Author Topic: Going Ahead With Gamma Knife  (Read 6223 times)

wendysig

Re: Going Ahead With Gamma Knife
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 12:14:32 pm »
Hi Nancy,
Congratulations on your decision.  Feeling your decision is the right one for you in your "gut" is something most of us who have been treated have done.  You sound very confident in your decision and your doctors and that is how you should feel. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 12:40:19 pm »
I've been following (quietly) your decision making process and am glad it looks as though it's over for you.  It is a daunting process, one we have all been through, and happy you feel good about your decision as this is very important! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:58:36 pm »
Wendy and Arushi,

Thanks for your support.  Definitely a long and mentally draining process for me in finally getting to my gut feeling about which route to take.  I have definitely burned up this board with questions, and I have gotten some good info and support along the way.  Thanks also to my Denver friends.  Hope to get my date set up this week.  The hardest part of this whole process has been the waiting mode.  I am usually an impulsive person so making this decision has gone a bit out of my comfort zone.  I am glad I did the research and made an informed decision.  Best wishes to those of you who are trying to make your decision.  It will come in its own time, and as one of the most helpful posts written to me on this board said, "You don't have to explain your decision to anyone."  This statement took a lot of pressure off of me and helped me focus on what was right for me.

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 09:47:02 am »
Hi Nancy,
Sorry I'm late to the post, but congratulations on making a decision--the hardest part for many of us.  I shall look forward to good news from you after the procedure.  And I second the early-drug suggestion.  I tried for a week in advance but they weren't buying it.
All the best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:07 am »
Hi Nancy,
 I second the early-drug suggestion.  I tried for a week in advance but they weren't buying it.
All the best,
Marci

That's funny, Marci!

Laughing,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:12 pm »
Tumbleweed, happy I made you laugh.  What is it Yardtick says, "if I don't laugh, I"m gonna cry?"  My boss reports to anyone who will listen that after brain surgery he was pleased to report that they left my smart-ass lobe intact.   :D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 04:51:18 pm »
Hi, Nancy:

I'm tardy here because (a) I've been away on vacation and, (b) since I've returned I've been writing my chapter for the AN book and had to stay off the website to get it finished (all 4,757 words). 

That said, please accept my congratulations on your decision.  I'm well aware of your emotional struggle to get to this point and I know it's based on solid information and, of course, your intuition ('gut').  I'm sure you'll do fine with GK, just as so many others have.   Let us know when you have a firm date so we can pray for you and, of course, put you on the calendar.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 05:55:58 pm »
Thanks Jim!

What's with the AN book?  I am in the dark about this one.  Can I get a signed copy when it is published?  My date is Tuesday, October 7th, around noon they say.  Thought it would be mid-Sept, but docs had a schedule problem.  Was having problems with the wait, but I am doing fine now.  Just trying to stay focused.  Hope you had fun on your vacation.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:02 pm »
Thanks Jim!

What's with the AN book?  I am in the dark about this one.  Can I get a signed copy when it is published?  My date is Tuesday, October 7th, around noon they say.  Thought it would be mid-Sept, but docs had a schedule problem.  Was having problems with the wait, but I am doing fine now.  Just trying to stay focused.  Hope you had fun on your vacation.

Nancy

Nancy: 

Here's a link to the 'AN Book' thread: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6345.0

I placed your GK procedure date on the AN Treatment Calendar:  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d07/10/2008?display=M&style=B&positioning=A

I did have fun on my vacation, thanks.  We went to Disney World in Orlando, Florida for six days.  Resting up from it, now.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 10:56:17 am »
Thanks for the link, Jim.  The book is a good idea.  I added my comment on the post.  Also, thanks for putting my name on the calendar.  I was wondering who did that.  You are so thoughtful.  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs