Author Topic: I have a screw loose  (Read 5840 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
I have a screw loose
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:33:42 pm »
Really.  I felt something moving around near my incision, went to the doctor and it seems there is a screw loose.  He didn't seem concerned, it isn't painful, just creepy.  Anyone have this????  It is a perfect description of my life right now...
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: I have a screw loose
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:43:54 pm »
A screw loose ?  Jeez Louise !  If the doc isn't worried,  I guess it's because it has no place to go ...   Is this the surgeon doc you spoke with ? ?
I've never heard of a screw coming loose - how did it get loose ? - how could it 'unscrew' inside your head ?  Do you still feel something moving ?
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:46:42 pm »
Hey Marci,

I had 3 screws loose  :P  Turns out I had an allergic reaction to the plate and 7 screws used to set my ankle when I broke it.  Everything was removed so I have no more excuses  ::)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »
I wonder if Marci's screws/plate will need to be removed like yours were Anne Marie....  I never heard of this but there you go, learn something new everyday !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
Whether or not you have a screw loose, Marci, we love you just the same, and are happy to see you back on the forum. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:32:39 am »
Hi all,
I will probably go to the other neurosurgeon who operated on me just to get his opinion.  I don't really want anyone to remove anything else from my head but whatever it is, it moves and clicks!  As I said, very creepy.  Have been having a hard time lately so haven't been around much.  Hope all is well and that the newbies are hanging in.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:41:58 am »
Oh my goodness, Marci!!!  Please let us know what your neurosurgeon says - I think that's a good thing you're seeking his opinion.  There is always something, isn't there?  I can't imagine how that must feel, but "creepy" sounds like a great word to use!!!   If you could see the outline of it, wouldn't that be great for halloween this year??????  I always try to find a way to laugh as I travel this AN road - humor has always been the best medicine for me.

I wish for you, as always, the very best - from one buckeye to another!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

cin605

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:28:56 am »
I think there was a "Thread" on this issue a while back n some one was going to someones house w/the screw driver to fix it.
I dunno it may have been a bad dream!
I typed it into the serch system came up w/ a few but not the one i was paticularly lookin for some body was goin to fix it in their garage.....
i am going to keep searchin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:37:08 am by cin605 »
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 10:49:14 am »
Hi, Marcy ~

Although it's good to see you back, I was a bit disturbed to read your post regarding having a loose screw in your skull.  I've read of this before and hoped it wouldn't happen to me.  So far, so good.  I can't imagine having a screw, no matter how tiny or physically non-threatening, moving around on my skull, under my skin.  As for your doctor's sanguine attitude about this development well, it's easy for him to be unconcerned!  Definitely creepy and unnerving, too.  I trust this can be resolved, soon - and without more surgery.  Let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 10:25:18 pm »
I think there was a "Thread" on this issue a while back n some one was going to someones house w/the screw driver to fix it.
I dunno it may have been a bad dream!
I typed it into the serch system came up w/ a few but not the one i was paticularly lookin for some body was goin to fix it in their garage.....
i am going to keep searchin

You may be thinking of a thread that Lori and I were posting on almost a year ago.  We have a running joke about a garage surgery business and I think at one point we brought tools - specifically a drill and a screwdriver - into the conversation.

I think it had something to do with my BAHA site interferring with one of the screws from my AN surgery.  My neurotologist said if the head of the screw were to ever pop through my skin, he'd just take a screw driver and remove it  :o

Rest assured; we aren't really doing any kind of surgical procedures in anyone's garage  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:59:22 am »
I have no plates or screws in my head from AN surgery....ENT said bone was replaced on opening and scalp put over it...nothing used in closing.....I find it strange that my ENT and neurosurgeon go greatly differs from everyone else....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:18:45 pm »
Marci, I've never heard of such a thing. I too would head to the neuro.

Sending good thoughts your way........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:20:44 pm »
Hey, Marci.
I'm really sorry to hear you're having a hard time lately.  Seriously, you were just back from summering in Italy successfully engineering an opera.  And then you ran a marathon or something. 
A very small incision, local anaesthetic, pop that baby outa there, don't you think?  See what the other surgeon says.  Extra percussion is not beneficial in the orchestra in your head.  Probably it would be find just left alone, but if it's annoying you, have it removed.
Wishing you the best,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
Marci,

Eew!  That is creepy!  I hope your predicament can be dealt w/expediently, and I also hope you are not in any pain from this.  Keep us posted as to what transpires. No one in our situation needs any more than the usual screws loose.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 06:53:55 pm »
Marci,

Sorry to hear about your loose screw and I hope the doc will take care of it soon.  I can see how it would be unnerving to say the least.  I noticed you said you're having other problems too.  Are they related to your surgery, and how can we help?

Sending positive vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!