) for many years.  But, I may not be - and Thursday morning at 6AM wll at least provide info on the next steps.

So thanks again - to a wonderful, awesome and spring-like week.

LIfe is good.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
David:

My sympathy for the stolen chapeau - a Steve original, no less!  I suspect that you need to move to a better neighborhood - but LA is pricey.  We lived in a very affordable furnished apartment in downscale North Hollywood, back  in the 1970's.  When we went back to L.A. for a visit 20 years later, it had big fences and all kinds of obvious security stuff around it.  I doubt I would want to live there, now.  Unfortunately, it seems as if California, especially the Los Angeles area, has become difficult to live in these days unless you're a millionaire.  Much like Manhattan became a long time ago.  Frankly, with high taxes and a high cost of living, Connecticut isn't that much better.  My single, adult son (29) is fleeing to Houston, Texas, next year if he can secure a job there.  He has friends in Houston that are doing very well.  I've encouraged him to go. 

My hopes and prayers for Alicia's surgery on Tuesday, Carolyn's, Melissa's and our Swedish friend, Helene's, on Wednesday.

May Mellisa's MRI and Ernie's 60-day follow-up on Monday go well for each, respectively.

I trust that Marci's hearing will show improvement on her Tuesday test and that Ann's MRI is boringly uneventful.

Happy Victoria Day to our Canadian friends - enjoy the holiday.   :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 04:40:50 pm »
I wish everyone well with all the tests and procedures this week. And many prayers for those in surgery (quite a few this week). And that Helene's cat will be ok in Mats care.

I too am sorry about David's Steelers hat.

May our week be rumbustious, whatever that is. Sounds interesting though, never dull or boring.

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »
Jim  -

you forgot my definition of rumbustious  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
you forgot my definition of rumbustious

Try Google. Or see my earlier post in this thread for a hint. ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.