Author Topic: How'd the BAHA implant surgery go, Tamara?  (Read 7161 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
How'd the BAHA implant surgery go, Tamara?
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:25:22 pm »
Tamara -

just checking in with you to see how today's surgery went.

It might be a little early - don't know if you had general anesthesia or not - but I'm hoping for an update.

Hope everything went wonderfully  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

Re: How'd the BAHA implant surgery go, Tamara?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:54:39 am »
Yes, Jan, I did miss this thread - THANKS!  I was still reading the replies to my previous posts.  Anywho, yes, the BAHA was a piece of cake compared to the translab.  I have no hat, though. Just took the pressure bandage off this morning and can feel the little plastic cap on it.  I did forget to ask when I can wash my hair...??  I'll call the office later, but I'm sure many of you know.

Now that this is done, I'm set to avoid hospitals for the rest of my life ;D

Tammy ;D, using this icon 'cause I actually have a smile WITH TEETH again!
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:32 am »
Tamara -

you should probably check with your doctor's office, but I was able to wash my hair by placing a plastic drinking cup over my BAHA site 24 hours post implant.  It's not nearly as hard as it sounds  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:50:59 pm »
Tamara:

Congratulations on your BAHA implant!  I hope it proves to be as great a help to you as it's been for others.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tamara

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »
I hope others considering the BAHA read this thread.....of course, once I took the dressing off my implant, I commenced to feeling around the site with my fingers.  I came upon the white plastic cap that's on top of the abutment.  When I touch the cap, ever so slightly, I can HEAR it in my good ear.  HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!   8) Can you tell I'm excited?  I hear a "skritchy skritchy" sound.  As I mentioned somewhere, I don't think I've had servicable hearing on my left side in a decade.  NOW it is going to be hard to wait.  Guess I'll have to keep skritching the cap 'til I get the processor.  Oh, and lest anyone worry, I really AM hardly touching it!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:00:35 pm »
Tammy -

Congratulations on discovering one of the many amazing parts of the BAHA implant.   I discovered this same thing very soon after my surgery and I was SO excited!  ;D

It's nice to be able to get a little "feel" for how it will work prior to being able to attach the processor.  Once you are able to remove the plastic cap, you'll notice the skritchy skritchy sound even more.

Enjoy!

Jan

Oops!  Almost forgot to say, please put your processor date on the AN Calendar so we can remember to check in with you to see how you like it  :)

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »
Tammy,

You are getting skritchy skritchy sounds? Oh that is very cool.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:12:45 pm »
I can see Steve's back to his BAHA envy  ;)

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 07:24:18 pm »
I don't know Jan...it kinda sounds like Steve is being facetious, but he wouldn't do that, would he?? ;)

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 07:57:43 am »
Facetious?  Steve?  No.  Me, maybe  ;)  But usually not on the forum.

Actually with the exception of a comment about Frankenstein long ago, Steve is very impressed with the BAHA and wishes he had one.

Maybe one day - if he's extremely lucky!  If that day ever comes, maybe I'll knit him a hat  :D

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:53 pm »
Hi Tammy,
Congratulations on your BAHA implant surgery.  It sounds like everything went great.  It must be fantastic to get a little taste of what it will be like to have your processor.  I had a BAHA demo in my doc's office a few weeks ago and last week he let me play with one.  He brought a plactic stand that had titanium screw and abutment attached to it and when I snapped the processor on I would feel the plastic vibrate when we were talking -- it was a bone conduction simulation.  Wow -- I got a rush of excitement all over again.  What an amazing innovation BAHA is!!  I can't wait for one of my own.  I definitely have BAHA envy!

So very happy for you!!!
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
How long do you have to wait after translab surgery to get the implant????  I'm VERY interested in getting one.  I can't stand this SSD.  It drives me crazy.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 05:20:47 am »
Lacey,
  I waited 3 months, but I suppose the answer is "whenever your head is healed enough".  I was actually scheduled to have it implanted at the same time as my translab, but it was backordered, of all things!  So far, so good with it.  I should get the processor just before Christmas.
  I was pretty much SSD before my surgery, so I am used to it, but I AM looking forward to hearing like I haven't in a decade or so.  That will be a big change for me.

Best Wishes,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:13 am »
Tammy-

Wahoo for you!!  You've now joined the "cool head" crew.  And, yes, I, too, have BAHA envy .... However, I am still in pursuit of a TransEar...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 09:53:36 am »
But Debbie, the BAHA is so COOL 8)  I'm hoping to dangle charms off of it.... ;D

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08