Author Topic: Link between AN and high blood pressure  (Read 4833 times)

lholl36233

Link between AN and high blood pressure
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:44:09 am »
Has anyone seen their blood pressure go up after being diagnosed?

You might remember what I have is a chondroma which is bone narrowing the internal auditory canal.  I never had high blood pressure before but now it is 140/90.  I'm only 36.  I wore a 24 hour blood pressure monitor.  I don't think I read it correctly but I think I'm headed for high blood pressure pills.

???
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: Link between AN and high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:30:53 am »
The doctors have told me I had boarderline blood pressure for the last 15 years around 140/90, but right after surgery I had to start taking bloodpressure medicine for high blood pressure.  It was as high as 170/115 I'm 20 months post OP now and still taking two different sorts of medicine.  I have to say though part of it I'm sure is inherited.  My father has had high blood pressure as long as I can remember and my older and younger brother also for the last few years.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
If you've just noticed this once on an at-home test, I wouldn't panic yet. One, it could be misreading or faulty. Two, in general, I would think STRESS right after diagnosis could play a part! Why are you monitoring your bp at home?

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:24 am »
My blood pressure is so low I am almost dead!  Immediately after surgery my blood pressure shot up to 120/80, which is normal for most people, that was an indication to my nurses I was in pain.  Three years after surgery the only time my blood pressure is at a normal rate is when I have a killer headache. 

My husband suffers from high blood pressure and is on meds for it.  We have a blood pressure cuff, so I do keep an eye on my blood pressure especially when I have a killer headache.   My second son Nicholas who is 20, his blood pressure runs a little high.  He is slim and very athletic so I think it is heritary.  The family doctor isn't too concerned but being a Mom, I am watchful.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

SALT? Re: Link between AN and high blood pressure
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:47:48 am »
OK all of you Americans (and yes even Canadians  ;)  :-* ) who have high blood pressure should see this recent news clip about SALT on ABC news.

Are You Eating Too Much Salt?
Healthier Alternatives to Salty Meals at Your Favorite Chain Restaurants

By KATE BARRETT
May 11, 2009—

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Breakfast/story?id=7552244&page=1

High blood pressure and stroke is also well noted in Japan… where sodium intake is high. Soy sauce actually has a naturally occurring MSG... as do tomatoes in a European diet.

Ask yourselves how much salt you had to eat over the week… and also how many times you ate out.

Here is an article by the National Institute of Health that says
“One important aspect of hypertension prevention and management that has raised questions among scientists and in the media is the effect of sodium consumption on blood pressure. Sodium chloride, or table salt, increases average levels of blood pressure. Some individuals have greater blood pressure responses to salt than others.
Various controlled intervention trials and observational studies have provided strong evidence that consuming a moderately reduced intake of sodium contributes to lowering blood pressure. As yet, science cannot distinguish between those whose blood pressures are and are not more responsive to sodium. Available evidence shows that a moderately reduced intake of dietary sodium causes no harm. Thus, a moderate salt intake is recommended for all Americans to help prevent and treat hypertension, especially in those who are responsive to sodium.

Read article
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/new/press/17-1998.htm

I don’t know about any other AN patients but I know that my tinnitus and hyperacusis go up tenfold when I have too much salt – my balance progress notably regresses.

? So ask yourself what is your salt intake on a weekly base. I am also going to ask how high your daily caffeine intake is.

My family, on both sides, has issues with high blood pressure. I guess I am lucky to not have this. I grew up in a family who drinks copious cups of afternoon tea (and coffee) with marmite on toast and crackers. (Marmite is a British spread with THE highest sodium intake imaginable)

Write down all that you usually eat in a day and then look at the nutritional facts on the packaging to see what daily percentage you have consumed… However if you eat out- you are totally out-of-luck being that they can salt as much as they want… you will have NO idea how much sodium you ingested.

Eat well, get a good night’s sleep, exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes daily (preferably in fresh air) … and see what changes in how you feel. I know I know … such common sense … but truthfully in the this high tech age where we are on the computer, run the treadmill in a sweatshop, and eat on-the-fly this old fashion advice can be challenging to follow.

