Author Topic: this week (6/28) in the roller coaster ride of AN  (Read 4357 times)

Keri

this week (6/28) in the roller coaster ride of AN
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:19:48 pm »
I know 'roller coaster' isn't one of those adjectives that make us scratch our head and say, 'cool word... wonder what it means' but I thought it appropriate for this week.
There was a whole thread devoted to roller coaster riding and how it feels with the wonky headedness. Some concluded  (see migoi  / tim's thread) that it enhances the experience! I'm too scared of roller coasters so I can only imagine.

Roller coaster has applied to my life this week for a few different reasons.  I don't want to get into it now - the ride is still up (or maybe down) and I'll know more tomorrow (it's nothing tragic or an emergency or anything).

So for this week we have....
Tuesday:
Ryan, Mike's son will have BAHA surgery. We wish you well, Ryan, and hope it's fairly painless and that you have a good recovery and that the BAHA works out well for you. Keep us posted on the process of the various stages.

Wednesday:
Darin will have mid fossa at NYU. Darin, we hope all goes well and you'll be on the road to a good recovery very soon. Thanks for sharing and being an encouragement to some of the other newbies on the forum who are in the looking for answers stage. We hope and pray you'll be back to your active lifestyle soon!

Lupy will have retro in Melbourne, Australia. Lupy, it is sad to know about the delays you've had with your surgery and the quarantine and all that. I hope that you're able to go through with everything Wednesday (what's the time difference there?)  I had wondered about you because I hadn't seen posts in a while, and we're so glad you've come back to share what's up with you.

I pray that you both will have peace and successful surgeries with no complications.  I hope that you can find someone to update for you so we'll know how it went. See you as a postie!

Wednesday is also Canada Day. I know several forumites are Canadian. Tell us about how you celebrate. Happy Canada Day!

Saturday is the 4th of July. Wow, July already! Happy 4th of July everyone. Let's hear about your celebrations as well.

There are many recovering from surgery from last week. Some have their own recovery threads and Patty has updates on 'thestatus.'  We wish you all continued recovery with encouraging improvements everyday.

Have a great roller coaster week. If you're really riding them, have fun. If your life is just up and down, may you have more ups than downs!

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
Re: this week (6/28) in the roller coaster ride of AN
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32:08 pm »
Ryan, Darin, Darlene, and Lupy you will be in our thoughts and prayers this week for successful surgeries, and speedy recoveries, (I believe Darin and Darlene’s calendar posts are separate).

Thank you Keri for this week’s review, and we hope you feel better.  Also good luck to your son on Boot Camp, he’ll be fine “Momâ€? ;D  Hope the ride is over soon for you :)

Have a safe and HAPPY 4 th of July everyone,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:06:27 pm »
Good luck, Ryan, Darin & Lupy!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:52:54 am »
Keri,

thanks SO much for letting us know this week's activities... and sending wellness wishes to all those having procedures this week... and sending happy and safe holiday wishes to all those "north of the border" and for all those Stateside.  Trying to get my bloke to recognize  Independence Day, here in the States, is a whole different matter.....  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:05:10 am »
Best wishes to Darin, Lupy and Ryan.  I hope someone will be posting for you and let us know how you are.  I hope your surgeries are successful and without complications.

Prayers to all,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Darlene

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:50:46 am »
Rich,
Thank you for your well wishes, I greatly appreciate them.
You are right, Darin and I are seperate.  I don't know where Darin is having surgery but I wish him, Ryan and Lupy the very best this week as we count down to surgery and a quick recovery.   

Take care
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:36 pm »
Thanks, as always, Keri.

Prayers and good vibes going out to all of our prospective surgery patients.  A Happy Fourth of July celebration for Americans and a pleasant Canada Day ('Dominion Day')for the many Canadians among our members.  For those planning roller coaster rides this week - keep your hands on the safety bar!  ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:15:14 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:35:43 pm »
Wow I havent heard anyone in a long time call 'Canada Day' Dominion day....
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »
Best wishes all.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:30 pm »
Dominion Day sounds like something Darth Vader would celebrate...

Best wishes to Ryan, Darin, Darlene, and Lupy. Get well soon!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:48 pm »
It was Dominion Day when I was a kid.  I still have to stop myself and remember that it is no longer Dominion Day it is Canada Day.  A gathering with friends, BBQ, swimming if it doesn't rain and fire works to celebrate. 

July 2, I have a follow up to my MRI.  I have lots of questions from a full MRI report dated 12/30/06.  Something I believe was missed and I need an explanation.

Good news for my family, Sat July 4 my brother-in-law is getting married.  My father-in-law is just hanging on for this blessed event.  My sons are pretty happy too. 

Good luck to all this week.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:03:56 pm »
Anne Marie- my dominion sister, :)

Check your PM inbox…

DHM :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:50 am »
Keri, 
Thank you for another great update for the week!
Yes, roller coaster ride will sum it up for me, too.

All my thoughts and prayers to those having surgeries, procedures - Ryan, Darin, and Lupy.  Best wishes for an uneventful outcome and speedy recovery.
Anne Marie- good luck with the TOG and follow-up MRI.  Hope all your questions are answered.

Happy holidays, everyone!  I think we will make it thru the 4th without rain!   ;D
Stay safe.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Darlene

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:59:34 am »
Yardtick,

good luck with your MRI and I hope you get good answers to your questions.  Happy Canada Day! 

Also NYC Newbie (the original) has surgery schedueled for July 2, so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers also. 

Take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Keri

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:44 am »
I havne't been on the forum since I started this roller coaster subject a few nights ago. Darlene - I am SO SORRY that I looked and looked at the calendar over and over and didn't notice that your entry was different from Darin's! I was so tired when I did the weekly recap, I almost just said 'Hi Everyone - I'm too scattered to do this now - I'll post tomorrow' !

So, I'm sure most of you have noticed that Darin is not at NYU, that's Darlene! But they're both having surgery tomorrow.

Also, NYC Newbie is on for surgery on Thursday, July 2. Thank you Darlene, for adding bringing this to our attention. Sometimes people don't know about the calendar, or how to find it or how to post to it. It's great when others let us know what's happening so that no one gets left out.

4th of July this year, I'm going to brave the gazillions of people at the mall in Washington, DC and watch the fireworks from there (around the Washington Memorial). Havne't done that in years.

Happy week, everyone!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!