Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5415 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Thanksgiving
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:14:43 am »
So as Thanksgiving approaches for those of us in the US, I find myself thinking of the things I am thankful for this year ...

... for my wonderful husband who has been there for every fear, every tear, every joy, every doctor's appointment
... for my amazing parents who dropped everything and came all the way acros the country to stay with me when I had surgery
... for the friends who visited me every day in the hospital and told me I looked great, even when I didn't
... for being forced to slow down this year and re-evaluate what is really important in my life
... for all of you who have gotten me through more rough spots than you'll ever know...

Debbi, taking time out to give thanks...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:03:31 am »
Big smooches and hugs to you Debbi  :-* :-* :-*  I all ready celebrated Thanksgiving in October, but my heart will be with all of my American friends and family on Thursday.  I'm so glad we have crossed paths, even though its AN, FN or TN that has brought us together.  Life is so much sweeter knowing ALL of YOU on this forum.

Pass the turkey and cranberries please!  I'll bring the tiramisu and a bottle of Louie's petite shirah wine!!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:07:57 pm »
Debbi:

Good thread concept.  Thanks for posting it.  :)

I'm thankful to be a Christian, saved by the grace of God.

I'm thankful for my lovely, wonderful wife, Tina.  My partner and staunch advocate in all things.

I'm thankful for my adult son, Chris (age 29).  A good man with integrity and character who makes his parents (Jim and Tina) proud, every day. 

I'm thankful for being born, raised and living in the U.S.A.  Despite the political bickering and politician's posturing, the greatest country in the world - if we can keep it.

I'm thankful to be alive and in good physical condition at my age, following a serious medical crisis (my AN surgery and radiation). 

I'm thankful for all the blessings I've received and that certainly includes my relationship with the many good folks that use this website and the forums, including the ANA Director (Judy Vitucci) and the other moderators, Phyl, Joe and Steve.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!    (Now, let's eat!:)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:55:11 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow American ANers,
I was going ot start this thread but Debbi beat me to it!

I am truly thankful to have found this wonderful forum and the equally wonderful people here and many other people and thngs:

My sister Carol, who held my hand through this whole experience
My sister Sandy, who could not always be here physically but always gave her support
My wonderful daughters who made me laugh when I felt like crying
My husband, who finally came around
The rest of my family and friends who visited me, called me and  sent me funny cards so many plants my house looks like a garden
My wonderful doctors, but especially Dr. Choe, who has gone far beyond the call of duty in caring for and helping me
For the strength that I found that I never knew was there
For the renewed faith I have in human nature -- there are a LOT of wonderful people out there!!

Best wsihes for a Happy Thanksgiving!
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tisha

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:02:35 pm »
What a wonderful thread.  This AN journey has made me think of all my blessings.

I'm thankful to God, who answered my prayers for strength.

For my husband, who keeps me sane and is my rock.

For my children, for their health, they give my life purpose; for my parents who cry with me the only a way parent can.

For my friends, who keep me from feeling all alone.  Girlfriends are the best!

For the internet.....for without this technology I would not have met all of you!  It makes me realize how lucky we are, I can't imagine having to have done this alone without all this help and knowledge.

I'm thankful to be living now, in this age of medical miracles, thankful for the radiation machines with their great stats.

I'm thankful to be alive, and to realize this AN is not terminal.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:56:10 pm »
I love the thought of this thread... for all of you that mention the moderators here... I thank you and ... only doing my job :)

My thankful list is far too long to note here... some notations are personal... some are not.  In tough times for me, whether emotional, economic or physically, one thing I can share with you all here.. and I have no problem noting it publically (as many know, I can be very private when it comes to many aspects of my life.....)..... I am so very truly blessed that you all are such a MAJOR part of my life. The list of folks is far too long for me to single out any few names..... but truly, you all have become a 2nd family to me... cheering me on during good (check our wedding thread in Archive forum)..... to coaching me through treatment choices (again, in Archives forum)....  letting me jest with you (yeah, the drinks ARE watered down!)...... but most of all... for the true... unconditional friendship and love you all give..... I thank you... I AM... truly blessed.

