Author Topic: Facial numbness recovery question  (Read 3654 times)

Pembo

Facial numbness recovery question
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:33:07 pm »
My surgery was 5 years ago. I have facial paralysis and numbness that is improving every day. Lately I've noticed that my mouth/face feels different (swollen maybe?) I dont' know how to describe it, when I eat certain foods. I thought I was having allergic reactions but it is happening with lots of foods and it only feels different, it doesn't look different.

Any opinions out there on this? Do you think it is a sign of more recovery? After 5 years I still say that facial numbness is my most irritating symptom. If only my mouth felt normal........I could forget about some of the other stuff....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Pembo

Re: Facial numbness recovery question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »
12 views and no opinions?! I count on this board to have opinions. :) ;D
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:17:05 pm »
Sorry to leave you feeling ignored ..... it's just that I have no idea if others have experienced this or not ..... I did not have facial paralysis so I cannot speak from firsthand experience.  There is a thread running around recently about acupuncture to help and someone mentioned feeling twitching in his face as a result, several years post-op.  That may or may not be related to what you are experiencing.  As always, if it persists you should check with your doctor ..... since it is a new development.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:11:00 pm »
Hi there,

I am  going to be another view of your post without much help.

From your post, it sounds like you are getting new sensations.  It seems odd that it would be five years later, but honestly I don't have any knowledge that would help you out.

After the long weekend, it might be worth a call to the doctor to ask the question.

Kindest regards,
Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »
Hi Pembo,

I actually do have facial numbness, along with the paralysis.  I understand how annoying it is.  I'm tired of wearing food.  It's a running joke in my family that I'm saving it for later.  lol  I had surgery over 3 1/2 years ago.  I'm still getting strange sensations in my face.  Most of them seem related to movement, but I also get this all over tingling and I think that is related to the numbness.  It seems like my lips are beginning to feel more, but it's so subtle that it's hard to tell.  I can feel "harder" touches near my lips and chin and cheek.  The area around my nose and forehead have the least sensaation.  Hope all this babbling helps some.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

heidi g

• adventures of addy, amelia, & griswold
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »
well, my surgery was just 14 days ago & i have numbness w/o paralysis. when my face is getting less numb (it comes & goes) my mouth feels swollen when it really isn't swollen, it's just the ability to feel more. (i hope that made sense). i would agree that it sounds like you're having more sensation & i hope that's true!
-heidi
surgery performed on july 28, 2009 at the Ohio State University Medical Center by Dr. B. Welling & Dr. McGregor.
As of 8/10/09, left side numbness (comes & goes), lost maybe partial hearing in AN ear, LOUD tinnitus, but walking & balance is going very well.

epodjn

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
I know what you are saying. I have the same thing but I'm not that far out, only 8 months. I'm tired of the tingling/swollen feeling. I have to look in the mirror to remind myself that I don' t look like I feel. Sometimes I feel like my face is hard. When I feel it, it feels normal. I know this is no help at all. But know that you are not alone.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!