Author Topic: This week (April 12) in the Stormy World of the AN  (Read 7682 times)

LADavid

This week (April 12) in the Stormy World of the AN
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:30 pm »
This weeks adjective was in reference to Stormy who was having surgery this past week -- which btw -- how was it?

I'm doing this again, hoping to recreate the enthusiasm I had the first time.  I accidently hit the back button erasing everything.  Cyber-dumb.  So here goes.

Starting off the week on Monday, Steve (Seal) from Rhode Island is having a Retro Sig at Mass General in Boston.  Same place, same team that Nancy had last week.  Have a great surgery, Steve.  It seems like a long time coming.  And hoping SSD is bagpipe friendly.

On Tuesday, Peggy (GANZAP) from Michigan, is having a Translab here in LA at House.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and looking forward to meeting you Monday.

Also on Tuesday, Laura (lauralynn) from Phoenix is having a Translab and a BAHA at Barrow's Neurosurgical Hospital in Phoenix.  Have a great surgery, Laura.  And I think you have the scarf.  Pictures, please!

Then the AN world is taking the next two days off which brings us to Friday when Mitch (Trackman) from Pittsburgh is having BAHA surgery.  Best wishes Mitch, hoping the wait was worth it.

And rounding out the week on Saturday, Sue from Vancouver WA is celebrating her 3rd year GK anniversary.  Yea, Sue!  Go out and have a party or something.

And finally on Saturday, Patrick (Texsooner) is taking on yet another amazing feat.  He is riding the MS150 bike ride from Houson to Austin.  For those of you who don't know, Patrick recently ran a Half Marathon.  My hat's off to you.  Have a great ride, Patrick.

That's it for the week.  We always appreciate it when you stars of the week send along updates.  If you don't have much to say, check out Jo's (tenai98) update.  It said it all.

Happy Easter and have a great week.

David

Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: This week (April 12) in the Stormy World of the AN
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:41:50 am »
Happy Easter to you, David and to all.  To all having something done this week or are celebrating a milestone...congratulations and my thoughts and prayers are with each of you!
Enjoy your week and I'll hope that everyone has flowers blooming and bees buzzing.
I have to ask, Steve, are your fingers getting tired yet?  You are knitting those hats at record speed and they all look so very "chic"!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:17 am »
Sending good thoughts out to all; and thanks to David for keeping us in the loop.
Best,
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:24:38 am »
thanks to David for keeping us in the loop.
Best,
Marci

Yes, thank you David.  It's real nice of you to do the weekly run down :)

Best wishes to Steve, Peggy, Laura, and Mitch for successful surgeries.  You’ll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Happy anniversary Sue :)

Good luck Patrick!  Hope you have great weather for your ride.

As for last week: Continued speedy recoveries to Jo, DLM4me, Nancy, and Stormy (how we haven’t heard anything about, hope everything went okay).

Happy Easter Everyone ;D

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:11:22 am »
Sounds like another busy week for ANs.

Good luck Steve, Peggy and Laura with your AN surgeries.  As someone who's been there, I can tell you with confidence that you'll be fine.  Be patient - recovery takes time.  I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Mitch and Laura - as a BAHA user who is thrilled with my Divino, I can't wait to hear your reactions about 90 days from now when you describe to us your BAHA gotcha day experiences.  I'm looking forward to that and hope you love your BAHAs as much as I love mine.

Sue - congratulations on 3 years!  ;D  Thanks for sticking around the forum to share your experiences and your good advice with all of the newbies - and us oldies, too.

Patrick - your athletic feats never cease to amaze me.  You are an inspiration even to those who never had an AN.  Good luck with the MS150 and if you need sponsors next year, please don't hesitate to ask me.  I'd love to contribute.

Once again, David, thanks for the recap of the week to come; I really look forward to it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:45:58 am »
Dear Stormy week participants,

Here's hoping all surgeries go well and are 'uneventful!'  [I like the 'spa' day idea that Nancy started  ;) ]
Seriously --Thoughts and prayers to Steve, Peggy, Laura, and to their families.

Mitch - congrats on the going for the BAHA!  Can't wait for those updates later.

Happy Anniversary to Sue!  Three years and counting - great!
Patrick - enjoy the ride!

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:01:34 pm »
Yes, time flies when you are having fun!  ;)   Thanks for letting me stay!

Best of luck to everyone with their various "things" this week. 

Thanks to LADavid for investing his time and energy in reminding everyone of the weeks events.  This is a wonderful addition to the forum, and greatly appreciated.  And you kept your enthusiasm when you had to do it all over again.   Never an easy task to recreate things after it disappears.  I know whereof I speak on that one!  :D

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:57:59 pm »
David:

Thanks, as always, for the update.  Nice job - and I'm sorry you lost the first draft.  It happens - and it's always aggravating.

To Steve, Peggy and Laura : may your surgical procedures go smoothly, without complications.

To Sue: congratulations on the 3-year milestone!  May you have nothing but unremarkable MRI scans to infinity (and beyond).   ;)

To Patrick: kudos on your MS bike ride.  Quite a challenge - but one I'm sure you're up to. 

May everyone enjoy a pleasant spring week.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
Good luck, All!  Now I no longer have to say I'm right behind you but rather that I'm ahead, well, in some ways anyway.  But I do believe the double vision has eased this afternoon.  Eye still very annoyingly irritated.
The other side is certainly mentally easier if not physically.
Positive vibes,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 05:23:53 pm »
This weeks adjective was in reference to Stormy who was having surgery this past week -- which btw -- how was it?

Sue and I met with Stormy and Girlfriend last weekend.. Girlfriend said that she would let us know how Stormy was doing. I haven't heard anything yet, but will post when I do, if you'd like.

Good luck to everyone this week.  :)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:32:02 pm »
David,

Thanks for doing the update twice this week. :)

Steve, Peggy, Laura, and Mitch, your turn to keep the ball rolling along this week. Best wishes.

Sue, you were the first ANer I talked to on the phone after my diagnosis. Congratulations on year #3.

Patrick, best wishes for your 150 mile bike ride. Better you than me. :)

Cathy, do let us know about Stormy. I will assume it is good news in the meantime.

Golly, I'm tired already.  :P

Steve

PS: Brenda, I am still knitting along, it is easier than bike riding. (Note to self: make Brenda a hat...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:35:16 pm by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »
Wow, looks like a busy, busy week.

Prayers going out to Steve (seal), Peggy (GANZAP) and Laura (lauralynn) for a successful surgery and quick recovery!

Good luck with your BAHA surgery on Friday Mitch!

Grats on your 3rd year GK anniversary Sue!

Amazing Patrick!  Have a great time on that MS150 bike ride!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Lilan

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:13:33 pm »
GARZAP rocketed to the top of my favorites list with this memorable line:

TO THE GUY IN THE BLUE HAT...PLEASE PUT ME ON THE CALENDAR. 

:D

Somehow it sums up so much -- how overwhelmed & overloaded we are when we arrive here -- but how much we can immediately tell we need this crowd to get us through!

Fantastic luck to her this week and everyone else!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:34:55 pm »
GARZAP rocketed to the top of my favorites list with this memorable line:

TO THE GUY IN THE BLUE HAT...PLEASE PUT ME ON THE CALENDAR. 

:D

That was a great line.  The ironic part was we all knew exactly who she was talking about  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »
Wow, this is a busy week!

Good luck to all - we seem to be on a roll for good outcomes, so lets keep it going!   ;D

Thanks for keeping us informed David...much appreciated.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.