DHM

? P.S. Is there a link between Caffeine and high blood pressure? You bet there is...

Read
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-pressure/AN00792

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
I had high BP only AFTER surgery, and only for about 2-3 months.  After being on the blood pressure medication for that time, and it slowly resolved.  I also had a fast heartbeat.
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:46:36 am »
My blood pressure was always perfect before surgery. Immediatly after it has been boarderline high.
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »
Once again, I find I'm a bit of an anomaly.  My BP was a little high prior to my AN diagnosis (138/88) but I was also a little overweight (30 pounds).  The loss of my sense of taste (due to my growing AN) caused my appetite to drastically diminish and within 6 months, I had lost almost 35 pounds.  While I was in the hospital, my BP was monitored constantly and it was usually right around 120/80, give or take a few points at any given time.  A nurse told me that just eating a meal can raise your blood pressure.  Although the AN surgery restored my sense of taste, I've managed to avoid gaining back the weight.  My BMI is 21.8.  I don't check my BP very often but the last time I did so (at a drugstore BP machine) it was around 128/78, as I recall.  At age  66, I'll take it.  :)

I've never used salt on my food and avoid anything extra-salty, like potato chips and such.  However, I drink about 8 to 10 cups of coffee (cream, no sugar, thanks) every day and have done this for over 40 years, although I never drink soda.  I'm not recommending heavy caffeine use but so far, caffeine has not had a deleterious effect on my health.  My resting pulse rate is around 70 and my last EKG was 'perfectly normal', according to my PCP.   Just like Mark Twain (and as he once wrote):  "I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting".  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 05:44:33 am »
I wasn't paying attention to how much salt I was getting in prepared meails so on 3/24, my BP was 150/100.  I gave blood at a blood drive on 5/8.  It had to be a medical person like a nurse who took my BP and said it was 110/80 which was good.  I stopped eating prepared meals after 3/24 and reduced salt as much as possible.

On 5/20, the BP was 140/90 at the doctor's office which is better but still high.  I don't know.  Maybe it hasn't been enough time for the BP to recover from all the salt I was getting?  This is why the doctor wanted me to wear a 24 hour BP monitor to see if it was better when I wasn't at the hospital.

I get the results 5/28 which I'll be sure to share.  I'm thinking this is unrelated to my hearing issues.  Thanks for your responses!
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:44 pm »

However, I drink about 8 to 10 cups of coffee (cream, no sugar, thanks) every day and have done this for over 40 years,
Jim

Holy Doodle Scotty! That is a LOT of coffee.  :o You must be either wired (or tired) ALL the time. 10 cups!!! Yowzers!

Beam me up Scotty - that is one heck of a lot of caffeine. You NEED to read that book "Caffeine blues"... you are totally addicted.

Don't worry- I still like you.  ;) You and Michael Gates Gill are going to hit it off at the symposium- big time... you probably have equal experience at grinding and steaming beans. Gee maybe I should invest in stocks with both Starbuck's and Peet's.

Wow- 10 cups huh? We need to pull Lorenzo back into the forum in on this post. (He and I connected on an insomnia post during the wee hours) However I don't think he drank as much as  10 cups. Lorenzo are you there?

DHM (AKA "4")

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 04:59:17 am »
I also drink many, many cups of Italian roast coffee each day. I was thirty five before I started drinking coffee and only did so to warm up on a very cold damp day.  I haven't put the cup down since.  I drink it black. 
 Until two months ago my normal blood pressure was 90/55 and had been for many, many years.  I had a stroke a year after my AN surgery, wasn't told the cause.  I had another stroke on September 30,2008, after Hurricane Ike.  The second was caused by stress and my doctor feels that my now high blood  pressure is also caused by stress, so I take a beta blocker.  My bp was 165/110 for several weeks running.  I use only lite salt, exercise daily and avoid prepared foods.  I also take a water pill because of my lymphedema.
My many, many doctors tell me that you don't have to have high blood pressure to have a stroke or a heart attack.  My Mom was also a person with very low blood pressure and a stroke was the cause of her death.
I think genetics play a huge part in whether or nor you have high blood pressure.  I am anxious tohear how many folks had high blood pressure prior to their An and how many developed it afterwards.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 05:40:09 am »
I don't know.  My father had high blood pressure.  Is he the cause or my tumor? 

