Author Topic: Member Update Forum?  (Read 2631 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Member Update Forum?
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:00 am »
I wonder if the forum gods have enough power to make a new category?  It's be nice to have all the surgery updates in one place.  Many of us post into those same threads for over a month after surgery.  What do ya think mods?  Can we do that?

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

Member Update Forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »
It'd be nice to have all the surgery updates in one place. 

Funny you mention that, Ernie. The mods have been discussing something along the same lines. We can't actually create forum sections, but we can present a request to the  administrators. One possibility is to convert the "Post Treatment" section into a patient update section, by redirecting people there, and moving topics there when needed.

I like the idea of creating a new "Member Updates" category, and having everyone create one topic there, running from initial diagnosis to post treatment, and whatever other news about their life they feel like sharing. Nancy McDonald's topic (Spa and Facelift) is a good example. It is a thread that doesn't fit anywhere perfectly, but doesn't belong in the grab bag of AN Community either, since it is mostly about her AN surgery.

We should probably start a new topic to continue this discussion. Not sure what category to put it in, though. :)

Steve

As you can see, I decided AN Community would work. :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:05:34 pm by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Member Update Forum?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:41:41 pm »
Wait, let me check my forehead . . . did I just get a gold star?   ;D ;D ;D
I'm more used to getting my hand slapped.  :-[
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

Member Update Forum?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »
I agree with Steve, Nancy, whoever else... surgery updates in one place. Some are in commnity, some in post surgery, etc. And it would be nice to have profiles of people (maybe there are, I just don't know where). I get some people mixed up, esp when they have the same name or similar names. For a while, I was getting 'catlover' and 'doglover' mixed up (sorry.... )
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

largecat

Member Update Forum?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »
A bit OT - but I think it is a good idea to have "my progress", my recovery" or "my surgery" threads. The other sectiones are useful for questions, advice, general, technical or medical discussions about just one subject. Having a individual thread, about just my status, my worries, my thoughts and my surgery must be a good idea. Must be easier for others to follow the history too. I think you already have threads like that - but in various places here on the forum. But, I should not tell what you should do - I'm just a temporary ghost writer..

Helene sends her greetings, she is sitting beside me here on our veranda having dinner as the day light slowly fades away. She is in a good mood, seems like she's got things under control. My homemade barbecue hamburgers and oven baked potato cloves probably helps... :) You guys take care of her tomorrow? I go for a daytrip to Stockholm.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:01:35 pm by largecat »
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Member Update Forum?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:11:35 pm »
Helene sends her greetings, she is sitting beside me here on our veranda having dinner as the day light slowly fades away. She is in a good mood, seems like she's got things under control. My homemade barbecue hamburgers and oven baked potato cloves probably helps... :) You guys take care of her tomorrow? I go for a daytrip to Stockholm.

We'll all be right over for your BBQ hamburgers and baked potato cloves:-)  I am glad to hear that she is doing well and her mood is good.
Thank you for updating us and have a productive daytrip to Stockholm.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Keri

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »
but aren't you the hubby that could only cook grilled cheese?? no i guess that was someone else.

Even though I said 'the AN discussion forum should have this category and that category', i don't want to be critical. This forum is organized amazingly well, with nice little 'extras' like seeing what time of day you post, who else is on, what the last posts are, etc. there's a lot of cool and helpful things on here.

But I do like this Member update forum thing. Do we all use it or just the new posties or those in surgery?

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »
I'm more used to getting my hand slapped.  :-[

Is that why you keep changing your user name ??  ;)  :D

I like the idea of a patient update section.  Sometimes it hard to locate updates on someone who just had surgery or radiation; sometimes there are multiple posts in multiple sections.  Having one place we could all go to read updates would be great.

BTW, nice profile pic Mats.  I like to be able to put a face with a name.  Helene didn't mention you could cook; it's not one of the skills I possess.  Just ask my children  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
I love this idea. I have followed the Nancy model of keeping things in one place, hoping to help future readers -- it is so time-consuming trying to back-read everyone's details across threads -- so I will continue to post my updates on Lilan's Hot Date even after surgery.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:25:54 am »
It is one of the reasons the "Post Treatment" forum was created... so newbies can check there to see how folks are doing post-treatment. Possible renaming of the forum is being discussed (as Steve noted, its being discussed and it is not our decision -- as Mods -- to make the change.....)

I would suggest that all post-treatment discussions go in the "Post Treatment" forum and we're monitoring things to see how things go. We can suggest to the "powers that be" and they are always open to suggestions about the forums (within reason).

Hope this helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:05:50 am »
Has there been any news on Ron (RES)?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:41:06 am »
Good question, Nancy.

I haven't seen any news on Ron, but I'm thinking he said he wouldn't have anyone updating us.

I could be wrong though; with so many having surgery lately I tend to get mixed up.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways