Author Topic: Lifting heavy objects?  (Read 4565 times)

ghenier27

Lifting heavy objects?
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:12:23 am »
Hi everyone. This is going to sound pretty silly but here it goes. As most know on this board, I have a adult disabled daughter that I lift ( 125 pounds) -maybe as much as 5-6 times a day. I can even walk carrying that much weight!  I am curious if there was anyone who maybe lifted weights before maybe knowing they had the AN? And after recovery were they able to go back to weight lifting?  Debi

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Lifting heavy objects?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:06:26 am »
I'm lifting all the heavy objects that I used to lift pre-op.  No worries.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:11:12 am »
Hi ghenier27,
  This is a good guestion for your treatment team doctors.  If your AN is treated surgically, there is a period post-op when you're not supposed to lift things.  They will somtimes suggest stool softners during recovery.  They don't want you to strain and potentially cause a spinal fluid leak while things are healing.  But after the healing period, most if not all patients have no restrictions.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:20:06 am »
Debi,
I did weight training up until two days before surgery, but my Dr. told me that after surgery I should wait at least 3 months before I start weight training again.  Two months after surgery he told me I could start again but to start slowly with lighter weights and work  up to where I was.  I am know bench pressing 30 lbs more than before surgery 20 months ago.  Like Rob said though it is best to ask your Dr, and I'm sure you have read it here 100 times, everyone is a little different. 

Dan in Germany

US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:04 pm »
Debi ~

If you undergo surgery, you'll have an incision that needs to heal and heavy lifting will be prohibited for some time.  I seriously doubt you'll be cleared to lift your 125 pound daughter for quite a few months - but I could be wrong.  Don't guess - this is a question for your doctor.  I suggest you ask him.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OTO

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »
Right after surgery they don't want you to lift anything over 10 lbs.   They don't want your intra-cranial pressure to get too high and cause a CSF leak.    Somewhere in the archives is a post from someone who was very active in weight lifting.  They got a CSF leak a long time after surgery (I think it was 6 mos or longer).   So you definitely need to discuss this with your surgeons.

ghenier27

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »
Hello, I asked this question to the doctors yesturday. They said that once the healing was done, that I was good to go with the lifting. My doctor said "Why would you have a problem lifting?" "You don't lifted with your brain?" Hummm.... I am just happy that I resolved this issue for me.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:57:26 am »
Good to here but take it easy the first few weeks-months.  You will need a little  bit of time to recover and biuld back up to lifting 125lbs.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany