Author Topic: This Qtr's ANA Newsletter -- Just arrived  (Read 6228 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
This Qtr's ANA Newsletter -- Just arrived
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:31:21 pm »
Hi all,
Went home for lunch and had my ANA newsletter in the post.  Great cover article, taken from the last symposium, about the emotional dealings when diagnosed with an AN.  It's quite an extensive article and will read it more carefully when I get home since I was only on brief lunch hour.  It did talk about the emotional dealings when first diagnosed and from then on. Very insightful from what I could see.

If anyone wants to read it and doesn't get the newsletter, let me know. I'm happy to scan it and email it to whomever. Worth the read.

Phyl

BTW, Raydean had a great "Letter to the Editor" as well about Social Security Disability.  A celebrity amongst us! :)  Also a terrific read!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

Re: This Qtr's ANA Newsletter -- Just arrived
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:48:36 pm »
Yes, I agree the article was good that you mentioned...one paragraph described a lot of the emotions I'm going through...was funny reading raydeans article as I didn't know it was her until the end and kept thinking..hey I've heard this  before...laughed when I realized why :o)  At least I had recognition..a lot of times I don't  LOL 

Raydean is our hero!  :-*

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:23:35 pm »
could i have a copy sent to me....
ksanders@cwholesale.com
thanks  ;)
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

Kristel Peterson

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:59:12 pm »
I would like a copy as well! Thanks so much! I look forward to reading it!
kristel.peterson@sendit.nodak.edu

Static

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:45:44 pm »
Hmmm.....I didin't get mine today.  Maybe tomorrow.  I do look forward to receiving those.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:26:59 pm »
I would like a copy also Thanks!
cookiesecond@msn.com

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:28:38 pm »
Me too, Static, but at first thought it might be because I'm a "best coast girl", otherwise known as the west coast.  So it may take a day or two longer to reach us from Atlanta.  But on the otherhand for the life of me I'm trying to remember when my annual dues are due and did I miss it?  Darn, I hate that!

Thank Goodness for Phyl to the rescue.  She's our girl!!!  

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:00:59 pm »
I agree the Newsletter is very helpful.  It is well worth the membership for anyone who isn't a member ofANA.  I wish I would have had the info BEFORE my An surgery! luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:13:09 pm »
Got my newsletter a few days ago.  I too, was tickled to see somebody I "knew" in the newlsetter. I was like, Hey...I know her!!  Way to go, Raydean.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:45:48 am »
Thank You for the kind remarks, but the truth is it  (the letter) could of been anyone one of us posting on this site.  In this case the letter that is in this issue of the ANA Notes  June Quarterly is taken from an earlier post of mine.  I was contacted and asked if it could be printed.  It could really be anyone of us.  So next quarter, who knows who's name we could see in print. Please note this is only done with the writers premission.

I am very grateful to Phyl for copying the Notes Newletter, but I also have to agree with luvs 2 teach
that it is well worth joining ANA National.  By joining, you automatically receive The ANA Quarterly Notes. Over the years they have provided us with some really useful information.  Articles have made me think, rethink llaugh, cry and mostly knowing that we're not alone in this journey.  National ANA does alot with your annual membership fees, including providing this forum, providing information to those newly diagnosed, (boy I remember making those phone calls)  aiding support groups.  I'm sure they help push for more research by listening to us and responding to their board members. ( By the way just reading the list of board members is impressive).  Anyway for those that can join it's a positive step to take on behalf of those who have helped so many people.

As soon as I receive my copy from Phyl, on the next to the back page should be a membership form,
I'm filling it out and sending my check in.  I'm pretty sure with as hectic as my life has been the past few months that I overlooked the mailing.

Best to all
Raydean

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:56:24 am by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 05:39:03 am »
Raydean,

Thank you so much for sharing that with us... and that is exactly why I joined the ANA Nat'l.  I experienced what the ANA offers us, including this website, leading up to my decision making process as well as making wonderful friends here that have supported me endlessly during my treatments and beyond. If it wasn't for the ANA, I honestly feel I couldn't have made as well an informed decision regarding my treatment as I was able to do.  I'm with you on that and in my case, have sent my membership dues to help keep this site going (or however they see fit to use my dues) in any small way I can.

Will do mass email today with scanned newsletter. Document will be in a .pdf format, which means we need to make sure you have Adobe Acrobat/Reader on your computer so you can open and read the document.  If you don't have Adobe Acrobat/Reader on your computer, here is the link to Adobes free downloads where you can download a free trial.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Please look for newsletter this afternoon.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mayfete

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:20 pm »
I've still a 'newbie', and am so grateful for the booklets, past newsletters, discussion forum, people willing to talk - just everything that ANAUSA provides.  After receiving the latest newsletter, my check's in the mail also.

I'm still pre-treatment (waiting a response on CK) and reading the cover article on emotional impact took several sessions to get through - just because it did stir up all those feelings I'm so good at suppressing.  I usually go into the 'business' mode, i.e. analyzing info.  I'm accustomed to advocating for others, not myself.  Reading the article encouraged me to face my feelings and to realize I need to address them as well as the tumor.

Raydean, thank you for suggesting the journal.  I don't have your particular issues, but with 'foggy' thinking, it helps me keep things straight and provides needed perspective on progress in decision-making.

The Voyages article "Learning to Turn a Deaf Ear" was helpful for me too.  I was aware of slight hearing problems and tinnitis, but I didn't think much of it.  Away from home, I went to bed one night normal and awoke changed.  I had severe vertigo, nausea, double vision.  During 4 days in the hospital they poked for heart problems and found the AN while looking for signs of a stroke.  Because the symptoms came on so suddenly, they diagnosed Acute Viral Labyrinthitis (and oh by the way, you have a small brain tumor - but don't worry about it) and sent me home.  The spinning is better, but the dizziness is constant.  Three months later, I'm convinced the whole episode was because of the AN.  Amy's description of sudden hearing loss confirmed that maybe I'm not crazy to think that.   

I also appreciated her encouragement to take responsibility for our own health.  After returning home, neither my primary physician nor ENT provided any information on ANs or treatments.  The ENT gave me the names of three local neurosurgeons.  None of his recommendations were on our local Gamma Knife team.  At the time I didn't even know there were such things as Gamma Knife or Cyberknife.  If it weren't for ANAUSA, the message boards and internet information, I wouldn't have even known there were options.  I've learned so much and have still have more to learn.  Many thanks.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
What a great article on coping!  The good shrink-doc neglected to mentiona few things that help us cope, so I thought I'd list them here.

1. Chocolate--not a WHOLE lot, and not cheap choclate--the good stuff. (Now you knew I was gonna say that dint ya! ;))
2. A turn at the helm of The Good Ship Princess Batty Wench--which everyone here gets just for the askin'

3. Something "spotted" or piratical (AAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!!!) or just plain silly :D

4. Gettin' to talk to Phyll every other day OR everyday if you want! ::)

;D ;D
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Carol Nannis

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 04:10:24 pm »
I got my newsletter the other day also.  The cover story was great especially for someone like me who has just been diagnosed.  It really made me feel all my feelings were valid.  There was also a "letter to the editor" from Labott who also posts on this forum.  It was about his experience with radiosurgery.
It was good also.
Carol

marjoryb

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 04:45:55 pm »
Would you send me a copy:  mbray@bna.com   Thanks