Author Topic: Side effects, BAHA, and distractions  (Read 14962 times)

Tamara

Re: Side effects, BAHA, and distractions
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 05:38:33 am »
Thanks, all, for the thoughts and wishes.  Yep, I'm getting my bag packed - though I have to say it's much more fun packing for vacation.  Oh well.  I have my preop appt this morning in half an hour, so after that, I'll be good to go.  Mostly, I'm good with it, but sometimes the 2 am demons attack, and I think to myself, "I'm doing WHAT??"

My husband Don will probably be posting Thursday evening.  Here's a secret:  my name is truly Tamara, and I used it because there was a "Tammy" posting when I joined, but a lot of people call me Tammy or Tam.  So if you see a posting with those names, it really is me.

FIL is doing better.  My brother-in-law and his family are able to help out more now that they're back from vacation, so that helps.  My son is doing really well, and is back to being quite useful, as his right arm just had the small fracture, and now he has some use of it, even though it will remain casted through the end of the month.  YAY.

I'll probably post later,
Tamara, or Tammy or Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 05:42:57 am »
T/T or T! :)  Best wishes and thoughts sent from me to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  Will look for the updates!  You're gonna do great!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 08:18:05 am »
So, Tamara -

are they going to try to do the BAHA procedure for sure, or just decide when they are doing the other surgery?

Just curious,

Jan

Oh, and tell your husband thanks for agreeing to update us.  You know how we worry.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:05 am »
Hi Tammy
What?  You're not having fun packing for surgery?   ;)  BTW, in case you have any questions on what to take, there is an old thread here with all sorts of suggestions.  And please thank your husband for updating us.  As Jan said, you know how we worry.

My prayers and best wishes for you.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Tamara

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 06:38:36 pm »
I guess the BAHA is still backordered, so that won't be on the schedule for Thursday.  I can deal with that, I guess.  Preop appt went well - dr seems to think I should have very minimal side effects, if any.  He mostly advised about the dizziness & vertigo.

Strangely, I scored a 40% word recognition with my "bad" ear, while back in February I scored a whopping 12%.  I think the first tech just had poor diction.  He also found a conductive hearing loss.  I pointed out that I had told him I'd had a hearing loss for probably the last 18 years.  He thinks I might have another unrelated condition (which I've forgotten the name of).  Regardless, I'd have to address the AN issue, it's just odd.

I did use the "What should I bring to the hospital?" thread to write my packing list, and I'll tell you those dark chocolate M&Ms were the first thing in the bag :D

Hoping to avoid the 2 am demons,
Tam

7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:44 pm »
I guess the BAHA is still backordered, so that won't be on the schedule for Thursday.

Well, looking at the bright side scheduling another surgery will give you another reason to purchase some dark chocolate M&Ms  ;)

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cmp

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:52 am »
Glad your FIL is doing better, Tammy (you are one of those lucky people whose nickname and full name are equally nice!), and best of luck in your surgery tomorrow.

Hope you will soon find yourself happily in postie-land and on the way to recovery--we are looking forward to updates from your husband!

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 09:08:22 am »
Hi Tammy -

And don't forget to tell the hospital -NO soup for the first few days!!  Even without facial numbness that would be hard to manage! 

And, if you're getting the famous "belly tuck" while your'e there, don't forget to bring somethign to wear home from the hospital that won't rub that incision.  That incision hurt a whole lot more than my head - probalby because I had no "belly numbness!" 

You GO, girl!!!!    8)

Debbi - cheering you on from NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:04 pm »
Thoughts will be with you tomorrow!  Will be watching for the updates to let us know it's over and all is well.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »
Hi Tammy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow.  Soon it will be over with!
I saw my surgeon today, and he said he doesn't do both surgeries at the same time.
BAHA comes later, so maybe it's good that they don't have it in.
My son fell and broke BOTH arms at the same time, also.  It was 20 years ago, but he couldn't use either arm for doing anything.  In fact, he had to go back in the hospital 2 weeks later to have the one arm re-broken and set again.....it wasn't healing well.  All he could do all summer was kick a ball with his feet!!!  I'm so glad to hear your son is doing better....and has the limited use of one arm.
I had to even unzip my son's pants for him, to go to the bathroom!!  It was so embarrassing for him.  He wanted to go back to school, and the principal offered to do that for him, but my son said  "NO WAY"!!
Take care, Tammy, and know we are thinking of you.
Lacey

Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Tamara

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:50 pm »
Just letting you know that Tammy is out of surgery and doing well.  She was in surgery for over 7 hours and the removed the growth along with the acoustic nerve and the two balance nerves.  Her facial nerve is in pretty good shape although she has a slight paralysis that make her smile like a pirate she should be OK on that front in a few days.  Her balance is of course screwed up and she is quite dizzy and has a lot of pain in her jaw and where they made the incision.   

I will write more when I know more.

Don
(Tamara's husband)
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

sgerrard

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 09:18:50 pm »
Thanks for the quick update, Don. I'm glad to hear Tam is doing okay. Rest, rest, rest, drink some water, and rest. :)

Hope her recovery is smooth and quick.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »
Hi, Don:

7 hours in surgery isn't excessive.  This is all good news and we thank you for posting it for our benefit.  Please tell Tammy we miss her already and look forward to welcoming her back as a 'postie' (post-operative AN patient).  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 06:21:56 am »
Would like to repeat what Steve and Jim have said and add my "well wishes" to your wife.  Thanks for posting Don! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 06:26:37 am »
Ditto for me - and THANK YOU for posting, Don!  Give Tammy lots of hugs (avoiding the AN side, of course) and tell her that we are all thinking of her.  She should feel a bit better each day now.  Getting the "bonnet" off in a few days will help, too.  Take care of yourself, Don and post when you can.

All the best,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com