Author Topic: GARZAP (Peggy's) Update  (Read 6927 times)

cindyj

Re: GARZAP (Peggy's) Update
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 12:17:22 pm »
Hey, Peggy!  Know you're so glad to be home...and to be a new postie!  How great was that to have strings pulled for you with the airline!  ANers do seem to be the nicest people...you really got to see some super nice ones while in LA!

Continue to take it easy and heal well,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »
Peggy~
Glad you are home safe and sound!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 01:24:01 pm »
Great news that you are home and resting in your own recliner!  What a feeling that is!  Don't forget to take a breather here and there :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 04:18:50 pm »
Hi, Peggy ~

Well done!  It's always good to be home.  Enjoy yours.  L.A. will (probably) be there in the future.  By the way, I love my recliner, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »
Hey Peggy

Thanks for brining up the issue of staples.  We have offered in the past -- and did for Beth Reed -- but it always seemed like everyone was well-stocked.  We will make sure to go back to asking.  Since none of us stayed at Seton -- we really don't know what would help out.  If some of you Seton Alums would offer some suggestions, we can be better prepared -- all Beth wanted was Strawberries and applesauce.  You're right Peggy, there isn't much in the way there of shopping.  The closest real store is a mile away -- and I am sure one can only tolerate Burger King for so long.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

GARZAP

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:07 pm »
Hi Dave,

Seton Hall was great.  There were things in the refrigerator that people wrote "Share" on and that meant you were to help yourself.  Someone left little yogurts and every morning at 6am I had one with my pills!!  We also both enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich one night as well.  So we did fine.  My husband was able to find a good Mexican restuarant, and a Polo Loco that had great chicken as well as Burger King and the Vincents Cafeteria all within less than a mile (very steep hills though) 
Take Care
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28:06 pm »

Since none of us stayed at Seton -- we really don't know what would help out.  If some of you Seton Alums would offer some suggestions, we can be better prepared

I'll bet I'm going to be in the vast minority with this comment, but my husband and I both thought the St. Vincent's food was pretty good. We ate a lot of our meals there -- either in the hospital cafeteria or as "take-out" in the Seton commons room on our floor.  When I was a patient there in January '08 there were always lots of fresh fruits and veggies in the salad bar and the tuna fish sandwiches were great. There was generally at least one hot entree that was appealing. The steroids really increased my appetite, and I couldn't wait for mealtime while I was still in the hospital.

That being said, we were awfully glad that we rented a car (with a GPS!), and I would really encourage people to do that. We were pleasantly surprised with the L.A. traffic and freeways -- not nearly as intimidating as we had expected -- and we did lots of touring, both before and after my surgery. It would have been considerably less pleasant had we been stuck on the House/St. Vincent's "campus" for two weeks.

I think the "L.A. Welcoming Committee" is the greatest! It's such a thoughtful gesture, and I'm sure the folks you help are more appreciative than you can ever imagine. I just wish it had been formed before my surgery! Please keep up the good work.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lilan

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »
What kind of clothes did you all wear while at Seton and flying home -- sort of while in transition from hospital gown to normalcy?

I can't quite get my mind around it with the stomach incision happening as well. I assume jeans and regular waist clothes are not comfortable because of that. Knit dress, cropped yoga pants come to mind, with V-neck T-shirts with large neck opening to pull over head?

I am kind of imagining shuffling around in a button-down housedress and tricked-out walker, then I remember I won't suddenly be 93 years old.  :o

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 08:01:45 pm »
That was a funny mental image, Lilan!!   ;D  Thanks for the chuckle!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 08:09:27 pm »
What kind of clothes did you all wear while at Seton and flying home -- sort of while in transition from hospital gown to normalcy?

Gosh, I transitioned to normal clothes as soon as I was discharged.
I wore things that buttoned or zippered for blouses or sweaters.  The bandage prevents you from pulling things over your head. I also wore slip on shoes cause you don't want to bend over to fidget with shoelaces and such.

Best of luck,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

NL

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:23 pm »
Hi Peggy!

I didn't get a chance to check in with you yesterday after your appointment, and then I see you back to posting today...from home! That's great - I'm so glad you were able to make the arrangements to go home on the earlier flight without the extra charge. (And that's pretty impressive that you made it through the airport without the wheelchair!)

Sorry you didn't get to do any sight-seeing - at least this time out ;) - but I'm so glad you're back at home in the comfort of your recliner.  ;D

(And like David, said, we didn't realize you were in need of some good munchies - we would have brought you something much more tasty than a PB & J sandwich!  ;))

Enjoy the recliner - and all those naps in your future - and please keep us updated!

Nancy

P.S. -  Lilan - I went home with loose workout pants with a drawstring waist, a zip-up hoodie, and slip on sketchers. We only had to drive about 20 minutes home, but I'm sure that would be comfy on a flight, too.
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

GARZAP

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:33 am »
HI Lilian,
I wore comfy jog pants and zip up hoodie, tennis shoes.  They will give you a bag to put these in when you change into your beautiful hospital attire.  My hubbby just brought the same bag back to me for the ride home.  Only other thing I took was chap stick.  Seriously you won't need anything else.  When I got home to Seton Hall I put on my own comfy jammies (neckline didn't seem to matter bandage is already off)  For the walking in the halls and eating in the kitchen I just added my lightweight robe.

Nancy,

Had we ended up staying longer it probably would have dawned on me to ask for groceries, duh.  I know you would have helped us out!!  45 right now in Michigan, supposed to have two days of 80,  Len says I'm going out on the patio for awhile   :)
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

Lilan

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:37 am »
So, Garzap, you stayed at Seton till time to go home and didn't really need "street clothes" except for flying?

How many days were you there? I want to fly home on a Sunday, and am debating whether to pick Tue or Thu for surgery (10 vs. 12 days before flight home). I vary and am now leaning toward staying Tue-following Sun, 12 days total, surgery Thu and flying home 10 days later.

(Apologies for slight hijack of thread, but invaluable to talk to someone also from Midwest who JUST did this.)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 10:47:45 am »
So, Garzap, you stayed at Seton till time to go home and didn't really need "street clothes" except for flying?
I want to fly home on a Sunday, and am debating whether to pick Tue or Thu for surgery (10 vs. 12 days before flight home). I vary and am now leaning toward staying Tue-following Sun, 12 days total, surgery Thu and flying home 10 days later.

Your "12 days total" plan sounds like a good one -- typically House releases patients to fly home 10 days after surgery. You're very likely to feel well enough to get out and about after your surgery, so you should probably have some "street clothes" handy. I know that I (and at least a couple of other patients who had their surgery the same day I did) were ambulatory as soon as we were released to Seton from the hospital and wore "regular clothes."

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lilan

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 11:28:16 am »
So good to know! Thanks! :)