Author Topic: Debbi's First Postie MRI Tomorrow!  (Read 8585 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Debbi's First Postie MRI Tomorrow!
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:37 am »
Hi all-

Well, my first post-surgery MRI is tomorrow and I am excited to see what my brain looks like now!  I am most curious to see whether or not the "nubs" they left behind on my facial nerve will be visible.  I can honestly say that I am not at all nervous about regrowth at this point - after all, it has only been 4 months so nothing to worry about.

I'm having the MRI at NYU and will then hand-carry the film upstairs to Dr. Golfinos's office where he will review it with me - no waiting! 

I am hoping to bring a copy home on CD so that I can post a picture here.  I'll be loaded with valium tomorrow, so don't know ifI'll post tomorrow or Weds. Probably better for all concerned if I wait until Weds.   ;D

Wish me luck!!  ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

Re: Debbi's First Postie MRI Tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:36 am »
Debbi,

Best of luck with your MRI! I hope that both you and Dr. Golfinos are happy with the results. Seeing him right after will sure take away some of that anxiety!

I am about to have mine soon and, boy, am I nervous! I had a clean MRI 2 months after surgery and don't want that to change because I have actually never had a clean MRI besides that one in my entire life. It always showed something. Maybe, I should consider some type of medication, too!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:17 am »
Wow, Debbi, tomorrow already; that seems fast - at least to me  ;)

I didn't have my first post op MRI until 11 months after my surgery - was supposed to wait 1 year, but the suspense was killing me  :D

Hope all goes well.  Keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:19:19 am »
I'm with jan! Seems like yesterday! Will have celebratory beverage of my choice prepared for the good news you will share with us! :) Good luck tomorrow!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:30:48 am »
Good luck Debbi, lots of it.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:47:49 pm »
Debbie
Since I checked the calendar and it's another quiet week in the AN neighborhood -- I'll just piggyback on your post.

Good luck tomorrow.  I'm glad to hear you'll be loaded with Vallium.  And as I may have mentioned before, the second MRI is a little easier because you know what to expect.

And the only other thing going on this week is Katie Bonner's 2 year anniversary.  Way to go Katie!

David 
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 12:54:06 pm »
Debbi:

Ah, the first post-op MRI!  Always taken with a combination of slight anxiety and much hope.  Hope that is often fulfilled, as I'm sure yours will be. 

The instant MRI analysis is the only way to go.  I've always had my (semi-annual) MRI scans in tandem with my scheduled visit to the neurosurgeon, due to the 62-mile round trip to the MRI center and doctor's office, located next door. This gives me a 'two-fer' and an instant review of my MRI, so no waiting and wondering.  Now that I'm on an annual MRI basis, I'll continue this pattern. 

Please be sure to let us know your results, as soon as the Valium wears off.  :D

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »

And the only other thing going on this week is Katie Bonner's 2 year anniversary.  Way to go Katie!

Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary, Katie!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:00:17 pm »
Deb~
Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the drugs while you legally can!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NL

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:19 pm »
Debbi,

Good luck on tomorrow's MRI! So glad that you will get the same day review with your doctor!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

JulieE

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:18:59 pm »
Good Luck with the MRI.  "No More Nubs for you" will be my mantra!  Jules

Mickey

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »
Good Luck Debbie! Many prayers and toughts are with you. I know your in good hands. Looking fowards to meet you at ANANJ on Oct. 25th! Mickey P.S. I played golf with Joe a coupe of weeks ago who mentioned he met you at the lunchon.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 06:41:38 pm »
Best wishes on your MRI tomorrow!! 

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:22:38 pm »
Hi Debbi
Good luck with your MRI tomorrow!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Dr.Golfinos will have great news for you and the nubs they left behind are so small they are not even noticable!  Hopefully Ethel will never raise her AN head again!!!  Let us know as soon as possible how everything went!!!!!

Wishing you luck and all other good things
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:49:15 am »