Author Topic: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...  (Read 62275 times)

wendysig

Re: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:08 am »
K -
I was just looking at the AN calendar and your surgery is not posted there so I just found out about it.  I'm wishing you good luck and sending you a great big hug and kiss.  You are so amazing I know you'll be just fine!

XXXOOO
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:57 am »
Thanks Wendy~
I didn't put it on there - so little in comparison to all the AN and 12/7 stuff!!  I'm sure I will be good.  I should be able to post tomorrow - if I am not too drugged up!!  Still not sure how all that will go - the last I had this here (before the T3 which obviously I was out for!), I didn't have anything AT ALL to relax me & I did fine.  It's the drugs that knock me more than the surgery!!  LOL!!  I guess I should enjoy them while I can but Tuesday afternoons are CRAZY for us: gymnastics, basketball, & soccer!
Thanks for the good thoughts & prayers,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kaybo

« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:46 am »
Cheri~
In the morning and I am able to stay home - there is  Dr. here now that is an ocluoplastic surgeon (sp?).

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

konnie

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2008, 11:48:28 am »
kay.
just wanted to say Hi !
also  to let you know that i wish the best for you. Gods blessings and good thoughts all around...
please keep us posted.
your threading friend
konnie :
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2008, 02:49:41 pm »
Hey Konnie -

how are you?  Been wondering how your recovery's going.

Jan (please excuse the hijack)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2009, 04:35:32 pm »
How about any issues with highlights pre op?  Happen to have my hair appt tomorrow and surgery 2-4 weeks away.  I think I should keep it so I look real good after surgery :D I am so new, so let me add I was kidding.  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

lori67

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2009, 05:05:59 pm »
Alicia,

Maybe you can get your highlights done for half price if they don't highlight the part that will be shaved off in a few weeks anyway!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »
Hey Kay!

I'll be thinking about you when you have your procedure done!  Enjoy the good drugs and let your family baby you for a little bit.  You deserve it!  Let us know how it goes.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2009, 10:06:19 pm »
What am I having  done again??  ???  It is very rare that I don't have some procedure looming, but I can't think of any right now that doesnt involve eggs & dye!!  LOL!! I'm in Houston...Happy Easter!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:13 pm »
Don't worry, Kay.

This is an old thread - from way back in September  ::)  I didn't take the time to scroll all the way back to the beginning, but whatever you were having done has most likely been done for months!

I hope it went well, though  ;)

Hoppy Easter! - no, that isn't a typo

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2009, 07:17:01 am »
Hoppy Easter! - no, that isn't a typo

Jan

My brain read that as "Happy Easter".  It was only after reading the typo part that I had to go back and re-read and find the "Hoppy" instead :)

Happy (Hoppy) Easter to you and all too :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Keri

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:43 pm »
my brain thought like ernie's too (thought hoppy was happy).

kay - you were having a 'procedure' done. gee, hope that info was helpful to you!

i just spent 30 minutes reading this whole thread... after reading about some of the painful stuff mentioned at the beginning, AN recovery doesn't seem quite so bad!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:53 am »
I couldn't make it past the first four or five pages of this thread.  I was laughing so hard.  Brian's involvement is priceless.  Reminds me when Ernie was the first one to reply to the Menopause thread.  When will men learn their place!?!

Anyway, I hadn't really thought about asking if it is okay to color my hair.  I had everything out ready to go.  But then I searched hair color here and got a little concerned.  I use the non-permanent Clairol natural instincts variety.  So, I called Mili this morning, and she asked Dr. Barker, and he said NO!  Luckily, I have a second opinion option in Dr. McKenna and Dr. McCall who saw my incision and de-sutured it on Monday. 

Certainly, I can get my hair wet and just put a little on the roots and grey spots for 20 minutes and then rinse it out.  I can tape up the incision with gauze as well.  Or should I pop into the health food store and see if they have henna? 

Big party on Sunday all afternoon and evening and, as you know, needing all the help I can get in the looks department.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:24 am »
Certainly, I can get my hair wet and just put a little on the roots and grey spots for 20 minutes and then rinse it out.  I can tape up the incision with gauze as well.  Or should I pop into the health food store and see if they have henna? 

I'm not a doctor - or a hairdresser - but I wouldn't do this without asking your doctor.

IMO, you're better safe than sorry; just my thought - nothing scientific about it.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2009, 12:04:05 pm »
Nancy~
I couldn't even color my hair for 5 weeks after my T3 and I had VERY minimal incisions in my hairline.  I had a very young, and "with it" Dr. who was up on everything "new" and he said "No Way!"
Sorry!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!