Author Topic: Disability  (Read 7834 times)

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
Disability
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:02 pm »
Right now i'm filing for disability... has anyone else gone through this?
Were you approved?... i want money so i can put payments on the new car want.... mmmmm honda civic lol
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Disability
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:37:15 pm »
Good luck with that, sweetie. Get a lawyer!  Mine was rejected and I guess most are on the first go around. It's very difficult to get it, I understand.  Since I'm 60 and 1/2 and heading into Social Security at warp speed, I decided to forget an appeal.  It's obvious I'm not disabled, although I don't feel I can return to what I did before...working in a retail environment.  If I had severe balance issues, then I would have continued with it, but I don't. I'll just putz along until I'm 62.  But if you feel you cannot work, then fight for it.  Really...get a lawyer.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:51:07 pm »
I filed for disability in 03..it took till 05 to get it.. I have a lot of other problems besides the AN on my left side..If you do file . get a lawyer right away.. If you are not married you can apply for ssi . they will send you a check till you either win or loose ..but you need a lawyer. and hav eto prove that you have a disability that keeps you from working at anything...any more ? email me good luck OH I am 54yrs old 1.2 x0.08 cm left side
I have mini strokes, and I am deaf..have problem with memory some times I loose a hole day.. for get to eat..but have a good husband...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 08:59:46 pm »
Taylor,
  There have been a few threads about this, do a search for Social Security on this forum.  Good luck.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

chrissmom

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:12:21 am »
Taylor,
Chris applied for both SSI and SSD.  We don't know anything yet.  Batty told us to try OVR too (Occupational Vocational Rehab), they help pay tuition and hearing aids etc. and help you to get back into the work force. We did that too.  Again, we don't know anything yet.  At the SS office, they seemed hopeful that Chris might get it because he is so young and brain tumor was such a serious disability.  We'll see.  Good luck.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:28:13 am »
Is filing for disability difficult?

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:19:15 am »
It's not the filing that's difficult, its the getting it that's difficult! Yes, There is alot of paperwork involved. Anyone seriously interested should  get a lawyer after the first turndown (about 97% are turned down at first)
A few good threads here about it. You can use the search feature.
Capt Deb
(turned down twice and still waiting after 3 years)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:29:33 am »
Turned down twice and waiting for my first hearing.   I had been off from work a year before I applied and applied shortly after urgery so I was turned down quickly the first time and fairly quickly the second time.  Now I have an attorney who tells me that it is an eighteen month wait until the date for the hearing.  Good Luck.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 05:30:33 pm »
I've been told the same brendalu...I've had one denial..in the middle of appeal but said if I'm turned down from that it will take about 18 mos to get a hearing :o

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 08:52:00 am »
Well, my 18 months were up 3 months ago. My lawyer says they haven't heard a disability case in this county for 6 months. Very discouraging. I'm trying to work some and it is very difficult--about 1/10th speed from the "old me". I've been dropped from all my galleries but one and they won't give me a show because they can't depend on me to get the new work done.  With out solo shows, your career as an artist sinks fast--people want to see those on your credentials when they invest in your work.  At my level it is an investment--no art fairs and such for me anymore in my league.  I've missed a thousand days of work and I'm not disabled? Uh-oh, just about fell off the soapbox there!!!!  Funny how the "new me" feels 40 years older than the "new me."
Capt Deb 8)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 09:13:16 am »
Amen to that. I'm not too impressed with the "new" me either.  I used to feel and act much younger than my years.  I took the Realage test and it says I'm OLD, very OLD.  So much for that.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Patti

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 03:17:54 pm »
I seem to be rare-but I did get SSD without a lawyer and on the first time.  I am a good writer and communicator-that helped.  My neurosurgeon in the city said "oh no-you don't want to do that" and I was so confused as to how on earth i could go back to teaching.  I had a compassionate neurologist up here who let me write down my problems and she incorporated them into a well written letter.  That may have helped.  I also was checked out by their doctor and the NYS teacher system doctor for physical problems and cognitive testing.  They approved disability.  There are the usual physical problems but I think my cognitive problems were more apparent.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 03:29:33 pm »
Could it be that tumor size has something to do with it? People like me with small ANs are "supposed" to be able to do most of what they did before surgery. Aside from debilitating headaches that have kept me in bed for the better part of almost 4 years, most of which are triggered by mild exeertion, I probably could. I'm calling my lawyer on Monday about sending him more information, especially what others on this forum have been through due to headaches and the "Brain tumor and fatigue" booklet that Phyliss sent me.  I don't want to discourage Taylor from filing for SSD, it doesn't hurt to file, it just takes up alot of time and is very stressful, but she's got a great Mom who can help her. A call to a lawyer would tell you if you even qualify for it at all. My atty consultation was free (by law.)
Good Luck,
Capt Deb 8)

Windsong

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 05:41:24 pm »
was that spoken in "tongue in cheek re small ans?"?????

I ask that as size has not much to do with after- abilities from an An and treatment unless it's huge..... and even not then.

it's all about where it is and the symptoms and we all know they vary from one individual to another....gawd help anyone who is denied due to "small size"....
hope you were joking....

windsong

amymeri

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 07:23:10 pm »
I know it is so frustrating to file for disability but the process is tough because there is so much fraud out there.  As a provider I have had many patients that were able to work try to file and many lawyers call me asking me to "tweak" my findings on physical exam in order to make a patient seem more disabled than they are...there are always people out there looking for a little "free money".

Its a real shame because then good people like those on the board can't get the help they need.  I know most people here would like nothing better than to be able to work and have the life they lead before...

It's a long process but I hope those who really  need it will persist and get the help they need.  I try to remember how grateful I am to be able to work when I have to drag myself out of bed in the mornings.. ::)
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now