I appreciate all of your responses.

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 07:03:14 am »
If you've just noticed this once on an at-home test, I wouldn't panic yet. One, it could be misreading or faulty. Two, in general, I would think STRESS right after diagnosis could play a part! Why are you monitoring your bp at home?

My blood pressure did go up but it was strictly from stress.  Just had it checked again recently -- it's 120/70.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lholl36233

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:45:59 am »
The 3/24 physical it was 150/100.  Giving blood 5/8 it was 110/80.  Follow up at the primary doctor 5/20 it was 140/90 so she wanted to try the 24 hour blood pressure monitor before she put me on pills.  I hope all I have it white coat syndrome but I'll find out 5/28.

Thank you.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 01:11:49 pm »

Holy Doodle Scotty! That is a LOT of coffee.  :o You must be either wired (or tired) ALL the time. 10 cups!!! Yowzers!

Beam me up Scotty - that is one heck of a lot of caffeine. You NEED to read that book "Caffeine blues"... you are totally addicted.

Don't worry- I still like you.  ;) You and Michael Gates Gill are going to hit it off at the symposium- big time... you probably have equal experience at grinding and steaming beans.  Gee maybe I should invest in stocks with both Starbuck's and Peet's.

It's a lot of coffee alright and to further shock you, I've been drinking about 10 cups a day since I was a teenager.  I sleep like a log (7+ hours every night) and I'm far from 'wired' or abnormally tired.  Believe me, should I discover adverse effects from my coffee intake, I would reduce it but in the last 40+ years, I haven't seen any.  At 66, I'm probably in better health than a lot of folks who think caffeine is absolute poison.  My BP is around 130/80, my resting pulse rate hovers around 70, my cholesterol is under 200, my BMI is 21 - and I feel great.  My PCP told me he wishes all of his patents over 60 were as healthy as I am.   Since I don't obsess over what I eat (but I don't over-eat) and don't have an exercise regimen (but I'm not sedentary) I figure I'm blessed with good genes or something.  My father was in his 92nd year when he died - and he didn't 'eat healthy' or exercise.  Not that I think there is anything wrong with being health-conscious - I don't use salt and I avoid sugar, when possible, although I'm not fanatic about it.  I may be caffeine 'addicted' - a loaded word others often use on folks who do something they don't approve of - but 20 years ago, I quit a 30-year smoking habit 'cold turkey' with no problem - and no outside 'help'.  I just quit.  It wasn't all that difficult.  Should my coffee intake ever be proven dangerous to my health (the 'experts' just can't seem to decide) I'll quit that, too, because I chose to.  Meanwhile, I don't obsess over the 'what ifs'.  We live in a world fraught with risks of all kinds; from traffic accidents to unclean air and/or water to terrorist strikes to the ever-present threat of developing a cancer.  I've always lived my life with a certain degree of prudence but I refuse to live according to a philosophy that practically everything I eat, drink or do could be fatal.   If it is, so be it.  I can't do much about most alleged threats to my life....many imagined by researchers seeking government grants or authors shilling their latest 'health' book .  That isn't the way I live - and I don't intend to change at this late date.  Others are free to eat or drink what they choose and to try to avoid every possible risk to their health and well-being.  I'm fine with that.  However, based on my life experience and the lack of concrete evidence to the contrary, I don't see the harm in drinking a lot of coffee - and I never go to Starbucks (too expensive - and pretentious).

I do appreciate your apparent concern for my health and I'm sorry the mentioning of my daily coffee intake shocked you, but I'm fine, thanks.   What might cause someone else health problems is no problem for me.  That could likely apply to a lot of folks who may not eat or drink or exercise according to others standards.   As Mark Twin once wrote - "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits".  As for me, I prefer to 'live and let live' - and I still like you, too.  Now, I think I'll go put the coffee pot on.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.