Author Topic: Surgery Decision  (Read 3410 times)

nycnewbie

Surgery Decision
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »
After having 2 hospitals tell me middle fossa and the other 2 tell me retrosigmoid, I believe I am gonna go with Selesnick and Stieg at Cornell. Though, I know there is more risk in visualizing a tumor in the IAC, I have to believe that they would not recommend this approach for me if they did not believe they could get it fully out. It is more of a chance on the hearing preservation, but I have to believe that my these two doctors are top in their fields and have done hundreds of surgeries and will  do the best they can with the approach they know best.
Wish me luck, everyone. July 2.
Serena

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Surgery Decision
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:16 pm »
Good luck, Serena.  I hope you'll be pleased with your decision.  It seems as though everyone on this site believes his/her surgeons are the best in the world.  I'm sure you will, too.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:09:55 pm »
Serena,

Congratulations on reaching a decision.  In my opinion, it is the hardest part of the AN journey.  Since your tumor is small, your chances for hearing preservation are decent.  I have to agree with  Nancy, everyone does believe their surgeons are the best and that's the way you should feel, so I'm glad your comfortable as you can be with your decision.  Don't second guess yourself between now and July 2, you can make yourself crazy.  Keep us posted on how you are doing between now and then.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nycnewbie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:37:32 pm »
Wendy,
Thank you for this! I don't know if mine are the best...but I believe they perform the retrosigmoid well.
Serena

Darlene

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:29:32 am »
Serena,

Congratulations on a decision!  I know we will both have successful surgeries me on the 1st you on the 2nd.   I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. 

Take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:25:55 pm »
Serena .....

So glad you have made a decision for your treatment.  Many of us will agree that one of the most difficult aspects to the AN journey is making the decision on type and place of treatment.  Now that you have made your decision, try to relax as you await the date ..... knowing you did your homework and be at peace with your decision.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »
Serena ~

We often say that once a treatment decision has been arrived at, the hardest part is over.  Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but still basically valid.  Congratulations on making your surgery choice and of course, the best of luck to you as you go forth.  Please continue to keep us apprised of your progress.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dawn

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:59 pm »
Serena,

Congrats on your decision...I also felt very comfortable with Dr. Selesnick and Dr. Steig.  I was going to have Mid Fossa with them but then was told to wait on the surgery so please keep me posted on your progress as I too may be with Dr. Steig for my Chiari surgery.

good luck!!
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

jtd71465

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:02:39 pm »
Best of luck...the hard part is over.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »
congratulations on making your decision, which should hopefully be an elephant off your back..... and now time to focus on the treatment and wellness.  Decision making for AN's, to me, is one of the hardest parts of this "journey"......

wellness wishes to you,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »
Congratulations on your decision, Serena.

As others have said, one of the hardest parts is now over  :)

I think you made a good choice and that you selected very good doctors.  I'm confident things will turn out well for you.

We'll be rooting for you!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:24 pm »
Hey Serena, just wanted to wish you the best on your surgery decision. I also decided on the retrosiggmoid style, and am taking the plunge one day ahead of you, on July 1st! I hope you have some time before the big day to relax and do some fun stuff. - Darin
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:09 pm »
I, too, believe making a dicision is one ot the hardest parts of this journey.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cjtender

• My blog
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:45:03 pm »
Congrats on your choice....I really liked Selesnick...he has been there for me since the beginning...I do not have any type of side effect except for hearing loss..but I didnt hear much before the surgery...good luck to you
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »
After having 2 hospitals tell me middle fossa and the other 2 tell me retrosigmoid, I believe I am gonna go with Selesnick and Stieg at Cornell. Though, I know there is more risk in visualizing a tumor in the IAC, I have to believe that they would not recommend this approach for me if they did not believe they could get it fully out. It is more of a chance on the hearing preservation, but I have to believe that my these two doctors are top in their fields and have done hundreds of surgeries and will  do the best they can with the approach they know best.
Wish me luck, everyone. July 2.
Serena

Serena,
Here's hoping all is well after your surgery on July 2.

Kate
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:03:31 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/