Author Topic: SCARY!  (Read 4752 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
SCARY!
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:09:29 pm »
I sweet talked the MRI Tech into giving me my MRI films on CD from last year.  THIS is why my doctor was so concerned last year and wanted to act quickly.  See if you can pick out the tumor. ;)

Btw, had my doctor appointment today.  Will create another post to give details.  I'm still at work and need to get home, so not now.  Just wanted to share the photo.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

Re: SCARY!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »
Gee, I'm not sure if I can find it!!

WOW!!

Anxious to hear "the rest of the story..."
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »
Is that a tumor in your head or are you just glad to see me?

Wow, that's an impressive knot of tissue you have/had there.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:11 pm »
Holy mackerel.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:33 pm »
So, Pooter, what's the tumor and what's the old gray matter?

just kidding.

My radiologist told me I had a pretty brain. I was just glad for proof I have one.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05:25 pm »
You don't need 20/20 vision to see your tumor!

I can't wait to see your latest MRI Brian.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »
Okay, pretty impressive MRI picture from last year, eh?  I definitely count myself lucky after seeing those pictures.  My surgeons were PHENOMINAL!

Now, an update after my doctor visit today..

Overall, fairly uneventful.  A few stand outs, though.  One, he noted that on my MRI from this year, there's a cyst growing in the same place where the tumor was.  Currently, it measures smaller than the tumor.  He said that likely nothing would have to be done about it, however we'll watch it to be sure it doesn't grow or causes any problems.  I go back for another MRI and appointment this time next year.

I asked specifically about my sinuses being pretty clogged on one side but not the other and he said that it was likely due to sinusitis or a sinus infection beginning to form.  My MRI was within a week or so of when I thought I had a sinus infection starting, but then went away.  The MRI showed that it hasn't gone away.  So, I plan on hitting my regular doctor up for the steroid nasal spray or something to kick the sinusitis.

Another key highlight was that we started talking about BAHA and TransEar (and Cros Aids)..  He then asked me if I wanted to try the demo of the BAHA they had.  Of course, I said yes.  To my surprise, he told me to walk around the hospital, go down the cafeteria for lunch and give it a good try before bringing it back.  Jenni and I walked down to the cafeteria to have lunch.  It was an Intenso processor, btw.  I wasn't really convinced that it was helping or that it was really even working, but then I covered my "good" ear making myself now completely deaf.  To my surprise, I could hear!  I could hear the conversation at the table, conversations at other tables, background noise, etc..  I also let Jenni try it so she could see what I deal with although she covered both ears to hear it.  She said she could very plainly hear two women talking behind her and when she took it off to her "normal" hearing, she could no longer hear what they were saying.  It really impressed me!

Now, the TransEar works off the same technology, so now it's down to how it looks.  As most of you know, I keep my hair buzzed pretty close most of the time.  So, I'm leaning (still) towards the TransEar, however insurance should cover it better with BAHA.  So, I'll take some time to think about it and talk to Jenni about it and then decide.  Today's demo really showed me that I'd benefit from having one of the two so I'm just about convinced that I want one, but I have to decide on which one.

Overall, a good appointment.  I came away from it very enthused and positive.

Regards,

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:25:20 pm »
Brian,

Thanks for updating us.

It is good that you requested a disk of the MRI image. One of the things I do each year is get a copy of the written report as well. The hospital medical records department can facilitate that for you. 

Did he give you the general impression relative to the size of the cyst?

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »
You don't need 20/20 vision to see your tumor!

I can't wait to see your latest MRI Brian.

Kate

Here's almost exact same picture about a year after surgery.  You can see the area where the tumor was (where the cyst is) but it's a remarkable difference.  See here:

Kate, on this CD I have both sets of MRI scans and reports from each.  He didn't specifically tell me the size of the cyst, only "smaller than the tumor was", but knowing how to read the report for at least that much, I can tell you that it measures 3.4 X 1.3 cm.  Incidentally, at the time of the original MRI, the tumor was 2.9 X 2.5 X 2.0 cm (according to the report by the radiologist).  I forgot to ask the doctor for a copy of the surgery report, but I have to email him about something else, so I'll ask him about that too.

Fascinating stuff!

Regards,

Brian

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »
Makes me want to yell FOUR! You sure you didn't walk across a driving range on the way to your MRI?
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:19:34 pm »
What a difference Brian!  It is so surreal to see our brains in film:-)

Your doctor doesn't seem worried about the cyst. It seems to have grown to 3 cm rather quickly. Just curious, did the doctor indicate why that might have happened?
Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
You are right that he didn't seem concerned about it. He didn't indicate a possible cause other than CSF filling in the void where the tumor was. I'm not going to worry about it either unless it starts causing symptoms or starts growing. I can't live my life worrying about something that will likely not be a problem.

The definite highlight was the BAHA demo experiment by far.

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 05:34:05 am »
Pooter -

glad you liked the BAHA demo.  IMO it's truly impressive.  If you decide to move in that direction and have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Congrats on the clean MRI results.  The cyst sounds like something to monitor, but not a major problem.  I think your idea of not worrying about it, unless it proves to be problematic, is the right attitude to have.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:30 am »
I saw a golf ball... and then I saw nuttin'...... me thinks me eyes are playin' tricks on me! 

*runs off to optomotrist to have glasses prescription checked* ;)

(congrats my Pooter for having nuttin' up there!)  :-*  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

texsooner

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:31:27 am »
Brian, congrats on the good report from the doctor. I think the MRI shots are cool. My first one looked a lot like yours....I always referred to it as the golf ball in my head.

I was also not that much interested in the BAHA, but since you liked it so much, I might also give the demo a shot at my next visit.

Thanks for the update.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.