Have a terrific and safe holiday all! 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:37 pm »
Thankful:
For great family and friends, including all of you here, I have needed you every step of the way!
For a sharp primary care doctor, without whom my tumor would not have been found when it was.
For the doctors who operated on me, the nurses (angels really) who took care of me and the doctors who continue to take care of me.
For my massage therapist who has lessened my pain.
For getting a second chance to live my life.
And finally for the courage that I found way down deep inside to remain feisty and to laugh more often than I cry.

Happy Thanksgiving dear friends.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:28:34 pm »
Thankful, indeed:
In spite of facing surgery in 2 short weeks, my heart is full.  Friends, family, and faith see me through each and every day.  I am blessed in every way and I know I couldn't face any of this without the Big Three!  In addition to all the friends who surround and support me here in Houston, I have all these new friends on the forum.  Did I tell you that my husband and I are having lunch with Brian on the Sat. after Thanksgiving?  We'll take pictures for you!  :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

texsooner

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:32:17 pm »
Great subject. I'm thankful:

- for my loving wife Tracy who has been with me all the way on the AN journey and the last 22 years.
- for my 2 great kids, Zach(junior at OU) and Adam (senior in high school)
- for all the prayers and support from my family and friends
- for my surgeons who did a great job getting the big booger out of my head
- for my health, as I am very grateful to be able to stay active
- for this forum full of great people
- for my Sooners kicking a** against Texas Tech 65-21(just seeing if anyone is paying attention). Go Sooners, beat Okie State.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Patrick

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:47:56 pm by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
I'm thankful for my wonderful understanding husband, Dr. Love, who after years of watching me struggle  to make big turkey dinners every Thanksgiving for his family and mine and and end  up with a headache and wonkyhead, this year allowed me instead to make......reservations!  Yes, that's right! This year it's just the two of us, a nice quiet restaurant, and a matinee (movie, you gutter-brains!) No muss, no fuss, no stress! Oh and we're eating vegetarian!

Happy Thanksgiving you all!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:48:33 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:35:09 pm »
Deb - I hear the Tofurkey is really good (no kidding!)  I have a couple of vegan friends who swear by it.  I'm going for the fleshy kind of turkey myself ...

I am thankful, btw, that I decided to order all the side dishes from the local butcher, who also does catering! 

Debbi, counting my blessings...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 06:18:02 pm »
I'm scared to report this, but Brian is making GOOSE for Thanksgiving.  I am afraid.  (Not scared enough to cook myself, mind you.)
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »
I'm that person that you just hate in the kitchen.  Stealing turkey skin...grabing cookies...sticking my finger in the frosting...

No wonder my Mom banned me from the kitchen!  My wife has learned to deal with me   :)

Happy Thanksgiving ya'all
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 02:09:06 pm »
I am thankful for family ,friends this board , the country I live in ...

Thankful too that I got the name of a person at BCBS so I have one person to pester there
and not get shuffled around to a different person each time I call...

Thanksgiving i+-s at my house ... I usually do about 90% of the cooking ...my mom is no longer working
ans says she is gonna cook... I am funny ans would rather cook than have people touching my stuff
and messing about in my kitchen... maybe she will settle for bringing pies and washing all the pots and pans  :D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
I'm thankful for Modern Medicine and for being born in a time period that has good medical treatments.  If I'd picked 1846 instead of 1946, things would have been a whole lot different!  I wouldn't have made it to 9 years old, I don't think.  My appendix might have proved deadly, instead of a minor inconvenience.  I'm thankful for my family and I'm thankful that I have a computer and that I'm able to travel the world and talk to so many wonderful and interesting people.  Using the computer, as I do for genealogy and for information, for creative endeavors and for support groups has really been a terrific experience.  I'm grateful that I enjoyed learning about computers and that I have been able to have it in my life.  I would never have been a pirate otherwise! 

This year is going to be very low key.  My son blew out his knee and had surgery on Monday for his torn ACL.  No fun.  He's living with us at the moment and I'm taking care of him, and his dog.  My SIL doesn't do turkey, so we are having a pork loin roast, baked potatoes, whatever salad they are bringing and relish tray.  Keeping it easy and simple.  Only 7 of us for dinner, thank goodness.  I almost canceled the whole thing, but my husband was so disappointed, so I relented and said, NO MASHED POTATOES.  Deal with it. 

I'm grateful I have a husband to boss around and a son to take care of!  ;D ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode